Re: Flieger's Smith, and a question for academics

  • saraciborski
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 18, 2006
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Beth Russell" <russells@...> wrote:
      > Hammond and Scull quote many times from previously unpublished
      writings in their new "Reader's Companion."

      > Beth Russell
      >
      > Yes, the Companion with its many quotes from previously unpublished
      writings is wonderful. But it raised the same question for me about the
      scope and contents of the various collections. I did get an answer off-
      list.

      Sara Ciborski

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "saraciborski" <saraciborski@...> wrote:

        > > before!
        > > Janet
        > >
        > Janet, your post reminds me of a question I've meant to ask group
        > members who are academics. I read Flieger's edition of Smith of
        > Wootton Major some months ago with great enjoyment, on account of the
        > transcriptions of manuscrips by Tolkien that she includes. Especially
        > wonderful, for those like me who love and hang on every word that
        > Tolkien ever wrote, is his essay "Smith of Wooten Major,"

        This is a different essay than "On Faery Stories" in the tolkien
        Reader? Lezlie
      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
          Yes, it's an essay just on Smith. I read through it very quickly and
          will do it more justice later, but this is new, never-before-published
          material. David Bratman has a review in the latest Mythprint.

          Janet

          Especially
          > wonderful, for those like me who love and hang on every word that
          > Tolkien ever wrote, is his essay "Smith of Wooten Major,"

          This is a different essay than "On Faery Stories" in the tolkien Reader?
          Lezlie

          Links
        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
            Yes, Verlyn's edition includes not just the entire text of SMITH with
            the Baynes illustrations but also a lot of previously unpublished
            material relating to the story:

            Tolkien's unfinished introduction to MacDonald's The Golden Key.
            A chronology and a list of characters, not all of whom appeared in
            the published tale.
            A facsimile of the composite manuscript/typescript of the first
            draft ("The Great Cake"), with transcription on facing pages, and the
            Plot Notes for the conclusion.
            ibid for the short interpolated "Lake of Tears" scene.
            a short note from Tolkien to Clyde Kilby describing the origin of
            the story, written in 1967 when he was negotiating with Wheaton over
            selling them the Smith papers (a deal which fell through).
            an essay Tolkien wrote about the story, speculating on various
            elements in it and adding a lot of detail about the characters,
            background, and setting.

            In short, absolutely essential reading for anyone interested in the
            story or in Tolkien's final thoughts on the interrelations between
            the human world and Faerie. Fortunately, amazon.co.uk ships to the US.

            --JDR

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
              To my mind, Tolkien's essay on "Smith" is a fascinating piece that reveals
              as clearly as anything why Tolkien is a great writer.

              The one thing that got left out of the edition was the introduction that
              Tolkien used when he read Smith aloud once, before the story was published.

              At least as of the time I got it, you could buy this book through US Amazon
              as well as UK Amazon. (As there is no US edition, the UK edition is for
              sale in the US.) This might take longer than ordering it directly from the
              UK, but it might also be less expensive. Check how it is now and see.

              David Bratman
            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                Just a quick holler to properly kudo [can it be a verb?] David's two
                reviews in the MYTHPRINT that the owl brought today. Nicely done, DB.

                Mike

                David Bratman wrote:

                >To my mind, Tolkien's essay on "Smith" is a fascinating piece that reveals
                >as clearly as anything why Tolkien is a great writer.
                >
                >The one thing that got left out of the edition was the introduction that
                >Tolkien used when he read Smith aloud once, before the story was published.
                >
                >At least as of the time I got it, you could buy this book through US Amazon
                >as well as UK Amazon. (As there is no US edition, the UK edition is for
                >sale in the US.) This might take longer than ordering it directly from the
                >UK, but it might also be less expensive. Check how it is now and see.
                >
                >David Bratman

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Croft, Janet B.
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                  The only lack I felt in reading the book was a bibliography of criticism
                  on "Smith," both what Flieger mentioned and other works, but that's just
                  me, perhaps. A project for someone to tackle sometime... I got mine from
                  Amazon US.

                  Janet

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                    I also feel this is a blemish on an otherwise excellent read: Fleiger could easily have provided such a bibliography, or even a short list of the best commentaries on "Smith" including her own in A Question of Time and Shippey's in Author of the Century.
                    Sara Ciborski

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                      Let's not assume that the lack of a such a bibliography is due to the
                      author, as opposed to constraints imposed by the publisher on length
                      and/or "scholarliness"....

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                        At 06:58 PM 3/21/2006 -0500, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
                        >Let's not assume that the lack of a such a bibliography is due to the
                        >author, as opposed to constraints imposed by the publisher on length
                        >and/or "scholarliness"....

                        I don't know what's behind this particular case, but Carl's claim is by no
                        means as ridiculous as it may sound. Even university presses publishing
                        tenure-gathering books by actual professors are after their authors not to
                        put too much scholarly apparatus in their manuscripts. I'm currently
                        witnessing such a train wreck going on with a friend's book.

                        David Bratman
                      • Croft, Janet B.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                          That is extemely disheartening. I take pride in creating extensive,
                          carefully-edited bibliographies and indexes for my books, and I find
                          "scholarly" books without them frustrating and far less useful than they
                          could be. I haven't run across this problem with a publisher -- yet --
                          and I hope I won't.

                          Janet Brennan Croft

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                            Indeed-- I hope this trend is nipped in the bud. -- and, quickly! Lezlie

                            > That is extemely disheartening. I take pride in creating extensive,
                            > carefully-edited bibliographies and indexes for my books, and I find
                            > "scholarly" books without them frustrating and far less useful than they
                            > could be. I haven't run across this problem with a publisher -- yet --
                            > and I hope I won't.
                            >

                            > Janet Brennan Croft

                          • John D Rateliff
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                              There are also line standards to consider. The nearest parallel to
                              Verlyn's SWM is Wayne & Christina's FGH from 1999, where they print
                              the final text, the earliest draft, and what supplementary material
                              exists (the fragmentary sequel) but don't feel called upon to list
                              the various essays focusing on FGH (and all such secondary materials
                              are of course absent from their earlier edition of ROVERANDOM).
                              Similarly, Christopher's editions of the LotR papers (HME VI-IX &
                              XII) don't include critical bibliographies of secondary material. The
                              focus is all these works is on the primary material by Tolkien, not
                              the secondary works about them, although outside pieces are cited on
                              specific points as relevant. I certainly don't have the space to
                              include a bibliography of everything worthwhile that's been written
                              about The Hobbit, which would be a book-length project in itself,
                              although Doug has made a good start with his bibliography (part IV:
                              Selected Criticism) in The Annotated Hobbit.
                              So, while I'd like to see bibliographies focusing on the shorter
                              works (almost all of which would start with Kocher), their absence
                              doesn't diminish these editions for me.
                              -JDR

                              On Mar 21, 2006, at 4:52 PM, David Bratman wrote:
                              > At 06:58 PM 3/21/2006 -0500, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
                              >> Let's not assume that the lack of a such a bibliography is due to the
                              >> author, as opposed to constraints imposed by the publisher on length
                              >> and/or "scholarliness"....
                              >
                              > I don't know what's behind this particular case, but Carl's claim
                              > is by no
                              > means as ridiculous as it may sound. Even university presses
                              > publishing
                              > tenure-gathering books by actual professors are after their authors
                              > not to
                              > put too much scholarly apparatus in their manuscripts. I'm currently
                              > witnessing such a train wreck going on with a friend's book.
                              >
                              > David Bratman

                            • Carl F. Hostetter
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                                The thing is, HarperCollins (at any rate, the division responsible
                                for Tolkien) don't consider themselves to be scholarly publishers. So
                                I don't guess they'd be inclined to see a scholarly apparatus as at
                                all important or desirable.

                                On Mar 22, 2006, at 9:33 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

                                > That is extemely disheartening. I take pride in creating extensive,
                                > carefully-edited bibliographies and indexes for my books, and I find
                                > "scholarly" books without them frustrating and far less useful than
                                > they
                                > could be. I haven't run across this problem with a publisher --
                                > yet --
                                > and I hope I won't.

                              • John D Rateliff
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                                  Just got my copy of the Blackwelder festschrift today, and well worth
                                  the wait. A quick skim confirms my memory that there were a lot of
                                  top-notch papers in here; looking forward to the chance to read them.
                                  pity Klamut and Van Caster's presentation on teaching Tolkien isn't
                                  here, since I missed their session, but still it's a remarkably
                                  complete record of a very good set of papers. Wayne & Christina did
                                  an exceptional job to get it out less than a year and a half after
                                  the conference. It goes on my shelf next to the Flieger-Hostetter
                                  edited LEGENDARIUM.
                                  Thought I'd mention here, since it came up a few days ago, that
                                  the brief memoir by Chuck Elston gives a good overview of the
                                  Blackwelder bequest now at Marquette, and Wayne's closing piece
                                  specifically surveys the various archival collections the Tolkienist
                                  will want to consult, and why.

                                  --JDR

                                  current reading: THE MIND OF RAVENS by Bernd Heinrich.
                                • Mike Foster
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                                    I add my lauds & matins to the superb editing job by Wayne and
                                    Christina. I'm savoring these papers like Belgian chocolates: one a
                                    day. Chuck Elston's piece on Dick Blackwelder was very moving and
                                    soulful. A long-expected publication about a long-expected party.

                                    Sadly, today's mail also brought the news that Balin/ Greg of the One
                                    Ring Netwwork, first met at that Marquette conference, has died of
                                    cancer, a fellow fan and scholar of remarkable generosity and, even in
                                    Pasadena in January, wheel-chair bound, a cheery companion.

                                    RIP.

                                    Mike