Re: [mythsoc] The Sparrow: thought this was interesting

  • Elizabeth Hardy
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
      We had Russell at our college Writers' Symposium several years ago, and she's certainly brilliant and thought-provoking, but The Sparrow is a disturbing little book. (One that I really wished I had not read while I was pregnant!) Fortunately, I saw where it was headed and was only horrified, not shocked, at the ending. I wonder how the Hollywood spin cycle will change it? I also cannot see Pitt as Fr. Emilio!

      Stolzi <Stolzi@...> wrote: Warner Brothers has acquired the film rights to the SF book,
      The Sparrow, for Brad Pitt's Plan B and Industry Entertainment
      to produce, Variety reported. Pitt has a long-standing
      interest in the project, a potential starring vehicle for him,
      the trade paper reported.
      Michael Seitzman (North Country) is adapting Mary Doria Russell's
      debut novel of the same name, about a Jesuit priest who accompanies
      a crew of space travelers to a distant planet after Earth receives
      its first communication from an alien culture. The clergyman and
      crew befriend one of the planet's two races, unwittingly provoking
      a bloody war and shaking the foundations of the priest's faith.
      Producers are Pitt, Industry Entertainment's Nick Wechsler and
      Brillstein-Grey's Cynthia Pett-Dante, Pitt's manager.
      Warner and the producers are waiting to see a draft of
      Seitzman's adaptation before moving ahead.
      http://www.scifi.com/sfw/news/sfw_news_20060306.html