Re: [mythsoc] An old fairy tale series

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 25, 2000
      In a message dated 06/25/2000 5:31:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      << Well, this year at the party, she told me that
      she ordered one of the Lang books, and that's not the series she remembers
      reading as a child. Can anyone suggest some other fairy tale series that
      she
      might have read? >>

      I love those books! I only have the blue one. Is it at all possible that
      the bindings have changed and the one(s) she remembers is just a different
      one than the new one she has seen?

      Lizzie
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 25, 2000
        In a message dated 6/25/00 7:59:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        ERATRIANO@... writes:

        << I love those books! I only have the blue one. Is it at all possible that
        the bindings have changed and the one(s) she remembers is just a different
        one than the new one she has seen? >>

        She swears to me that the books she remembers are not the Lang books and the
        difference is not just the covers.

        Wendell Wagner
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
          In a message dated 06/25/2000 8:02:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          WendellWag@... writes:

          << She swears to me that the books she remembers are not the Lang books and
          the
          difference is not just the covers. >>
          Yes, and then later I caught the other argument. Oh, but the Lang books are
          so good too, worth the moment of fame here doncha think? And even the
          illustrations.... Anyone else remember The Little Lame Prince? I liked that
          one a lot. Can't recall the author offhand.... I have a copy somewhere.

          Lizzie
        • Diane Joy Baker
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
              In a message dated 6/26/00 7:57:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              dianejoy@... writes:

              << I believe that each color represented a
              series of fairy tales from different countries, but I don't know which
              colors go with which countries. >>

              Not true as far as I've been able to check. I just looked through my copies
              of the Lang books and in so far as I can tell each of the books contains a
              number of different sources for the stories. In any case, the Lang books are
              in print from Dover Books for a reasonably cheap price, so you can check for
              yourself.

              Wendell Wagner
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                In a message dated 6/26/00 5:31:57 AM Central Daylight Time,
                ERATRIANO@... writes:

                > Anyone else remember The Little Lame Prince? I liked that
                > one a lot. Can't recall the author offhand.... I have a copy somewhere.

                Antoine de St. Exupery. Yes, loved his pictures, though I didn't care much
                for the text.

                Mary S
              • Wayne G. Hammond
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                  >> Anyone else remember The Little Lame Prince? I liked that
                  >> one a lot. Can't recall the author offhand.... I have a copy somewhere.
                  >
                  >Antoine de St. Exupery. Yes, loved his pictures, though I didn't care much
                  >for the text.

                  Antoine de Saint-Exupery wrote _The Little Prince_, but _The Little Lame
                  Prince_ is by Dinah Mulock.

                  Wayne Hammond
                • Julia Palffy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                    For Sophie and Diane, and anyone else interested in this series, they were
                    originally collated and edited by Andrew Lang (or rather under his
                    supervision, see introductions). I had long wanted to read them, as Andrew
                    Lang is mentioned by both J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis in their respective
                    essays on fairy tales and storytelling. Some time ago, I made a search in
                    Amazon.com and discovered that they all had been or were being reprinted by
                    Dover with the original illustrations. There are twelve in all, here's the
                    list:

                    The Red Fairy Book (to be published this year, not yet available so far)
                    The Blue Fairy Book (ditto)
                    The Green Fairy Book
                    These were the original first three volumes. Then come (in no particular
                    order...)
                    The Yellow Fairy Book
                    The Orange Fairy Book
                    The Pink Fairy Book
                    The Crimson Fairy Book
                    The Lilac Fairy Book
                    The Violet Fairy Book
                    The Grey Fairy Book
                    The Brown Fairy Book
                    The Olive Fairy Book (to be published this year, not yet available)

                    The colours don't stand each for a country, though each volume does have a
                    dominant note which is more a region of the world (the Orient, or Africa)or
                    a genre. At the end of each tale is a brief mention of the editor's source,
                    often enough a title in German. I believe these refer to the series "Die
                    Märchen der Weltliteratur", published by Eugen Diedrichs Verlag in Munich.
                    This in turn seems to be a reference collection, as I keep seeing titles
                    from it quoted in works of Jungian psychology, folklore studies, or anything
                    in German that touches in any way on fairy tales.

                    Enjoy!

                    Julia Palffy
                    Zug, Switzerland
                    jupalffy@...
                  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                      In a message dated 06/26/2000 4:11:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      Stolzi@... writes:

                      << Antoine de St. Exupery. Yes, loved his pictures, though I didn't care
                      much
                      for the text.

                      Ah, no no no! LOL. Not The Little Prince... but a much rarer book called,
                      really it is called, The Little Lame Prince. Oh, I see Wayne has the author
                      at hand. Thank you, sir.

                      Lizzie
                    • Sophie Masson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                        Hi Wendell
                        The name was the same: Le Livre Blue de Contes de Fees--it has Rapunzel,
                        Beauty and the Beast, and toads and Diamonds..I used to love poring over the
                        pictures..
                        Sophie
                        Author site:
                        http://members.xoom.com/sophiecastel/default.htm

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                          In a message dated 6/26/00 3:20:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
                          Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

                          > Antoine de Saint-Exupery wrote _The Little Prince_, but _The Little Lame
                          > Prince_ is by Dinah Mulock.

                          Oh BOY did I blow that one!?! Color me red-faced.

                          Yes, and I read (often) and loved the Little Lame Prince.

                          Mary S
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                            Thanks for the information, Julia. A minor correction, though:

                            All twelve of the Lang books have been in print for quite some time now from
                            Dover. I think I got my copy of all twelve books about five years ago, and
                            they were all immediately available at that time. It may be that Dover is
                            temporarily out of stock of a couple of them and isn't reprinting them until
                            later this year, but that's just a temporary condition. They've been
                            offering the books in their catalog for years now.

                            It now appears to me that there are three entirely different series of
                            collections of fairy tales which have color names for the individual books.
                            These are not reprints of the same books, but entirely different series. (Of
                            course, the second and third of these series probably came about because the
                            publishers said, "Hey, let's put out our own series of fairy tale books, and
                            let's steal the idea of naming the books after the color of their covers from
                            Lang.)

                            The first series is Lang's, and it came out between 1889 and 1910. The
                            second was from Whitman Publishing Company, and it came out in the '30's and
                            the '40's. The third was from Little Golden Books, and it came out in the
                            '60's and the '70's. Interestingly, it seems that about every 30 or 40 years
                            some publisher decides to do a new series of color-named fairy tale
                            collections. So someone should be doing a new series soon, I guess.

                            Wendell Wagner
                          • Julia Palffy
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 27, 2000
                              Wendell Wag wrote:

                              They've been
                              > offering the books in their catalog for years now.

                              Right, I do recall now seeing copyright dates from the 60's in some of the
                              volumes. I know I tried looking them up in Books in Print about fifteen
                              years ago, when I was hunting up anything related to Tolkien and Lewis, and
                              didn't find anything, or got doubtful results. I was so delighted at being
                              able to get most of the series all at once after so many years that I didn't
                              pay much attention to the dates. I didn't know there had been other such
                              series (I read your first posting about them after sending my own response).

                              I was also able to find at long last the last volume of Meredith Ann
                              Pierce's "Darkangel trilogy". I'd enjoyed the first two volumes very much
                              when I first bought them - also about fifteen years ago - but the third
                              volume was out of print then and was only published in paperback last year.
                              I'd been very curious about the way the author finished the trilogy ever
                              since I discovered her source of inspiration to have been the fantasies of
                              one of C.G. Jung's patients, which he tells about in his autobiography
                              "Erinnerungen, Träume, Gedanken" (i.e. Memories, Dreams, Thoughts).

                              Does anyone else know these and other books by Pierce? What are the other
                              ones like?

                              Julia Palffy
                              Zug, Switzerland
                              jupalffy@...