Re: [mythsoc] Barfield and Christianity?

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2006
      Good question. I don't know of any adequate study, and I'd be
      interested in hearing of it if you turn up one. I think the problem
      may be that Barfield was heterodox. Folks who discover him on their
      own usually aren't particularly interested in his religious beliefs,
      which are interesting but don't play a very large role in his work.
      Contrarywise, folks who approach him from the point of view of the
      other Inklings (say, C. S. Lewis) often exaggerate his orthodoxy.
      Most of what Barfield himself has to say on the subject appears in
      UNANCESTRAL VOICE (highly recommended), the third of his Burgeon books.
      --JDR

      P.S.: R. J. Reilly's ROMANTIC RELIGION might be worth checking if you
      want to pursue this and if you can find a copy. It's been far too
      long since I've read this (1978), but as I recall he's better on
      Barfield than any of the other three Inklings he covers (i.e., Lewis,
      Williams, & Tolkien), so there may be something helpful there.