Rooms for Mythcon?

    Message 1 of 7 , May 24, 2006
      Can anyone tell me what we're supposed to do to reserve our rooms for
      Mythcon? I sent in my money for registration, meals, and the banquet a while ago.
      There was a note on the registration form saying that we would have to
      arrange rooms separately by contacting the hotel. I presumed that I would be
      mailed a progress report with instructions about this. So far I haven't gotten
      anything of that sort. (Hmm, I also just noticed that I haven't received the
      May _Mythprint_ either.) So how do we go about reserving rooms for Mythcon?
      I presume that we need to reserve them fort the period from the evening of
      Friday, August 4th, to the morning of Monday, August 7th, right?

      Message 2 of 7 , May 24, 2006
        The reservation forms are available through a link under "Housing and
        Meals" on the Mythcon web page <http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html>.
        There's a toll free phone number and an online reservation form. (And yes,
        under "University affiliation" we are "CCE Conference Participants" - I asked.)

        The Mythcon page makes clear that the conference runs Friday to Monday.
        Earlier Mythprints, I believe, have announced that rooms should be
        available for Monday night for those wishing to stay over, but not for
        Thursday.

        DB

        At 10:45 AM 5/24/2006 -0400, WendellWag@... wrote:
        >Can anyone tell me what we're supposed to do to reserve our rooms for
        >Mythcon? I sent in my money for registration, meals, and the banquet a
        >while ago.
        >There was a note on the registration form saying that we would have to
        >arrange rooms separately by contacting the hotel. I presumed that I
        would be
        >mailed a progress report with instructions about this. So far I haven't
        >gotten
        >anything of that sort. (Hmm, I also just noticed that I haven't received
        the
        >May _Mythprint_ either.) So how do we go about reserving rooms for
        Mythcon?
        >I presume that we need to reserve them fort the period from the evening of
        >Friday, August 4th, to the morning of Monday, August 7th, right?
      • Lisa Harrigan
        Message 3 of 7 , May 24, 2006
          Hi Wendell

          Room reservation information is at
          http://www.housing.ou.edu/soonerhotel/ They have online and phone in
          registration. Their 800 # is 1-888-777-0477. And they take credit cards.
          Be sure to mention MythCon to get our rate. You have the dates right for
          MythCon.

          May's issue of Mythprint will be combined with June's so that Ellie can
          get the Mythopoeic Award Finalist information into print right before
          she goes on vacation. Finalist deadline is June 1. Normally she does a
          combined June/July issue, but didn't want to wait until after her trip
          to get this Good News out. So the double issue got shifted a month
          early. Expect it in early June.

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa

          PS It's Official! MythCon 39 will be in Bekeley, Aug 3-6, 2007. Info
          will be posted on the MythSoc Website as soon as DavidB gets the page
          finished.

        • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
          Message 4 of 7 , May 24, 2006
            For those of you who don't have easy Internet access, here's the details.
            Make sure you tell them you're with our conference or they may tell you
            there's no rooms.

            The Sooner Hotel & Suites standard room rates range from $39-$135* per
            night, depending on availability and length of stay. Rates are per room or
            suite--single or double occupancy.

            A deposit of one night's rate is required to guarantee reservations. A
            credit card number** at time of booking will also guarantee reservations.
            Be sure to enter your group information, as special rates may apply.

            No pets allowed. Check-in time is 4:00 p.m. and check-out time is 12:00
            noon. Accommodations on the basis of disability are available by
            contacting (405) 329-2270.

            For reservations requests please
            call (405) 329-2270,
            fax (405) 325-7459,
            Toll-Free Phone 1-888-777-0477 (US & Canada),
            Online Reservation Request Form at
            http://www.housing.ou.edu/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=263

            The Sooner Hotel Rooms come in three bed configurations. Bed
            configurations include: Queen / twin combination, single Queen bed, and
            single King bed. All rooms have a private bath, a mini-refrigerator,
            microwave, high speed wireless internet access, telephone with computer
            modem hookup, and cable TV with free HBO and a VCR.

            Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...
            Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)

            WendellWag@...
            Sent by: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
            05/24/2006 07:45 AM
            Please respond to
            mythsoc@yahoogroups.com

            mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
            cc

            Subject
            [mythsoc] Rooms for Mythcon?

            Can anyone tell me what we're supposed to do to reserve our rooms for
            Mythcon? I sent in my money for registration, meals, and the banquet a
            while ago.
            There was a note on the registration form saying that we would have to
            arrange rooms separately by contacting the hotel. I presumed that I
            would be
            mailed a progress report with instructions about this. So far I haven't
            gotten
            anything of that sort. (Hmm, I also just noticed that I haven't received
            the
            May _Mythprint_ either.) So how do we go about reserving rooms for
            Mythcon?
            I presume that we need to reserve them fort the period from the evening
            of
            Friday, August 4th, to the morning of Monday, August 7th, right?

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Visit your group "mythsoc" on the web.

          • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
            Message 5 of 7 , May 24, 2006
              To respond to one of Wendell's concerns about progress reports, don't
              expect any. You may not all realize that the Mythcon 37 committee was
              originally supposed to do Mythcon 38, and moved everything up a year when
              another bid fell through. They saved our bacon and have done a remarkable
              job under the circumstances, but the accelerated schedule has left some
              things by the wayside, progress reports being one of them. If you have
              questions about something, please ask--preferably on this list so others
              can see the answer.

              I hope those of you who haven't yet registered will do so soon, since
              it'll relieve some anxiety for committee members. If you haven't looked at
              the web site lately, please note that I've posted a list of accepted
              papers to whet your appetite. It's linked to the Mythcon page, or you can
              go directly to http://www.mythsoc.org/AcceptedPapers.pdf.

              Come on--how often do you get to dine with a dinosaur?

              Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...
              Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)

            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 7 , May 24, 2006
                Boy, I spend the morning with my site liaison and look what happens!
                Thanks, everyone, for stepping in to answer Wendell's question. I am
                putting together an email progress report, which I will print and mail
                to anyone who didn't give us an email when they registered. Without a
                webmaster, it's a bit harder to put this information on the society's
                webpage, but I'll see what I can do there as well. But I'll give this
                list a few highlights now.

                David and Edith are correct about registration with the hotel. We can't
                get Thursday night because another conferece is there right before us,
                but you can ask to be put on standby. A quick check of Travelocity.com
                will point you to other hotels in Norman if you want to arrive early --
                there's a Super8 which Ginger McElwee reports is "shabby but clean," a
                La Quinta which my parents recommend but which may already be booked
                full that weekend, a Holiday Inn where we put up job interviewees, and
                just about anything in between. All are about 2-3 miles from campus,
                right along Route 35.

                Check-in time is officially 4:00 at the Sooner Hotel, but if rooms are
                ready they will let you in "sooner," and they do have a place to store
                your luggage if you have to wait. We have a great hospitality area on
                the 2nd and 3rd floor landings of the main building, and I'll try to get
                a good selection of local commestibles and bibulations. Remember, we
                also have the cottages -- free-standing buildings with two bedrooms, a
                living room, and an eat-in kitchen in each half. As long as you're not
                allergic to Sooner red and white, you'll enjoy it. We also have nice
                rooms in the conference center for serious video viewing and Bardic
                Circle, but no coordinators, hint hint. The hotel manager is looking
                forward to being initiated into the intricacies of Golfimbul. (I didn't
                tell her we hold it indoors if it rains...and I hope the keepers of the
                Golfimbul equipment are coming!)

                The Commons, where we will be having our meals, is mere steps from the
                conference center, which is mere steps from the hotel and suites. We
                plan to have carpool sign-up sheets for those who want to drive to the
                banquet (a short walk -- maybe 7 minutes), the bookstore signing (about
                15 minutes), or the play (probably 25 minutes). Parking is free and
                plentiful at all these sites and the hotel (conference registrants will
                get a parking tag for the hotel lot).

                Sue is in the building! -- we saw the tyrannosaurus display in place at
                the banquet site in the museum today, and she's mighty impressive. We
                will also have to opportunity to explore the Hall of Ancient Life for
                free sometime before our banquet and see some of the other really nifty
                specimens owned by the museum. My daughter used to volunteer there, and
                if you corner her, she can probably still reel off her tour guide
                speech. The museum has a fantastic gift shop, but you'll have to visit
                during business hours Friday or Saturday because it will be closed
                Sunday evening and all day Monday.

                We are preparing a list of authors and books for the signing and
                reception Friday night -- if you don't know if you're on my list and you
                want to be, let me know. For the people curious about the art show -- we
                do have a coordinator and hope to hammer out the hanging fees by June 1.
                We have at least one firm option for entertainment Saturday night -- the
                Fine Arts department is putting on _Hamlet_ that weekend. I'll have
                reservation information as soon as it's available.

                T-shirts and other memorabilia are available in advance at
                http://cafepress.com/mythcon37. If you don't see the precise
                combination of product and design you want, let me know and I'll set it
                up at my other store at /mrlibn.com -- we can only have one of each
                product in this store unless we pay a monthly fee. Some items will also
                be available at the conference -- probably whatever sells best in
                advance.

                Oklahoma will be HOT HOT HOT and humid at the beginning of August --
                unless it's cold and rainy, of course. Those staying at the Sooner
                Hotel will have free access to the university pool across the street.
                Be sure to plan ahead if you want to walk anywhere or take a campus tour
                -- stay hydrated, wear a hat and sunscreen, and watch for any signs of
                heat exhaustion. But bring a sweater -- air conditioning is a religion
                here...

                Our progress report will also include information on access to the sites
                for those with limited mobility or other special needs, but if you have
                any questions now, please contact me.

                Dinosaurs, Hamlet, great guests of honor, and exotic Oklahoma -- what
                more could you ask?

                Janet Brennan Croft
                Head of Access Services
                University of Oklahoma Libraries