Re: [mythsoc] An old fairy tale series

  • Sophie Masson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 25, 2000
      The first book I remember looking at as a child(I was born in 1959)was a
      book of three fairytalescalled The Blue Book of Fairy Tales..That one was in
      French, as I'm a native speaker of that..but I found the English-language
      edition of the same book years later in a 2nd hand bookshop here in
      Australia; it was a Little Golden Book..perhaps they put out a series of
      these?
      Sophie
      Author site:
      http://members.xoom.com/sophiecastel/default.htm

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 25, 2000
        In a message dated 6/25/00 6:47:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        smasson@... writes:

        << The first book I remember looking at as a child(I was born in 1959)was a
        book of three fairytalescalled The Blue Book of Fairy Tales..That one was in
        French, as I'm a native speaker of that..but I found the English-language
        edition of the same book years later in a 2nd hand bookshop here in
        Australia; it was a Little Golden Book..perhaps they put out a series of
        these? >>

        O.K., I just checked in abebooks.com. There are at least two series besides
        Lang's of fairy tales with color names for the books. There's the Little
        Golden Books that Sophie mentions, but those came out in the '60's and '70's,
        way too recent to be the books that Mary's mother mentioned. There's also a
        series put out in the '30's and '40's by Whitman Publishing Company. I've
        found several books in this series by trying various color names as _The
        _____ Book of Fairy Tales_, but I don't know how to figure out the entire
        series. It seems to be long out of print. This is probably the series that
        Mary's mother was talking about.

        Sophie, what was the French title for _The Blue Book of Fairy Tales_ that you
        remember?

        Wendell Wagner
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 25, 2000
          In a message dated 06/25/2000 5:31:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          WendellWag@... writes:

          << Well, this year at the party, she told me that
          she ordered one of the Lang books, and that's not the series she remembers
          reading as a child. Can anyone suggest some other fairy tale series that
          she
          might have read? >>

          I love those books! I only have the blue one. Is it at all possible that
          the bindings have changed and the one(s) she remembers is just a different
          one than the new one she has seen?

          Lizzie
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 25, 2000
            In a message dated 6/25/00 7:59:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            ERATRIANO@... writes:

            << I love those books! I only have the blue one. Is it at all possible that
            the bindings have changed and the one(s) she remembers is just a different
            one than the new one she has seen? >>

            She swears to me that the books she remembers are not the Lang books and the
            difference is not just the covers.

            Wendell Wagner
          • ERATRIANO@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
              In a message dated 06/25/2000 8:02:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              WendellWag@... writes:

              << She swears to me that the books she remembers are not the Lang books and
              the
              difference is not just the covers. >>
              Yes, and then later I caught the other argument. Oh, but the Lang books are
              so good too, worth the moment of fame here doncha think? And even the
              illustrations.... Anyone else remember The Little Lame Prince? I liked that
              one a lot. Can't recall the author offhand.... I have a copy somewhere.

              Lizzie
            • Diane Joy Baker
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                  In a message dated 6/26/00 7:57:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  dianejoy@... writes:

                  << I believe that each color represented a
                  series of fairy tales from different countries, but I don't know which
                  colors go with which countries. >>

                  Not true as far as I've been able to check. I just looked through my copies
                  of the Lang books and in so far as I can tell each of the books contains a
                  number of different sources for the stories. In any case, the Lang books are
                  in print from Dover Books for a reasonably cheap price, so you can check for
                  yourself.

                  Wendell Wagner
                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                    In a message dated 6/26/00 5:31:57 AM Central Daylight Time,
                    ERATRIANO@... writes:

                    > Anyone else remember The Little Lame Prince? I liked that
                    > one a lot. Can't recall the author offhand.... I have a copy somewhere.

                    Antoine de St. Exupery. Yes, loved his pictures, though I didn't care much
                    for the text.

                    Mary S
                  • Wayne G. Hammond
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                      >> Anyone else remember The Little Lame Prince? I liked that
                      >> one a lot. Can't recall the author offhand.... I have a copy somewhere.
                      >
                      >Antoine de St. Exupery. Yes, loved his pictures, though I didn't care much
                      >for the text.

                      Antoine de Saint-Exupery wrote _The Little Prince_, but _The Little Lame
                      Prince_ is by Dinah Mulock.

                      Wayne Hammond
                    • Julia Palffy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                        For Sophie and Diane, and anyone else interested in this series, they were
                        originally collated and edited by Andrew Lang (or rather under his
                        supervision, see introductions). I had long wanted to read them, as Andrew
                        Lang is mentioned by both J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis in their respective
                        essays on fairy tales and storytelling. Some time ago, I made a search in
                        Amazon.com and discovered that they all had been or were being reprinted by
                        Dover with the original illustrations. There are twelve in all, here's the
                        list:

                        The Red Fairy Book (to be published this year, not yet available so far)
                        The Blue Fairy Book (ditto)
                        The Green Fairy Book
                        These were the original first three volumes. Then come (in no particular
                        order...)
                        The Yellow Fairy Book
                        The Orange Fairy Book
                        The Pink Fairy Book
                        The Crimson Fairy Book
                        The Lilac Fairy Book
                        The Violet Fairy Book
                        The Grey Fairy Book
                        The Brown Fairy Book
                        The Olive Fairy Book (to be published this year, not yet available)

                        The colours don't stand each for a country, though each volume does have a
                        dominant note which is more a region of the world (the Orient, or Africa)or
                        a genre. At the end of each tale is a brief mention of the editor's source,
                        often enough a title in German. I believe these refer to the series "Die
                        Märchen der Weltliteratur", published by Eugen Diedrichs Verlag in Munich.
                        This in turn seems to be a reference collection, as I keep seeing titles
                        from it quoted in works of Jungian psychology, folklore studies, or anything
                        in German that touches in any way on fairy tales.

                        Enjoy!

                        Julia Palffy
                        Zug, Switzerland
                        jupalffy@...
                      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                          In a message dated 06/26/2000 4:11:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                          Stolzi@... writes:

                          << Antoine de St. Exupery. Yes, loved his pictures, though I didn't care
                          much
                          for the text.

                          Ah, no no no! LOL. Not The Little Prince... but a much rarer book called,
                          really it is called, The Little Lame Prince. Oh, I see Wayne has the author
                          at hand. Thank you, sir.

                          Lizzie
                        • Sophie Masson
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                            Hi Wendell
                            The name was the same: Le Livre Blue de Contes de Fees--it has Rapunzel,
                            Beauty and the Beast, and toads and Diamonds..I used to love poring over the
                            pictures..

                          • Stolzi@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                              In a message dated 6/26/00 3:20:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
                              Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

                              > Antoine de Saint-Exupery wrote _The Little Prince_, but _The Little Lame
                              > Prince_ is by Dinah Mulock.

                              Oh BOY did I blow that one!?! Color me red-faced.

                              Yes, and I read (often) and loved the Little Lame Prince.

                              Mary S
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
                                Thanks for the information, Julia. A minor correction, though:

                                All twelve of the Lang books have been in print for quite some time now from
                                Dover. I think I got my copy of all twelve books about five years ago, and
                                they were all immediately available at that time. It may be that Dover is
                                temporarily out of stock of a couple of them and isn't reprinting them until
                                later this year, but that's just a temporary condition. They've been
                                offering the books in their catalog for years now.

                                It now appears to me that there are three entirely different series of
                                collections of fairy tales which have color names for the individual books.
                                These are not reprints of the same books, but entirely different series. (Of
                                course, the second and third of these series probably came about because the
                                publishers said, "Hey, let's put out our own series of fairy tale books, and
                                let's steal the idea of naming the books after the color of their covers from
                                Lang.)

                                The first series is Lang's, and it came out between 1889 and 1910. The
                                second was from Whitman Publishing Company, and it came out in the '30's and
                                the '40's. The third was from Little Golden Books, and it came out in the
                                '60's and the '70's. Interestingly, it seems that about every 30 or 40 years
                                some publisher decides to do a new series of color-named fairy tale
                                collections. So someone should be doing a new series soon, I guess.

                                Wendell Wagner
                              • Julia Palffy
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 27, 2000
                                  Wendell Wag wrote:

                                  They've been
                                  > offering the books in their catalog for years now.

                                  Right, I do recall now seeing copyright dates from the 60's in some of the
                                  volumes. I know I tried looking them up in Books in Print about fifteen
                                  years ago, when I was hunting up anything related to Tolkien and Lewis, and
                                  didn't find anything, or got doubtful results. I was so delighted at being
                                  able to get most of the series all at once after so many years that I didn't
                                  pay much attention to the dates. I didn't know there had been other such
                                  series (I read your first posting about them after sending my own response).

                                  I was also able to find at long last the last volume of Meredith Ann
                                  Pierce's "Darkangel trilogy". I'd enjoyed the first two volumes very much
                                  when I first bought them - also about fifteen years ago - but the third
                                  volume was out of print then and was only published in paperback last year.
                                  I'd been very curious about the way the author finished the trilogy ever
                                  since I discovered her source of inspiration to have been the fantasies of
                                  one of C.G. Jung's patients, which he tells about in his autobiography
                                  "Erinnerungen, Träume, Gedanken" (i.e. Memories, Dreams, Thoughts).

                                  Does anyone else know these and other books by Pierce? What are the other
                                  ones like?

                                  Julia Palffy
                                  Zug, Switzerland
                                  jupalffy@...