Mark Twain visits Middle Earth

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2006
      I feel like I've seen this somewhere before, but it did startle me when
      reading a new bio of Twain:

      'He found time to knock off a piece for the October ATLANTIC... that
      modestly proposed a change in the suffrage laws... "The Curious Republic of
      Gondour" ' - MARK TWAIN: A LIFE, Ron Powers, p. 378

      http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/gondour.html has the text.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13, 2006
        Well, it was news to me when I discovered it two years ago. I discuss
        it in my paper in the new Blackwelder festschrift (page 93) in the
        section comparing Tolkien and Twain as creators of lost worlds (The
        Papers of the Adam Family), but that passage got cut from the oral
        presentation because of time constraints. It's unlikely that Tolkien
        read this story (written in 1870 but not appearing in book form until
        1919) though possible. I think Twain, along with Cabell, the most
        important American author of fantasy in the early decades of the
        twentieth century, but readers of fantasy hardly know his fantasy
        works exist: people working on Twain don't think of it as fantasy and
        people working on fantasy don't think to look at Twain. Ah well.
        --JDR

        On Apr 13, 2006, at 7:25 AM, Stolzi wrote:
        > I feel like I've seen this somewhere before, but it did startle me
        > when
        > reading a new bio of Twain:
        >
        > 'He found time to knock off a piece for the October ATLANTIC... that
        > modestly proposed a change in the suffrage laws... "The Curious
        > Republic of
        > Gondour" ' - MARK TWAIN: A LIFE, Ron Powers, p. 378
        >
        > http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/gondour.html has the text.

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 13, 2006
          John,
          Since I read the Twain-Tolkien connection in your paper in the
          Blackwelder book yesterday, recalling it not from your Marquette talk

          because of time constraints

          , just after writing on Adventures of Tom Sawyer for the American
          Chesterton Society's Gilbert magazine, your argument forwarding Twain as
          fantasist seems one worth pursuing.

          Note also Twain's "autoplagiarism."

          Anon,
          Mike