Re: [Re: _Reading The Lord of the Rings_ (was Re: New Arrivals), springcherry54@hotmail.com

  • Cai Cherie
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2006
      Perhaps I'm in too good a mood this morn and therefor prone to making over sweeping generalizations, but from my incredulous viewpoint, theory over story (versus theory in service to story) is mostly for folks whose' intelligences lack imagination. The problem then is that their thinking remains rich, too rich in fact, in fancy. Is it a lack of imagination, if imagination is a feel for stories, symbols and principles greater than oneself, that fuels fancy, which is a feel for stories, symbols and principles smaller than oneselve?

      One can argue that the ascendancy of theory in lit crit is analogous to fundamentalism in religion. It is an attempt to be scientific about a dimension never intended for, nor always enhanced by, such an approach.

      I like the idea of theory as colored glasses. Funny, how a short, accurate metaphor can get across a point better than a long theory can. Well, for me at least.

      Cai