Re: [mythsoc] The Sparrow: thought this was interesting

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
      From: "AMV Howard" <amvhoward@...>

      > Of course, I'm also just not seeing Brad Pitt as Fr. Emilio.

      Antonio Banderas! Antonio Banderas!

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Elizabeth Hardy
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
        We had Russell at our college Writers' Symposium several years ago, and she's certainly brilliant and thought-provoking, but The Sparrow is a disturbing little book. (One that I really wished I had not read while I was pregnant!) Fortunately, I saw where it was headed and was only horrified, not shocked, at the ending. I wonder how the Hollywood spin cycle will change it? I also cannot see Pitt as Fr. Emilio!

        Stolzi <Stolzi@...> wrote: Warner Brothers has acquired the film rights to the SF book,
        The Sparrow, for Brad Pitt's Plan B and Industry Entertainment
        to produce, Variety reported. Pitt has a long-standing
        interest in the project, a potential starring vehicle for him,
        the trade paper reported.
        Michael Seitzman (North Country) is adapting Mary Doria Russell's
        debut novel of the same name, about a Jesuit priest who accompanies
        a crew of space travelers to a distant planet after Earth receives
        its first communication from an alien culture. The clergyman and
        crew befriend one of the planet's two races, unwittingly provoking
        a bloody war and shaking the foundations of the priest's faith.
        Producers are Pitt, Industry Entertainment's Nick Wechsler and
        Brillstein-Grey's Cynthia Pett-Dante, Pitt's manager.
        Warner and the producers are waiting to see a draft of
        Seitzman's adaptation before moving ahead.
        http://www.scifi.com/sfw/news/sfw_news_20060306.html