Re: [mythsoc] Cover illustration of Del Rey paperback edition of THE SILMARILLION

  • Jane Bigelow
    Message 1 of 10 , May 19 1:47 PM
      Pretty weird! I haven't seen anything quite like this since the
      sixties. Maybe the beachball thingy is a mushroom.

      Jane

      At 02:12 PM 5/19/06, you wrote:

      >In ordering texts for my Tolkien class at Bradley University next fall,
      >I learned that the trade paperback edition of THE SILMARIILION was out
      >of print. Fallback was Del Rey "The Must-Have Companion To The Epic
      >Masterpiece" mass-market regular size 18 cm. pb, $7.99, which just arrived.
      >
      >What the heck is the cover illustration by Mike Dringenberg?
      >
      >At first glance, it seems like a large shiney silver beach ball with
      >three carbuncles either within it or on it being grasped covetously by a
      >figure with a flowing blue Vegas kind of head-dress, a cape that looks
      >vaguely flamey &/or wingie, and sleeves like golden peacock eyes.
      >
      >No emus, however.
      >
      >Mike
      >

      > >The Mythopoeic Society website
      > <http://www.mythsoc.org>http://www.mythsoc.org
      > >Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > >The Mythopoeic Society website
      > <http://www.mythsoc.org>http://www.mythsoc.org
      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      >The Mythopoeic Society website <http://www.mythsoc.org>http://www.mythsoc.org

      > *
      >

      >----------
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 10 , May 20 5:21 AM
        At yesterday's smial meeting, the Far Westies, aided by a large stand-up
        illustration of the cover in question, decided it must be Varda
        hallowing the Silmarils before all heck broke loose. The head-dress in
        question looks like an owl-moth hybrid. She still looks more like a
        Crazy Horse dancer than a Vala.

        Mike

        Croft, Janet B. wrote:

        >http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345325818/sr=8-2/qid=1148070007/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-8470682-8203301?%5Fencoding=UTF8 This one? That is bizarre. From your description I was picturing something by Leo and Diane Dillon, which at least would have been good even if it didn't totally fit. But yes, at least no emus.
        >

        >Janet Brennan Croft
        >
        >In ordering texts for my Tolkien class at Bradley University next fall, I learned that the trade paperback edition of THE SILMARIILION was out of print. Fallback was Del Rey "The Must-Have Companion To The Epic Masterpiece" mass-market regular size 18 cm. pb, $7.99, which just arrived.
        >
        >What the heck is the cover illustration by Mike Dringenberg?
        >
        >At first glance, it seems like a large shiney silver beach ball with three carbuncles either within it or on it being grasped covetously by a figure with a flowing blue Vegas kind of head-dress, a cape that looks vaguely flamey &/or wingie, and sleeves like golden peacock eyes.
        >
        >No emus, however.
        >
        >Mike
        >

        >>The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org Yahoo! Groups
        >>Links
        >>

        >>The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org Yahoo! Groups
        >>Links

        >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Home is just a click away. Make Yahoo! your home page now.
        >http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 10 , May 22 4:39 PM
          Douglas A. Anderson has seen the larger work at a recent Con and reports
          that this is a portion of a larger painting depicting Feanor's creation
          of the Silmarils.

          Mike