RE: [mythsoc] The Sparrow: thought this was interesting

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
      Well, considering how uncomfortably unpleasant the things are which
      happened to the main character in the first one, I never read the
      second, and don't think I'd like to see the movie of the first, thank
      you... even if it is Brad Pitt.

      Janet

      From: "AMV Howard" <amvhoward@...>

      > And as long as they never decide to produce the sequel, I will not
      fear
      > this
      > project.

      Success spawns sequels :(

      So what you're really hoping is that the movie, if produced, won't
      succeed!

      DP

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • AMV Howard
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
        See, the first book was uncomfortable, but in a good way. It had reasonable
        artistic merit. The second one threw all of that away; I'm not certain why
        she wrote it, because it adds nothing to the characters, and IMHO detracts a
        great deal from the "message". It's Ender's Syndrome.

        Of course, I'm also just not seeing Brad Pitt as Fr. Emilio. But that may
        be just me.

        /A

        --
        Alana Vincent Howard

        770.419.8727

      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
          From: "AMV Howard" <amvhoward@...>

          > Of course, I'm also just not seeing Brad Pitt as Fr. Emilio.

          Antonio Banderas! Antonio Banderas!

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Elizabeth Hardy
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
            We had Russell at our college Writers' Symposium several years ago, and she's certainly brilliant and thought-provoking, but The Sparrow is a disturbing little book. (One that I really wished I had not read while I was pregnant!) Fortunately, I saw where it was headed and was only horrified, not shocked, at the ending. I wonder how the Hollywood spin cycle will change it? I also cannot see Pitt as Fr. Emilio!

            Stolzi <Stolzi@...> wrote: Warner Brothers has acquired the film rights to the SF book,
            The Sparrow, for Brad Pitt's Plan B and Industry Entertainment
            to produce, Variety reported. Pitt has a long-standing
            interest in the project, a potential starring vehicle for him,
            the trade paper reported.
            Michael Seitzman (North Country) is adapting Mary Doria Russell's
            debut novel of the same name, about a Jesuit priest who accompanies
            a crew of space travelers to a distant planet after Earth receives
            its first communication from an alien culture. The clergyman and
            crew befriend one of the planet's two races, unwittingly provoking
            a bloody war and shaking the foundations of the priest's faith.
            Producers are Pitt, Industry Entertainment's Nick Wechsler and
            Brillstein-Grey's Cynthia Pett-Dante, Pitt's manager.
            Warner and the producers are waiting to see a draft of
            Seitzman's adaptation before moving ahead.
            http://www.scifi.com/sfw/news/sfw_news_20060306.html