Re: [mythsoc] The Sparrow: thought this was interesting

  • AMV Howard
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7 2:40 PM
      See, the first book was uncomfortable, but in a good way. It had reasonable
      artistic merit. The second one threw all of that away; I'm not certain why
      she wrote it, because it adds nothing to the characters, and IMHO detracts a
      great deal from the "message". It's Ender's Syndrome.

      Of course, I'm also just not seeing Brad Pitt as Fr. Emilio. But that may
      be just me.

      /A

      --
      Alana Vincent Howard

      770.419.8727

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7 3:13 PM
        From: "AMV Howard" <amvhoward@...>

        > Of course, I'm also just not seeing Brad Pitt as Fr. Emilio.

        Antonio Banderas! Antonio Banderas!

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Elizabeth Hardy
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 7 5:39 PM
          We had Russell at our college Writers' Symposium several years ago, and she's certainly brilliant and thought-provoking, but The Sparrow is a disturbing little book. (One that I really wished I had not read while I was pregnant!) Fortunately, I saw where it was headed and was only horrified, not shocked, at the ending. I wonder how the Hollywood spin cycle will change it? I also cannot see Pitt as Fr. Emilio!

          Stolzi <Stolzi@...> wrote: Warner Brothers has acquired the film rights to the SF book,
          The Sparrow, for Brad Pitt's Plan B and Industry Entertainment
          to produce, Variety reported. Pitt has a long-standing
          interest in the project, a potential starring vehicle for him,
          the trade paper reported.
          Michael Seitzman (North Country) is adapting Mary Doria Russell's
          debut novel of the same name, about a Jesuit priest who accompanies
          a crew of space travelers to a distant planet after Earth receives
          its first communication from an alien culture. The clergyman and
          crew befriend one of the planet's two races, unwittingly provoking
          a bloody war and shaking the foundations of the priest's faith.
          Producers are Pitt, Industry Entertainment's Nick Wechsler and
          Brillstein-Grey's Cynthia Pett-Dante, Pitt's manager.
          Warner and the producers are waiting to see a draft of
          Seitzman's adaptation before moving ahead.
          http://www.scifi.com/sfw/news/sfw_news_20060306.html