Re: [mythsoc] The Sparrow: thought this was interesting

  • AMV Howard
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
      And as long as they never decide to produce the sequel, I will not fear this
      project.

      /A

      --
      Alana Vincent Howard

      770.419.8727

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
        From: "AMV Howard" <amvhoward@...>

        > And as long as they never decide to produce the sequel, I will not fear
        > this
        > project.

        Success spawns sequels :(

        So what you're really hoping is that the movie, if produced, won't succeed!

        DP
      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
          Well, considering how uncomfortably unpleasant the things are which
          happened to the main character in the first one, I never read the
          second, and don't think I'd like to see the movie of the first, thank
          you... even if it is Brad Pitt.

          Janet

          > And as long as they never decide to produce the sequel, I will not
          fear
          > this
          > project.

          Success spawns sequels :(

          So what you're really hoping is that the movie, if produced, won't
          succeed!

          DP

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • AMV Howard
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
            See, the first book was uncomfortable, but in a good way. It had reasonable
            artistic merit. The second one threw all of that away; I'm not certain why
            she wrote it, because it adds nothing to the characters, and IMHO detracts a
            great deal from the "message". It's Ender's Syndrome.

            Of course, I'm also just not seeing Brad Pitt as Fr. Emilio. But that may
            be just me.

            /A

            --
            Alana Vincent Howard

            770.419.8727

          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
              From: "AMV Howard" <amvhoward@...>

              > Of course, I'm also just not seeing Brad Pitt as Fr. Emilio.

              Antonio Banderas! Antonio Banderas!

              Diamond Proudbrook
            • Elizabeth Hardy
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
                We had Russell at our college Writers' Symposium several years ago, and she's certainly brilliant and thought-provoking, but The Sparrow is a disturbing little book. (One that I really wished I had not read while I was pregnant!) Fortunately, I saw where it was headed and was only horrified, not shocked, at the ending. I wonder how the Hollywood spin cycle will change it? I also cannot see Pitt as Fr. Emilio!