Fw: C.S. Lewis Summer Institute 2006--FYI

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2006
      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)
      ----- Forwarded by Edith Crowe/SJSU on 05/15/2006 09:57 AM -----

      05/11/2006 10:57 AM

      C.S. Lewis Summer Institute 2006--The REAL Email!

      The C.S. Lewis Foundation is in the final stages of preparing for its
      inaugural stateside Summer Instituteâ?"Love Among the Ruins: On the
      Renewal of Character and Cultureâ?"to be held at Williams College (MA), a
      beautiful New England setting in the Berkshire Mountains, Americaâ?Ts
      premier cultural retreat destination.

      We have worked tirelessly to design a conference for believers and seekers
      who love Lewis and who care about the world of ideasâ?"in making a
      difference within the culture to which we are called and among the people
      who are yearning for true love and significance amid the ruins of much of
      contemporary life. We are truly grateful for the tremendous program and
      faculty we have been led to bring together to this end.

      On that note, if you have not yet visited our website, I urge you to do so
      now (www.cslewis.org). There you will find the wide variety of offerings
      (speakers, performances, seminars, etc) we have lined up for this
      conference, including an evening with the Boston Symphony at Tanglewood,
      among others. Whatever your age, background, or interests, we have
      something that will spark your interest. Among the many options, consider
      the following:

      -Children's Program
      For children ages 8-12 interested in â?oPursuing Prince Caspianâ? (age
      exceptions gladly considered on an individual basis!), this Narnia-themed
      program will engage and enrich young minds eager to follow Aslan in their
      own unique ways.

      -College-Bound Track:
      For college-bound high school juniors and seniors, this seminar (taught by
      Chris Nichols, New England Regional Director of InterVarsity Christian
      Fellowship) will explore what it takes for a Christian student to
      surviveâ?"and thriveâ?"on a secular university campus.

      -Creative Writing Workshop:
      Taught by prolific poet and playwright Jeanne Murray Walker, this
      writerâ?Ts workshop offers the chance to improve your craft by writing and
      critiquing new work in a friendly group setting.

      -Visual Arts Workshop:
      This weekday workshop by acclaimed painter and master teacher Richard
      Harden is designed for artists of all levels who wish to learn more about
      contemporary drawing techniques and postmodern aesthetics.

      -Dance Workshop:
      For all dancers and choreographers--Don't miss this unique opportunity to
      bring your artistic work for performance, critical feedback and discussion
      led by Amy Yopp Sullivan of SUNY-Stony Brook in the breathtaking,
      brand-new 62' Center for Theater and Dance.

      -Theater Workshop:
      Develop, critique, and perform new theatrical pieces in this workshop led
      by Jeffrey Miller, former cast member of the renowned Lamb's Players of
      San Diego and current Director of Theater at Gordon College.

      -Institute Choir:
      Join Tom Brooks, Chair of the Music Department at Gordon College, along
      with a select company of Gordon's chamber singers, for rehearsal and
      participation in worship services and performance during the conference.

      -Outdoor Education:
      Taking full advantage of the beautiful environment of the Berkshires,
      crowned with the majesty of nearby Mt. Greylock, experience outdoor
      educator and Lewis aficionado, Matt Dominguez, of Wheaton Academy.

      If none of those spark your interest, rest assured youâ?Tll find much to
      enjoy in our full 9-day schedule. And if you cannot make it for the whole
      conference, you'll be pleased to know that we are also taking
      registrations for either (or both) of the two weekends (July 7-9 or 14-16)

      For more information, visit our website, call toll-free 1-888-CSLEWIS, or
      email our registrar, Brett McCracken, at brett@....

      We pray you will be able to join us this summer for what is sure to be
      another unforgettable experience of enrichment for the heart, mind, body
      and soul! If Pastor Rick Warren's praise of our former Summer Institutes
      is any indication, you will not want to miss this opportunity!

      "If you want something that will enrich your life, that will take you
      deeper, that will help you love God with all your mind, I donâ?Tt know
      that I could recommend anything more highly than the Summer Institute put
      on by the C.S. Lewis Foundation."
      -Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life
      Yours for the journey,
      Stan Mattson
      Founder and President
      C.S. Lewis Foundation
      We apologize if you should receive this e-mail more than once. To
      unsubscribe please reply to this message with the word "Remove" in the
      subject field, or contact the C.S. Lewis Foundation directly at

      C.S. Lewis Foundation
      P.O. Box 8008
      Redlands, CA 92375

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 2 , May 16, 2006
        . . . TOLKIEN STUDIES, vol. III.

        The review section alone is worth the price of the journal (which
        isn't cheap).

        Highly recommended.