Pullman and Poe

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 4, 2006
      Recently came across a nice little selection of Poe's poem from
      Scholastic with an introduction by Philip Pullman; a very pleasant
      discovery to find that, when he's writing about an author he likes
      and admires, Pullman is a very insightful critic. Recommended. Also
      just read Pullman's adaptation of Aladdin, the most interesting
      feature of which is the appearance of people of color throughout the
      illustrations (by Sophy Wms, an artist I don't know), rather than the
      all-white lot most children's illustrators use for Arabian Nights tales.

      Also, for those interested/fascinated/appalled by attempts by the
      less-talented to finish works by dead authors, there's a new
      collection either just out or just about to come out (not seen)
      called POE'S LIGHTHOUSE, ed. Christopher Conlon, where twenty-three
      authors "collaborate" with the late Edgar Poe, providing expansions,
      conclusions, or frames for the story Poe was working on when he died.
      Rbt Bloch tried this years ago and the result was a flop of
      Derlethian proportions; be interesting to see what this lot make of it.

      --JDR
    • Anglin Turcam
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
        As for 'the Problem of Balin', I've come to the conclusion that
        > this represents a deliberate alteration by Tolkien of a name which
        > does appear in the EDDA, but the argument is too complicated for
        > quick explication in an e-mail; drop me a line off-list if you'd
        like

        Dear Mr John,
        I have read now the Dronke's pages you've gave me to read on your
        She take some interresting choices to translate or traduce each of
        the dwarfs-names occuring in the Dvergatal (roster of dwarves in the
        Völuspá)but I've also mine whish are coming from some very acute
        french translators (Lecouteux, Dillmann, Boyer) including also Zoegä
        and Cleasby-Vigfusson Old Icelandic / English dictionnaries.

        A point is to made to the problem of Balin you speak previously :
        Curiously the names of Balin and Gloin are present also after the
        Azanulbizar Battle between Orcs and Dwarves and the burning of the
        Dwarven corpses (only one time in all the orcs/dwarfs war they burst
        upon the text !) and when we take a look closely to these two dwarfs-
        names we learned that :

        bál, n. (1) fire ; slá b. = drepa eld ;
        (2) flame, blaze ; gera b., to make a blaze ;
        (3) pyre, funeral pile ; bera e-n à b., to carry to the pyre ; stíga
        á b., to mount the pyre.
        [ZoëgaCDOI], p. 45A

        Balin may be from bál 'fire', and mean 'Burning-one'. (The -inn
        terminaison in these names indicates a past participle form.)
        [AllanGivingofNames], p. 223 (pp. 223-4 for other possible sources)

        and for Gloin :
        Glóinn The glowing one. Cp. glóa, 'to glow'.
        [GouldPMLA], p. 948

        Glóinn 'the glowing one'
        [MotzFrümittelalterliche], p. 104

        Glói Vsp. 15,4 R, Glóinn H; SnE I 66 GloiN rTW, gloni U; þul 5,2 d.c.
        gloinn ; glóa, v. 'to glow'_'the glowing one'.
        [MotzFrümittelalterliche], p. 114

        glóa (að, or óða, -ót), v. (1) to shine, glitter (2) to glow with
        heat.
        [ZoëgaCDOI], p. 167B

        Gloïnn Glowing-one
        [AllanGivingofNames], p. 222

        Bibliography :

        [GouldPMLA], C.-N. Gould, Dwarf-names : a study in old icelandic
        religion, in PMLA (Publications of the Modern Language Association of
        America),n°44, 1929, p939-967.

        [MotzFrümittelalterliche], Motz Lotte., New thoughts on Dwarfs-Names
        in Old Icelandic, Frümittelalterliche Studien 7, 1973, P.100-117

        [ZoëgaCDOI], Geir T. Zoëga, A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic,
        Dover Publication, INC. Mineola, New York 2004 (unabridged
        republication of 1910), 551p.

        [AllanGivingofNames], Allan Jim (éd) et al. An Introduction to Elvish
        and to other Tongues and Proper Names and Writing Systems of the
        Third Age of the Western Lands of Middle-Earth as set forth in the
        Published Writings of Professor John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. Hayes
        (Royaume Uni) Bran's Head Books, 1978, 303p.

        --------------------------------------
        If this dwarf-name (balin) could so mean the-one-who-carry-to-the-
        pyre, or funeral pyre, why no one who speaks about these Balin
        Problem said something like that ?
        (The Gloin name reveals also a relation between these two names and
        the funeral pyre and the burning of the dwarves !)

        Everybody known also that Balin occurs a second time in the Lord of
        the ring as a runic inscription on a tomb in Moria ?

        Did this names as to be taken all the time as a simple coincidence ?
        Or Text and rhymes shemes to fit with the other dwarfs-names ?
      • William Cloud Hicklin
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Anglin
          Turcam" <courrier_chroniques@...> wrote:

          > A point is to made to the problem of Balin you speak
          previously :
          > Curiously the names of Balin and Gloin are present also
          after the
          > Azanulbizar Battle between Orcs and Dwarves and the
          burning of the
          > Dwarven corpses (only one time in all the orcs/dwarfs war
          they burst
          > upon the text !) and when we take a look closely to these
          two dwarfs-
          > names we learned that :
          >
          > bál, n. (1) fire ; [snip]

          > (The Gloin name reveals also a relation between these two
          names and
          > the funeral pyre and the burning of the dwarves !)

          M. Turcam:

          I'm afraid that this is most likely a coincidence. Tolkien
          wrote his account of Nanduhirion for the Appendices, some
          two decades after he created his "rabble of Eddaic-named
          Dwarves." The more probable explanation for Balin and Glóin
          being specifically named is simply that these two were the
          most "important" of Thorin's companions to the later story:
          Balin as the Dwarf friendliest to Bilbo, and who later led
          the failed Moria expedition; Glóin of course because he was
          at the Council of Elrond, and was Gimli's father.
        • Jason Fisher
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
            > I'm afraid that this is most likely a coincidence.

            This is basically just what I was going to say as well. But I'm curious to hear about some of your other findings / theories, Anglin. I sort of got the feeling we were joining a conversation already in progress, but I'm doing work in this area myself, so I'd be curious to hear more about your work off-list (as you suggested it was too complicated for the list). Drop me a line if you'd like to chat more about this ...

            Jason Fisher

          • Vincent Ferré
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
              Dear Anglin,

              And what about the suggestion I made (the conference at the ENS Ulm you attended, in May '05) that Tolkien might have found names in re-writings of Chrétien de Troyes's romances ? I remember well a Belin and a Meliadoc in his Erec and Enid. Did you have a look at Malory ?

              best wishes
              Vincent

            • Larry Swain
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006

                > > I'm afraid that this is most likely a coincidence.
                >
                > This is basically just what I was going to say as well. But I'm
                > curious to hear about some of your other findings / theories,
                > Anglin. I sort of got the feeling we were joining a conversation
                > already in progress, but I'm doing work in this area myself, so I'd
                > be curious to hear more about your work off-list (as you suggested
                > it was too complicated for the list). Drop me a line if you'd like
                > to chat more about this ...

                I'd actually be interested in this too, I'm preparing lecture notes on Tolkien's dwarves for a Tolkien class I'm teaching next semester.

                Powered by Outblaze
              • Larry Swain
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006

                  > Dear Anglin,
                  >
                  > And what about the suggestion I made (the conference at the ENS Ulm
                  > you attended, in May '05) that Tolkien might have found names in
                  > re-writings of Chrétien de Troyes's romances ? I remember well a
                  > Belin and a Meliadoc in his Erec and Enid. Did you have a look at
                  > Malory ?

                  You know, I kind of doubt it. Possible of course. But Chretien's names are derived either through French from English/Norse or through French from Brittonic...more likely to my mind that Tolkien derived the names from the original languages than from the intermediary sources....though certainly he was familiar enough with the Arthurian tradition.

                  ljs

                  Powered by Outblaze
                • William Cloud Hicklin
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
                    Hmmm. Is it remotely possible, I wonder, that the names
                    "suggested a story" to Tolkien as he was writing App.A: Of
                    the Dwarves? After all, the process of writing the history
                    and the family tree implies that he was once again sifting
                    through Voluspa (in bound form or from memory). Balin and
                    Glóin are, for reasons stated, the two non-royal dwarves
                    mentioned in connection with the battle. Could it be that
                    you're right: these names in fact did inspire the Great Pyre?

                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...>
                    wrote:

                    > > > I'm afraid that this is most likely a coincidence.
                    > >
                    > > This is basically just what I was going to say as well.
                    But I'm
                    > > curious to hear about some of your other findings /
                    theories,
                    > > Anglin. I sort of got the feeling we were joining a
                    conversation
                    > > already in progress, but I'm doing work in this area
                    myself, so I'd
                    > > be curious to hear more about your work off-list (as you
                    suggested
                    > > it was too complicated for the list). Drop me a line if
                    you'd like
                    > > to chat more about this ...
                    >
                    > I'd actually be interested in this too, I'm preparing
                    lecture notes on Tolkien's dwarves for a Tolkien class I'm
                    teaching next semester.

                    > --
                    >
                    > Powered by Outblaze

                  • Jason Fisher
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
                      >> Dear Anglin,
                      >>
                      >> And what about the suggestion I made (the conference at the ENS Ulm
                      >> you attended, in May '05) that Tolkien might have found names in
                      >> re-writings of Chrétien de Troyes's romances ? I remember well a
                      >> Belin and a Meliadoc in his Erec and Enid. Did you have a look at
                      >> Malory ?

                      > You know, I kind of doubt it. Possible of course. But Chretien's names are
                      > derived either through French from English/Norse or through French from
                      > Brittonic... more likely to my mind that Tolkien derived the names from the
                      > original languages than from the intermediary sources....though certainly he
                      > was familiar enough with the Arthurian tradition.

                      Yes, I agree with Larry. It's not beyond the realm of possibility, but I think it far more likely that Tolkien got the names directly from the Old Norse than through a French intermediary. Many of the hobbit names seem to have come from the Continent, but the dwarves' names almost certainly didn't.

                    • Jason Fisher
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
                        > Hmmm. Is it remotely possible, I wonder, that the names
                        > "suggested a story" to Tolkien as he was writing App.A: Of
                        > the Dwarves? After all, the process of writing the history
                        > and the family tree implies that he was once again sifting
                        > through Voluspa (in bound form or from memory). Balin and
                        > Glóin are, for reasons stated, the two non-royal dwarves
                        > mentioned in connection with the battle. Could it be that
                        > you're right: these names in fact did inspire the Great Pyre?

                        It could be. Tolkien tended to start with a name, puzzling over its meaning, and a story often developed out of those linguistic musings. The fact that he chose Balin as a name for a dwarf in The Hobbit, of course, would have had nothing to do with this (being many years earlier), but the etymology of the name could indeed have brought this particular dwarf back into the forefront of his story-making later.

                        Jason Fisher

                      • Larry Swain
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
                          Jason wrote:

                          > Yes, I agree with Larry. It's not beyond the realm of possibility,
                          > but I think it far more likely that Tolkien got the names directly
                          > from the Old Norse than through a French intermediary. Many of the
                          > hobbit names seem to have come from the Continent,

                          Just enquiring about the last statement....The hobbit names came from the Continent? Bracegirdles, Proudfoot, Baggins are Continental names? I've done any sort of name-study, esp of the hobbits, so I'm curious.

                          ljs

                          Powered by Outblaze
                        • William Cloud Hicklin
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
                            wrote:

                            > Jason wrote:
                            >

                            > > Yes, I agree with Larry. It's not beyond the realm of
                            possibility,
                            > > but I think it far more likely that Tolkien got the
                            names directly
                            > > from the Old Norse than through a French intermediary.
                            Many of the
                            > > hobbit names seem to have come from the Continent,
                            >
                            > Just enquiring about the last statement....The hobbit
                            names came from the Continent? Bracegirdles, Proudfoot,
                            Baggins are Continental names? I've done any sort of name-
                            study, esp of the hobbits, so I'm curious.

                            Not the surnames, the rather pretentious given names of the
                            Great Holes: Fredegar, Isengrim, Odavacar etc. Although I
                            believe he cribbed the Brandybucks' names (Meriadoc,
                            Gorbadoc, Saradoc) from Medieval Welsh.

                            > ljs
                            >
                            > --
                            >
                            > Powered by Outblaze

                          • Jason Fisher
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
                              > Not the surnames, the rather pretentious given names of the
                              > Great Holes: Fredegar, Isengrim, Odavacar etc. Although I
                              > believe he cribbed the Brandybucks' names (Meriadoc,
                              > Gorbadoc, Saradoc) from Medieval Welsh.

                              Right. And the source I think I was remembering (though there may have been other places I've read about thism too) is Jim Allan's chapter, "The Giving of Names", in An Introduction to Elvish. The section on Hobbits' names is pp. 190-212 and contains lots of interesting details.

                              Jason Fisher

                            • Jason Fisher
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
                                > Right. And the source I think I was remembering (though there
                                > may have been other places I've read about thism too) is Jim
                                > Allan's chapter, "The Giving of Names", in An Introduction to
                                > Elvish. The section on Hobbits' names is pp. 190-212 and
                                > contains lots of interesting details.

                                I just confirmed the dim recollection that the topic "Carolingians" in the Tolkien Encyclopedia comments on this as well. One of Mr. Lobdell's many entries.

                                Jason

                              • not_thou
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
                                  I'm out of my depth here, but can suggest some sources to check:

                                  Regarding Hobbit first names, Arden Smith, citing Tolkien himself (in
                                  LotR's Appendix F?), talks a little about derivation of Took/Bolger
                                  personal names from ?Lombardic and Gothic in his paper in the
                                  Blackwelder collection, "Tolkienian Gothic".

                                  Regarding Hobbit last names, David Bratman presented a very
                                  entertaining paper at Birmingham in 2005 called "Hobbit Names Aren't
                                  from Kentucky", noting the last names were generally English but
                                  sometimes used more for sound than for sense, if I recall correctly.
                                  Has / will that paper be published?

                                  Regarding the dwarves' names... well, I was about to misremember a
                                  passage from Tolkien's letters, but I see that John Rateliff and
                                  Anglin Turkam thoroughly covered that subject earlier in this thread
                                  ("rabble of Eddaic-named Dwarves", etc. -- *Must remember to read
                                  backwards in the threads.*) As noted by others, this doesn't negate
                                  the possiblity of Tolkien folding in motifs from other sources when
                                  he returned to the dwarves for Appendix A, III -- but has anyone
                                  checked HoMe XII on this point? Also, noting Turkam's speculation of
                                  possible meanings for some dwarf names, is it true, as the (groan)
                                  Encyclopedia of Arda says, that "Dwalin" could mean "dawdler" in Old
                                  Norse? And could that explain the exceptionally long life of the
                                  first dwarf to appear in The Hobbit?

                                  Side-note: I'm not very familiar with message etiquette in group-
                                  lists: what's the preferred procedure for retaining or changing
                                  subject lines as the conversation drifts away from the original
                                  topic? Would it have been more or less helpful to readers for me to
                                  have changed the subject line of this message from "About dwarves and
                                  their connection with Nordic myth" to something like "Dwarf and
                                  hobbit names"?

                                  -Merlin DeTardo

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
                                    > Also, noting Turkam's speculation of possible meanings for
                                    > some dwarf names, is it true, as the (groan) Encyclopedia of
                                    > Arda says, that "Dwalin" could mean "dawdler" in Old Norse?
                                    > And could that explain the exceptionally long life of the first
                                    > dwarf to appear in The Hobbit?

                                    That may be true, yes. Zoëga has:

                                    dvala, v. to delay, put off
                                    dvalan, f. prolongation

                                    And other similar words. I've also seen the meaning "torpid" but haven't tried to track that down yet. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm currently doing work on this stuff.

                                    Jason Fisher

                                  • John D Rateliff
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
                                      On Dec 1, 2006, at 5:26 PM, not_thou wrote:
                                      > Encyclopedia of Arda says, that "Dwalin" could mean "dawdler" in Old
                                      > Norse? And could that explain the exceptionally long life of the
                                      > first dwarf to appear in The Hobbit?

                                      I doubt it; Dvalin is one of the most famous of all dwarves in the
                                      Old Norse material, famed (among other things) as a great craftsman,
                                      and not notable for any "dawdling". In any case, the apparent
                                      "exceptionally long life" of Tolkien's character is I think the
                                      result of an error in the reckoning, not any intent on Tolkien's part
                                      to make him the Old Took of dwarves (that distinction belonging
                                      instead to Durin the First). Although, that said, it is very like
                                      Tolkien to add things to characters based on subsequent research that
                                      were not part of his initial inspiration; I just doubt that is the
                                      case in this instance.

                                      > Side-note: are my messages too long? I have noticed several
                                      > references on this list to matters deemed too complicated for this
                                      > format.

                                      There are no rules for length, so far as I know, but short posts are
                                      more likely to get responded to that long, complex ones. Changing
                                      headers to reflect changing focus of a post is always welcome. And
                                      trimming texts being responded to down to the relevant sections is
                                      definitely good form.

                                      Re. 'Tolkien Studies' vs. 'Middle-earth Studies', I think it's a
                                      false dichotomy to divide them. Some things I'm interested in might
                                      fall in one category, some in the other, and some cut across both.
                                      It's like trying to divide Lit from Lang; it's better to consider
                                      both aspects together.

                                      As for Brooke-Rose, it's been too long since I read her for me to
                                      respond in detail, but I thought at the time that her chief
                                      shortcoming was that she was writing a book about fantasy without any
                                      clear idea of what fantasy was, which made her comments seem random
                                      and unfocused.

                                      --JDR

                                    • Anglin Turcam
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 2, 2006
                                        To William Cloud Hicklin :
                                        >> Could it be that you're right: these names in fact did inspire the
                                        Great Pyre?
                                        Thank's, it's perhaps after Mr John D Ratelif the only positive opinion
                                        about this fact. I'm very sad to not write as goodly as I want to speak
                                        about my point of view of my 'paradox' for the 'editorial concession'
                                        conceded by Pr Tolkien about his dwarves and their possible relation
                                        with Old norse ones. I'm afraid that I have to say that I'm not agree
                                        with that fact commonly accepted by all the Tolkien Community ... there
                                        are too much things to much details to much words that make me think
                                        that Tolkien did really take a lot of things from Norse Dwarves (
                                        perhaps even to Norse Cosmogology about them ) to speak about a
                                        simple 'concession'. I want to go farther than Mr Shippey did realy
                                        goood about them, farther than the lots of ones that speak only about
                                        the Names occuring in Völuspá ...

                                        To Jason :
                                        >> so I'd be curious to hear more about your work off-list (as you
                                        suggested it was too complicated for the list). Drop me a line if you'd
                                        like ...

                                        Check your MailBox Jason ;)

                                        >> I'd actually be interested in this too, I'm preparing lecture notes
                                        on Tolkien's dwarves for a Tolkien class I'm teaching next semester.

                                        I work also about other interrestings things about Tolkien's dwarves
                                        like death/size/women/magical object (in fact in Letters Tolkien
                                        says 'Magic is Art' and the dwarves are Aulë childrens ....). Did you
                                        read french freely ?
                                        I can tell you that your lecture notes can be very interresting to me
                                        if you can send them to my mailbox ?

                                        Anglin.
                                      • alexeik@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 2, 2006
                                          believe he cribbed the Brandybucks' names (Meriadoc,
                                          Gorbadoc, Saradoc) from Medieval Welsh. <<

                                          That, and even more from mediaeval Cornish and Breton. Alexei >
                                          .
                                          AActuaActua
                                        • Larry Swain
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 4, 2006

                                            > I work also about other interrestings things about Tolkien's dwarves
                                            > like death/size/women/magical object (in fact in Letters Tolkien
                                            > says 'Magic is Art' and the dwarves are Aulë childrens ....). Did you
                                            > read french freely ?
                                            > I can tell you that your lecture notes can be very interresting to me
                                            > if you can send them to my mailbox ?
                                            >
                                            > Anglin.

                                            Anglin,

                                            I'll be happy to send them along when I've finished them, pretty basic though. And yes, I read French.

                                            ljs