Re: [mythsoc] Harry Potter

  • Mary Kay Kare
    Message 1 of 100 , Jun 24, 2000
      "David S. Bratman" wrote:

      > Looking at some of the old reviews of the earlier volumes, I've noticed
      > suggestions that one of the reasons for their success is that they're not
      > too long and not too introspective. With #4's rumored (or rumoured) 700
      > page length and approach to Harry's adolescent worries, I wonder if
      > Rowling is trying to stretch herself, and her audience, and if so whether
      > she'll succeed.

      Patrick Nielsen Hayden, who is an editor at Tor Books, has suggested
      that one reason the books have been so tremendously popular is
      Rowling's skill at pacing. Those of us who read lots of fantasy are
      used to being able to cope either with a vast info dump setting the
      stage, or figuring out more sparsely supplied info as we go along.
      And are comfortable with this where 'normal' people aren't. Patrick
      says Rowling is very very good at supplying just the right amount of
      information at the right time. If she succeeds at this in the longer
      form, she may still hold her audience. But I do hate to see her
      taking the doorstop fantasy route.

      MK
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 100 of 100 , Aug 17, 2005
        From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>

        > http://www.comics.com/comics/nancy/archive/nancy-20050817.html
        >
        > or
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/c5mr8

        Wow, I didn't know they were still publishing Nancy! I see they've updated
        the look of her aunt's but not Nancy herself. I guess it would be like
        Blondie and Dagwood getting different hairstyles. They're all prisoners of
        their hairdos.

        Berni