RE: [mythsoc] Smith from Amazon

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22, 2006
      Not really very complicated. The Ace paperback incident had nothing to do
      with the way that Houghton Mifflin and HarperCollins divide up the world.
      The controversy there was merely over Houghton Mifflin's importation of
      UK-printed sheets for their edition, and had no direct relationship to the
      question of who had the right to sell which edition where. The HM edition
      is still the HM edition, and the only question was: who printed it where?

      HarperCollins (and its predecessor firms before it) are Tolkien's
      publisher. Houghton Mifflin is their US licensee to publish their own
      editions. I'm sure there's a long-standing provision in the contract
      saying that if HM declines to publish any particular book, HarperCollins
      retains the right (if they choose) to sell their own edition in the US.
      And that provision must have been triggered here. No "special
      arrangement," no failure to observe "usually pretty careful" provisions,
      are necessary.

      DB