The Sparrow: thought this was interesting

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
      Warner Brothers has acquired the film rights to the SF book,
      The Sparrow, for Brad Pitt's Plan B and Industry Entertainment
      to produce, Variety reported. Pitt has a long-standing
      interest in the project, a potential starring vehicle for him,
      the trade paper reported.
      Michael Seitzman (North Country) is adapting Mary Doria Russell's
      debut novel of the same name, about a Jesuit priest who accompanies
      a crew of space travelers to a distant planet after Earth receives
      its first communication from an alien culture. The clergyman and
      crew befriend one of the planet's two races, unwittingly provoking
      a bloody war and shaking the foundations of the priest's faith.
      Producers are Pitt, Industry Entertainment's Nick Wechsler and
      Brillstein-Grey's Cynthia Pett-Dante, Pitt's manager.
      Warner and the producers are waiting to see a draft of
      Seitzman's adaptation before moving ahead.
      http://www.scifi.com/sfw/news/sfw_news_20060306.html
    • AMV Howard
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
        And as long as they never decide to produce the sequel, I will not fear this
        project.

        /A

        --
        Alana Vincent Howard

        770.419.8727

      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
          From: "AMV Howard" <amvhoward@...>

          > And as long as they never decide to produce the sequel, I will not fear
          > this
          > project.

          Success spawns sequels :(

          So what you're really hoping is that the movie, if produced, won't succeed!

          DP
        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
            Well, considering how uncomfortably unpleasant the things are which
            happened to the main character in the first one, I never read the
            second, and don't think I'd like to see the movie of the first, thank
            you... even if it is Brad Pitt.

            Janet

            > And as long as they never decide to produce the sequel, I will not
            fear
            > this
            > project.

            Success spawns sequels :(

            So what you're really hoping is that the movie, if produced, won't
            succeed!

            DP

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • AMV Howard
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
              See, the first book was uncomfortable, but in a good way. It had reasonable
              artistic merit. The second one threw all of that away; I'm not certain why
              she wrote it, because it adds nothing to the characters, and IMHO detracts a
              great deal from the "message". It's Ender's Syndrome.

              Of course, I'm also just not seeing Brad Pitt as Fr. Emilio. But that may
              be just me.

              /A

              --
              Alana Vincent Howard

              770.419.8727

            • Stolzi
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
                From: "AMV Howard" <amvhoward@...>

                > Of course, I'm also just not seeing Brad Pitt as Fr. Emilio.

                Antonio Banderas! Antonio Banderas!

                Diamond Proudbrook
              • Elizabeth Hardy
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
                  We had Russell at our college Writers' Symposium several years ago, and she's certainly brilliant and thought-provoking, but The Sparrow is a disturbing little book. (One that I really wished I had not read while I was pregnant!) Fortunately, I saw where it was headed and was only horrified, not shocked, at the ending. I wonder how the Hollywood spin cycle will change it? I also cannot see Pitt as Fr. Emilio!

                  Stolzi <Stolzi@...> wrote: Warner Brothers has acquired the film rights to the SF book,