Re: reviews in MYTHPRINT

  • mlcvamp@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 12, 2006
      At the risk of sounding pushy, I wonder if anyone might be interested
      in reviewing the two fantasy novels my husband and I wrote in
      collaboration, WILD SORCERESS and BESIEGED ADEPT? Ellie told me she was
      having trouble finding enough reviewers but would print a review if I
      could find someone willing to write it.

      You can get info on the books at the publisher's site,
      www.amberquill.com, if interested (easiest way is to click my name on
      the "Authors" list). I can send e-book files if you like reading that
      way, or I can have trade paperbacks shipped to you. Thanks.

      My essay on paranormal romance, with 2 books reviewed as examples,
      appears in the newest MYTHPRINT (thanks, Ellie!). Hope some of you
      found it interesting.

      I was thrilled to read about the recently published Dorothy Sayers
      detective story from the Mythopoeic Press. I can't find mention of it
      in the list of publications on the Society's website, though, so the
      only way I know to order it is from Amazon.com. And they predict a wait
      of 2 weeks or more, which always makes me suspicious as to whether they
      can get it at all. Can anyone tell me how to order the book directly
      from the Society? There doesn't seem to be an ad for it in this
      MYTHPRINT.

      Margaret L. Carter
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 10 , May 12, 2006
        Here's the ordering information for Travelling Rug:
        http://www.mythsoc.org/travellingrug.html

        I'm not sure if it will be quicker right now to order from our page --
        our supplier is moving her store, and she told me she just sent a box of
        copies off to Amazon, so they may have enough on hand for quicker
        shipping very soon.

        Thanaks for the review, Edith! There's a review in the July 2006 Ellery
        Queen as well, which should also boost sales.

        Janet

        Janet Brennan Croft
        Head of Access Services
        University of Oklahoma Libraries
        Bizzell 104NW
        Norman OK 73019
        405-325-1918
        Fax 405-325-7618
        jbcroft@...
        http://libraries.ou.edu/

[...]

        You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free. See
        how.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM

        Links
      • Beth Russell
        Message 3 of 10 , May 13, 2006
          Dear Ms Carter,

          To find "The Travelling Rug" on the Mythsoc website, go to the homepage,
          then click on "Mythopoeic Press" located in the column on the left.
          "Travelling Rug" still listed as 'forthcoming' but it has been out for a
          little while now. You can click there to order the book through the
          website.

          If you do not want to use Paypal through the website, you can order
          directly from the Orders Department, which is me: Beth Russell of
          Russell Books.

          Phone number: 318-865-5198 (Tues - Sat 10-5 CST).

          Email: russells@...

          We can take your Visa or MC, or check or money order in US currency.

          So glad you are interested in the Sayers story -- it is a good one!

          Cheers,

          Beth
          BOOKS - D & B Russell

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 10 , May 14, 2006
            A reminder to all especially the listmeister that I have a new E-mail
            address, mafoster@hughesnet. Most of the recent colloquy has gone to my
            old address, where I can read it with difficulty and respond to it not
            at all.

            Cheers,
            Mike Foster

          • Beth Russell
            Message 5 of 10 , May 19, 2006
              Dear Janet and All,

              We are still filling orders daily as they come in.

              We are (way) behind paperwork, but not on orders.

              Cheers,

              Beth

              Message 6 of 10 , May 19, 2006
                In ordering texts for my Tolkien class at Bradley University next fall,
                I learned that the trade paperback edition of THE SILMARIILION was out
                of print. Fallback was Del Rey "The Must-Have Companion To The Epic
                Masterpiece" mass-market regular size 18 cm. pb, $7.99, which just arrived.

                What the heck is the cover illustration by Mike Dringenberg?

                At first glance, it seems like a large shiney silver beach ball with
                three carbuncles either within it or on it being grasped covetously by a
                figure with a flowing blue Vegas kind of head-dress, a cape that looks
                vaguely flamey &/or wingie, and sleeves like golden peacock eyes.

                No emus, however.

                Mike

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Croft, Janet B.
                Message 7 of 10 , May 19, 2006
                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345325818/sr=8-2/qid=1148070007/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-8470682-8203301?%5Fencoding=UTF8 This one? That is bizarre. From your description I was picturing something by Leo and Diane Dillon, which at least would have been good even if it didn't totally fit. But yes, at least no emus.

                  Janet Brennan Croft

                  In ordering texts for my Tolkien class at Bradley University next fall, I learned that the trade paperback edition of THE SILMARIILION was out of print. Fallback was Del Rey "The Must-Have Companion To The Epic Masterpiece" mass-market regular size 18 cm. pb, $7.99, which just arrived.

                  What the heck is the cover illustration by Mike Dringenberg?

                  At first glance, it seems like a large shiney silver beach ball with three carbuncles either within it or on it being grasped covetously by a figure with a flowing blue Vegas kind of head-dress, a cape that looks vaguely flamey &/or wingie, and sleeves like golden peacock eyes.

                  No emus, however.

                  Mike

                  >The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org Yahoo! Groups
                  >Links
                  >

                  >The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org Yahoo! Groups
                  >Links

                  ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Home is just a click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now.
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM
                • Jane Bigelow
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 19, 2006
                    Pretty weird! I haven't seen anything quite like this since the
                    sixties. Maybe the beachball thingy is a mushroom.

                    Jane

                    At 02:12 PM 5/19/06, you wrote:

                    >In ordering texts for my Tolkien class at Bradley University next fall,
                    >I learned that the trade paperback edition of THE SILMARIILION was out
                    >of print. Fallback was Del Rey "The Must-Have Companion To The Epic
                    >Masterpiece" mass-market regular size 18 cm. pb, $7.99, which just arrived.
                    >
                    >What the heck is the cover illustration by Mike Dringenberg?
                    >
                    >At first glance, it seems like a large shiney silver beach ball with
                    >three carbuncles either within it or on it being grasped covetously by a
                    >figure with a flowing blue Vegas kind of head-dress, a cape that looks
                    >vaguely flamey &/or wingie, and sleeves like golden peacock eyes.
                    >
                    >No emus, however.
                    >
                    >Mike
                    >

                    > >The Mythopoeic Society website
                    > <http://www.mythsoc.org>http://www.mythsoc.org
                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                    > >

                    > >The Mythopoeic Society website
                    > <http://www.mythsoc.org>http://www.mythsoc.org
                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    >The Mythopoeic Society website <http://www.mythsoc.org>http://www.mythsoc.org

                    > *
                    >

                    >----------
                  • Mike Foster
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 20, 2006
                      At yesterday's smial meeting, the Far Westies, aided by a large stand-up
                      illustration of the cover in question, decided it must be Varda
                      hallowing the Silmarils before all heck broke loose. The head-dress in
                      question looks like an owl-moth hybrid. She still looks more like a
                      Crazy Horse dancer than a Vala.

                      Mike

                      Croft, Janet B. wrote:

                      >http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345325818/sr=8-2/qid=1148070007/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-8470682-8203301?%5Fencoding=UTF8 This one? That is bizarre. From your description I was picturing something by Leo and Diane Dillon, which at least would have been good even if it didn't totally fit. But yes, at least no emus.
                      >

                      >Janet Brennan Croft
                      >
                      >In ordering texts for my Tolkien class at Bradley University next fall, I learned that the trade paperback edition of THE SILMARIILION was out of print. Fallback was Del Rey "The Must-Have Companion To The Epic Masterpiece" mass-market regular size 18 cm. pb, $7.99, which just arrived.
                      >
                      >What the heck is the cover illustration by Mike Dringenberg?
                      >
                      >At first glance, it seems like a large shiney silver beach ball with three carbuncles either within it or on it being grasped covetously by a figure with a flowing blue Vegas kind of head-dress, a cape that looks vaguely flamey &/or wingie, and sleeves like golden peacock eyes.
                      >
                      >No emus, however.
                      >
                      >Mike
                      >

                      >>The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org Yahoo! Groups
                      >>Links
                      >>

                      >>The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org Yahoo! Groups
                      >>Links

                      >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Home is just a click away. Make Yahoo! your home page now.
                      >http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Mike Foster
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 22, 2006
                        Douglas A. Anderson has seen the larger work at a recent Con and reports
                        that this is a portion of a larger painting depicting Feanor's creation
                        of the Silmarils.

                        Mike