Re: Documenting Tolkien university classes

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 17, 2006
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

      > > No one's class will be excluded provided there is a publicly
      > > accessible page which describes the course and its study
      materials.

      > The point of my last email was to point out that by restricting
      > your list to only materials accessible via the web, you'll be
      > leaving out a whole lot of Tolkien courses being taught out there,
      > because of programs like Blackboard. You could make wider appeals
      > for syllabi and information and place those on your own server.
      > Just a suggestion.

      I appreciate the suggestion, Larry. My partner does sysadmin work
      for a university, so I've heard of Blackboard and understood what
      you were saying.

      For now, the purpose of the Web site is to direct people interested
      in studying Middle-earth through Internet resources to a broad
      selection of reference sites. The academic pages with course
      information and syllabi are a secondary tier of resources.

      However, now that several professors have mentioned the value they
      could derive from an extensive listing of university courses, I
      appreciate the need and will do my best to address it. I've already
      redesigned the page and will probably add a second list just of
      schools which offer courses but don't make any information publicly
      available.

      I may also, should I keep my energy level on this project going,
      create a directory of professors/instructors who have published
      books and articles about Tolkien. But then again, I may not. That
      is far more ambitious than I originally planned.

      > ANd again, a worthy project, so nice job!

      Thank you. My goal is to produce a large resource at the site by
      the end of the year. This is by no means a 1-week project.

      For example, I've come across several university Web sites that
      discuss Tolkien Studies institutes, journals, and special programs
      I've never heard of before. Again, that's outside the scope
      of "Tolkien Studies on the Web", but I hate to just leave that
      information buried amid a huge list of URLs I have to sift through.

      So, assuming I don't run out of steam before I reach that point, I
      may compile another directory of these types of special academic
      resources.

      I thought I knew what I was getting into, but it's turning out to be
      a pretty big iceberg.

      --
      Michael Martinez
      "Cuando Maria canta, canta para mí"