Re: [mythsoc] Harry Potter

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 100 , Jun 25, 2000
      To get this whole discussion back down to earth, in terms of what HP4 will be
      like, no one ever said that H4 will be dark, or dark and terrible
      (notwithstanding what David P says below). All Rowling has ever said is that the
      books will grow darker with each installment because the overarching theme of
      the series is the battle of good and evil. Book 2 was darker than 1, book 3 was
      darker than 2, therefore, we may assume that book 4 will be darker than 3: but
      how "dark" is that? Mary thinks the Dementors might be a bit much for the kids,
      but I don't think so. I think they're excellent creations, akin to the specters
      in Pullman's The Subtle Knife. Both suck the soul out of the person. Hmmm, let's
      see, what in the primary world does that???

      Although not a scholar of children's lit myself, I do think the novels do rank
      up there as among the best, both in terms of writing and in terms of
      characterization, plot, detail, and invention. One aspect I thoroughly enjoy is
      that the author isn't using her "bully pulpit" to beat a message into the
      reader, as many other authors do (including my beloved CS Lewis). Rowling seems
      to write for the same reason that JRRT did, to tell a really good story that
      will hold its readers for a long time and, perhaps, evoke some response or
      strike a chord within them.

      Now in the midst of my second reading of the books, I have noticed much more
      than I did the first time, especially in terms of foreshadowing and allusions.
      And I imagine that as with any good book (remember the definition Lewis posits
      in An Experiment in Criticism), I'll notice much more each time I read them.

      As one of the nearly 240,000 muggles who has preordered from amazon.com, I am
      anxiously awaiting HP4.

      Yours,

      Ted

      "David F. Porteous" wrote:

      > Even though I loved being right, it would be very pleased if JK made me
      > wrong by a writing a compelling 700 that KIDS (not us, not critics, but
      > kids) would actually read and actually enjoy. Partly because I am pleased
      > for the success of any Scottish writer, being a Scottish writer myself ;),
      > but also because I see it is good for children to be reading ANYTHING --
      > even if it's just the articles in the TV guide. The promotion of literacy
      > is vital and those books I consider "worthy" do nothing to address this.
      > Rowling fills a vital role and the more publicity she, and thus writers as a
      > whole get, the better.
      >
      > However David did mention the phantom menace. I think during previous
      > discussions we established what hype did for that film. This may boost
      > Rowling's sales for this book, but if it isn't as good as the hype IMPLIES
      > it must be then surely she will hurt the sales long term. And I repeat, if
      > JK has written a 700 page, dark-and-terrible novel then I seriously doubt
      > she will enjoy success as large as she has had to date. All of this depends
      > on the book being rubbish, of course. If it turns out the woman is to
      > children's fantasy what Milton was to epic poetry then I shall print a
      > grovelling retraction.
      >
      > D. (which is in no way a form of signature stolen from a certain novel by
      > Bram Stoker... did I mention I wanted to bite your neck?)

      > FREE Credit Report at ConsumerInfo.Com!

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Box X041, Department of English
      Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 100 of 100 , Aug 17 8:36 PM
        From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>

        > http://www.comics.com/comics/nancy/archive/nancy-20050817.html
        >
        > or
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/c5mr8

        Wow, I didn't know they were still publishing Nancy! I see they've updated
        the look of her aunt's but not Nancy herself. I guess it would be like
        Blondie and Dagwood getting different hairstyles. They're all prisoners of
        their hairdos.

        Berni