RE: [mythsoc] Cover illustration of Del Rey paperback edition of THE SILMARILLION

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 10 , May 19, 2006
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345325818/sr=8-2/qid=1148070007/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-8470682-8203301?%5Fencoding=UTF8 This one? That is bizarre. From your description I was picturing something by Leo and Diane Dillon, which at least would have been good even if it didn't totally fit. But yes, at least no emus.

      Janet Brennan Croft

      In ordering texts for my Tolkien class at Bradley University next fall, I learned that the trade paperback edition of THE SILMARIILION was out of print. Fallback was Del Rey "The Must-Have Companion To The Epic Masterpiece" mass-market regular size 18 cm. pb, $7.99, which just arrived.

      What the heck is the cover illustration by Mike Dringenberg?

      At first glance, it seems like a large shiney silver beach ball with three carbuncles either within it or on it being grasped covetously by a figure with a flowing blue Vegas kind of head-dress, a cape that looks vaguely flamey &/or wingie, and sleeves like golden peacock eyes.

      No emus, however.

      Mike

      >The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org Yahoo! Groups
      >Links
      >

      >The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org Yahoo! Groups
      >Links

      ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Home is just a click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now.
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM
    • Jane Bigelow
      Message 2 of 10 , May 19, 2006
        Pretty weird! I haven't seen anything quite like this since the
        sixties. Maybe the beachball thingy is a mushroom.

        Jane

        At 02:12 PM 5/19/06, you wrote:

        >In ordering texts for my Tolkien class at Bradley University next fall,
        >I learned that the trade paperback edition of THE SILMARIILION was out
        >of print. Fallback was Del Rey "The Must-Have Companion To The Epic
        >Masterpiece" mass-market regular size 18 cm. pb, $7.99, which just arrived.
        >
        >What the heck is the cover illustration by Mike Dringenberg?
        >
        >At first glance, it seems like a large shiney silver beach ball with
        >three carbuncles either within it or on it being grasped covetously by a
        >figure with a flowing blue Vegas kind of head-dress, a cape that looks
        >vaguely flamey &/or wingie, and sleeves like golden peacock eyes.
        >
        >No emus, however.
        >
        >Mike
        >

        > >The Mythopoeic Society website
        > <http://www.mythsoc.org>http://www.mythsoc.org
        > >Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        > >The Mythopoeic Society website
        > <http://www.mythsoc.org>http://www.mythsoc.org
        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

        >The Mythopoeic Society website <http://www.mythsoc.org>http://www.mythsoc.org

        > *
        >

        >----------
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 10 , May 20, 2006
          At yesterday's smial meeting, the Far Westies, aided by a large stand-up
          illustration of the cover in question, decided it must be Varda
          hallowing the Silmarils before all heck broke loose. The head-dress in
          question looks like an owl-moth hybrid. She still looks more like a
          Crazy Horse dancer than a Vala.

          Mike

          Croft, Janet B. wrote:

          >http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345325818/sr=8-2/qid=1148070007/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-8470682-8203301?%5Fencoding=UTF8 This one? That is bizarre. From your description I was picturing something by Leo and Diane Dillon, which at least would have been good even if it didn't totally fit. But yes, at least no emus.
          >

          >Janet Brennan Croft
          >
          >In ordering texts for my Tolkien class at Bradley University next fall, I learned that the trade paperback edition of THE SILMARIILION was out of print. Fallback was Del Rey "The Must-Have Companion To The Epic Masterpiece" mass-market regular size 18 cm. pb, $7.99, which just arrived.
          >
          >What the heck is the cover illustration by Mike Dringenberg?
          >
          >At first glance, it seems like a large shiney silver beach ball with three carbuncles either within it or on it being grasped covetously by a figure with a flowing blue Vegas kind of head-dress, a cape that looks vaguely flamey &/or wingie, and sleeves like golden peacock eyes.
          >
          >No emus, however.
          >
          >Mike
          >

          >>The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org Yahoo! Groups
          >>Links
          >>

          >>The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org Yahoo! Groups
          >>Links

          >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Home is just a click away. Make Yahoo! your home page now.
          >http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 10 , May 22, 2006
            Douglas A. Anderson has seen the larger work at a recent Con and reports
            that this is a portion of a larger painting depicting Feanor's creation
            of the Silmarils.

            Mike