Re: [mythsoc] The Sparrow: thought this was interesting

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
      From: "AMV Howard" <amvhoward@...>

      > And as long as they never decide to produce the sequel, I will not fear
      > this
      > project.

      Success spawns sequels :(

      So what you're really hoping is that the movie, if produced, won't succeed!

      DP
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
        Well, considering how uncomfortably unpleasant the things are which
        happened to the main character in the first one, I never read the
        second, and don't think I'd like to see the movie of the first, thank
        you... even if it is Brad Pitt.

        Janet

        > And as long as they never decide to produce the sequel, I will not
        fear
        > this
        > project.

        Success spawns sequels :(

        So what you're really hoping is that the movie, if produced, won't
        succeed!

        DP

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • AMV Howard
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
          See, the first book was uncomfortable, but in a good way. It had reasonable
          artistic merit. The second one threw all of that away; I'm not certain why
          she wrote it, because it adds nothing to the characters, and IMHO detracts a
          great deal from the "message". It's Ender's Syndrome.

          Of course, I'm also just not seeing Brad Pitt as Fr. Emilio. But that may
          be just me.

          /A

          --
          Alana Vincent Howard

          770.419.8727

        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
            From: "AMV Howard" <amvhoward@...>

            > Of course, I'm also just not seeing Brad Pitt as Fr. Emilio.

            Antonio Banderas! Antonio Banderas!

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Elizabeth Hardy
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
              We had Russell at our college Writers' Symposium several years ago, and she's certainly brilliant and thought-provoking, but The Sparrow is a disturbing little book. (One that I really wished I had not read while I was pregnant!) Fortunately, I saw where it was headed and was only horrified, not shocked, at the ending. I wonder how the Hollywood spin cycle will change it? I also cannot see Pitt as Fr. Emilio!

              Stolzi <Stolzi@...> wrote: Warner Brothers has acquired the film rights to the SF book,
              The Sparrow, for Brad Pitt's Plan B and Industry Entertainment
              to produce, Variety reported. Pitt has a long-standing
              interest in the project, a potential starring vehicle for him,
              the trade paper reported.
              Michael Seitzman (North Country) is adapting Mary Doria Russell's
              debut novel of the same name, about a Jesuit priest who accompanies
              a crew of space travelers to a distant planet after Earth receives
              its first communication from an alien culture. The clergyman and
              crew befriend one of the planet's two races, unwittingly provoking
              a bloody war and shaking the foundations of the priest's faith.
              Producers are Pitt, Industry Entertainment's Nick Wechsler and
              Brillstein-Grey's Cynthia Pett-Dante, Pitt's manager.
              Warner and the producers are waiting to see a draft of
              Seitzman's adaptation before moving ahead.
              http://www.scifi.com/sfw/news/sfw_news_20060306.html