Barfield and Christianity?

  • Kevin Bowring
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2006
      Does anyone know whether something like an adequate study of Barfield's relationship to Christianity has been written? This seems a vexed question.
      Kevin Bowring
    • Sara Ciborski
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22, 2006
        This doesn't address your question, but I am reminded that there is a very interesting website, featuring quotes from Barfield's writings on the evolution of consciousness, that Barfield fans may wish to know about:
        http://www.eyelight.webservepro.com/

        Make sure you enter fully into the site by clicking the "contemplate" link way at the end of the first screen.
        The people who run the site might be able to answer your question.
        Sara Ciborski

        Does anyone know whether something like an adequate study of Barfield's relationship to Christianity has been written? This seems a vexed question.
        Kevin Bowring

      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 3 , May 22, 2006
          Good question. I don't know of any adequate study, and I'd be
          interested in hearing of it if you turn up one. I think the problem
          may be that Barfield was heterodox. Folks who discover him on their
          own usually aren't particularly interested in his religious beliefs,
          which are interesting but don't play a very large role in his work.
          Contrarywise, folks who approach him from the point of view of the
          other Inklings (say, C. S. Lewis) often exaggerate his orthodoxy.
          Most of what Barfield himself has to say on the subject appears in
          UNANCESTRAL VOICE (highly recommended), the third of his Burgeon books.
          --JDR

          P.S.: R. J. Reilly's ROMANTIC RELIGION might be worth checking if you
          want to pursue this and if you can find a copy. It's been far too
          long since I've read this (1978), but as I recall he's better on
          Barfield than any of the other three Inklings he covers (i.e., Lewis,
          Williams, & Tolkien), so there may be something helpful there.