Smith from Amazon

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2006
      I got the Flieger edition from plain old Amazon USA, and it came just as
      quickly as other stuff I ordered the same day.

      Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...
      Art & Humanities Librarian & Coordinator of Graduate Instruction
      San Jose State University Library (http://www.sjlibrary.org)

      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2006
        Enough. I just looked them both up. UK Amazon says ships within 24 hours (to
        which a US customer must add transatlantic shipping time). US Amazon says 3-6
        weeks! Rather a big difference unless one uses slow-boat UK shipping. US
        discount price is currently $16.54, UK is £9.89. At current exchange rates
        that
        makes the UK price nearly a dollar higher. When one adds in shipping costs, US
        is much cheaper.

        David Bratman

        At 05:18 PM 3/21/2006 -0800, Edith.Crowe@... wrote:
        >I got the Flieger edition from plain old Amazon USA, and it came just as
        >quickly as other stuff I ordered the same day.
      • Oberhelman, D
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 22, 2006
          Interesting. Amazon.com is selling the imported HarperCollins edition of Flieger's Smith (apparently since Houghton Mifflin decided not to publish it in the States). Houghton Mifflin is usually pretty careful in dividing up the globe between the US and the UK/Commonwealth for Tolkien publishing after the Ace paperback debacle. I remember Amazon.ca erroneously listed the Houghton Mifflin 50th Anniversary edition of LotR, and then it was pulled and the HaperCollins version finally listed in its place. Some special arrangement must have been made in this case to make it available in the US.

          **************************************
          David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
          Associate Professor
          Humanities-Social Sciences Division
          Oklahoma State University Library
          Stillwater, OK 74078
          Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
          Email: d.oberhelman@...

          Writing book <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLyccicIbmLvw> Writing a book <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYxhLh9xKmaZA> Writing child book <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsyQ7cty1c0_Mdmcw>
          Book writing software <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXzOVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA> Science fiction and fantasy <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ> Writing a book report <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7bRwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ>

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 22, 2006
            Not really very complicated. The Ace paperback incident had nothing to do
            with the way that Houghton Mifflin and HarperCollins divide up the world.
            The controversy there was merely over Houghton Mifflin's importation of
            UK-printed sheets for their edition, and had no direct relationship to the
            question of who had the right to sell which edition where. The HM edition
            is still the HM edition, and the only question was: who printed it where?

            HarperCollins (and its predecessor firms before it) are Tolkien's
            publisher. Houghton Mifflin is their US licensee to publish their own
            editions. I'm sure there's a long-standing provision in the contract
            saying that if HM declines to publish any particular book, HarperCollins
            retains the right (if they choose) to sell their own edition in the US.
            And that provision must have been triggered here. No "special
            arrangement," no failure to observe "usually pretty careful" provisions,
            are necessary.

            DB