Re: [mythsoc] Mark Twain visits Middle Earth

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2006
      Well, it was news to me when I discovered it two years ago. I discuss
      it in my paper in the new Blackwelder festschrift (page 93) in the
      section comparing Tolkien and Twain as creators of lost worlds (The
      Papers of the Adam Family), but that passage got cut from the oral
      presentation because of time constraints. It's unlikely that Tolkien
      read this story (written in 1870 but not appearing in book form until
      1919) though possible. I think Twain, along with Cabell, the most
      important American author of fantasy in the early decades of the
      twentieth century, but readers of fantasy hardly know his fantasy
      works exist: people working on Twain don't think of it as fantasy and
      people working on fantasy don't think to look at Twain. Ah well.
      --JDR

      On Apr 13, 2006, at 7:25 AM, Stolzi wrote:
      > I feel like I've seen this somewhere before, but it did startle me
      > when
      > reading a new bio of Twain:
      >
      > 'He found time to knock off a piece for the October ATLANTIC... that
      > modestly proposed a change in the suffrage laws... "The Curious
      > Republic of
      > Gondour" ' - MARK TWAIN: A LIFE, Ron Powers, p. 378
      >
      > http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/gondour.html has the text.

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13, 2006
        John,
        Since I read the Twain-Tolkien connection in your paper in the
        Blackwelder book yesterday, recalling it not from your Marquette talk

        because of time constraints

        , just after writing on Adventures of Tom Sawyer for the American
        Chesterton Society's Gilbert magazine, your argument forwarding Twain as
        fantasist seems one worth pursuing.

        Note also Twain's "autoplagiarism."

        Anon,
        Mike