RE: [mythsoc] Another new arrival: _The Lord of the Rings 1954-2004: Scholarship in Honor of Richard E. Blackwelder_

  • Oberhelman, D
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 16, 2006
      I just received mine yesterday, and was able to start it today on an airplane trip. I was at the Marquette conference in 2004, so it has been wonderful getting to relive those papers again.

      **************************************
      David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor
      Humanities-Social Sciences Division
      Oklahoma State University Library
      Stillwater, OK 74078
      Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
      Email: d.oberhelman@...

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 17, 2006

        > I just got Verlyn Flieger's edition of _Smith of Wootton Major_ and
        gave
        > it a quick read-through last night. Lots of good stuff I've never
        seen
        > before!
        > Janet

        Janet, your post reminds me of a question I've meant to ask group
        members who are academics. I read Flieger's edition of Smith of
        Wootton Major some months ago with great enjoyment, on account of the
        transcriptions of manuscrips by Tolkien that she includes. Especially
        wonderful, for those like me who love and hang on every word that
        Tolkien ever wrote, is his essay "Smith of Wooten Major," about the
        nature of Faery. It's some 18 pages long and a real treasure. Where,
        I wondered, did she find this? (This is not my main question yet.)
        It's not easy to discover, but in fact
        she says, in a note for one of the other pieces, that these
        manuscripts (which? all?) are in the Bodleian collection. Then
        remembering that she discusses Smith at some length in A Question of
        Time--indeed she discusses and quotes from this very essay--I checked
        and there this essay is clearly cited as a Bodleian manuscript.
        So, here's my question, arising from this wonder and delight at
        reading not-yet-encountered words of Tolkien. What else is in this
        Bodleian collection? How many unpublished papers, letters,
        manuscripts, drafts? I thought everything came to light in The
        History of Middle-earth, but obviously this is not the case (or is
        only the case for Middle-earth). There are also the collections at
        Marquette and Wheaton. Do any of you know the extent of these? Can we
        expect more wonders from the people who do research at these places?
        Sara Ciborski
      • Beth Russell
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 17, 2006
          >What else is in this
          >Bodleian collection? How many unpublished papers, letters,
          >manuscripts, drafts? I thought everything came to light in The
          >History of Middle-earth, but obviously this is not the case (or is
          >only the case for Middle-earth). There are also the collections at
          >Marquette and Wheaton. Do any of you know the extent of these? Can we
          >expect more wonders from the people who do research at these places?
          >Sara Ciborski

          Hammond and Scull quote many times from previously unpublished writings
          in their new "Reader's Companion." There is an unpublished time scheme
          for LOTR that has many nuggets of information. For instance, that it
          Gimli, Aragorn, and Legolas did indeed see Saruman at the edge of
          Fangorn Forest. The book adds to the wonderful depth and
          interconnectedness of LOTR.

          Beth Russell

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • saraciborski
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 18, 2006
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Beth Russell" <russells@...> wrote:
            > Hammond and Scull quote many times from previously unpublished
            writings in their new "Reader's Companion."

            > Beth Russell
            >
            > Yes, the Companion with its many quotes from previously unpublished
            writings is wonderful. But it raised the same question for me about the
            scope and contents of the various collections. I did get an answer off-
            list.

            Sara Ciborski

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Lezlie
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "saraciborski" <saraciborski@...> wrote:

              > > before!
              > > Janet
              > >
              > Janet, your post reminds me of a question I've meant to ask group
              > members who are academics. I read Flieger's edition of Smith of
              > Wootton Major some months ago with great enjoyment, on account of the
              > transcriptions of manuscrips by Tolkien that she includes. Especially
              > wonderful, for those like me who love and hang on every word that
              > Tolkien ever wrote, is his essay "Smith of Wooten Major,"

              This is a different essay than "On Faery Stories" in the tolkien
              Reader? Lezlie
            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                Yes, it's an essay just on Smith. I read through it very quickly and
                will do it more justice later, but this is new, never-before-published
                material. David Bratman has a review in the latest Mythprint.

                Janet

                Especially
                > wonderful, for those like me who love and hang on every word that
                > Tolkien ever wrote, is his essay "Smith of Wooten Major,"

                This is a different essay than "On Faery Stories" in the tolkien Reader?
                Lezlie

                Links
              • John D Rateliff
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                  Yes, Verlyn's edition includes not just the entire text of SMITH with
                  the Baynes illustrations but also a lot of previously unpublished
                  material relating to the story:

                  Tolkien's unfinished introduction to MacDonald's The Golden Key.
                  A chronology and a list of characters, not all of whom appeared in
                  the published tale.
                  A facsimile of the composite manuscript/typescript of the first
                  draft ("The Great Cake"), with transcription on facing pages, and the
                  Plot Notes for the conclusion.
                  ibid for the short interpolated "Lake of Tears" scene.
                  a short note from Tolkien to Clyde Kilby describing the origin of
                  the story, written in 1967 when he was negotiating with Wheaton over
                  selling them the Smith papers (a deal which fell through).
                  an essay Tolkien wrote about the story, speculating on various
                  elements in it and adding a lot of detail about the characters,
                  background, and setting.

                  In short, absolutely essential reading for anyone interested in the
                  story or in Tolkien's final thoughts on the interrelations between
                  the human world and Faerie. Fortunately, amazon.co.uk ships to the US.

                  --JDR

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                    To my mind, Tolkien's essay on "Smith" is a fascinating piece that reveals
                    as clearly as anything why Tolkien is a great writer.

                    The one thing that got left out of the edition was the introduction that
                    Tolkien used when he read Smith aloud once, before the story was published.

                    At least as of the time I got it, you could buy this book through US Amazon
                    as well as UK Amazon. (As there is no US edition, the UK edition is for
                    sale in the US.) This might take longer than ordering it directly from the
                    UK, but it might also be less expensive. Check how it is now and see.

                    David Bratman
                  • Mike Foster
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                      Just a quick holler to properly kudo [can it be a verb?] David's two
                      reviews in the MYTHPRINT that the owl brought today. Nicely done, DB.

                      Mike

                      David Bratman wrote:

                      >To my mind, Tolkien's essay on "Smith" is a fascinating piece that reveals
                      >as clearly as anything why Tolkien is a great writer.
                      >
                      >The one thing that got left out of the edition was the introduction that
                      >Tolkien used when he read Smith aloud once, before the story was published.
                      >
                      >At least as of the time I got it, you could buy this book through US Amazon
                      >as well as UK Amazon. (As there is no US edition, the UK edition is for
                      >sale in the US.) This might take longer than ordering it directly from the
                      >UK, but it might also be less expensive. Check how it is now and see.
                      >
                      >David Bratman

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Croft, Janet B.
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                        The only lack I felt in reading the book was a bibliography of criticism
                        on "Smith," both what Flieger mentioned and other works, but that's just
                        me, perhaps. A project for someone to tackle sometime... I got mine from
                        Amazon US.

                        Janet

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                          I also feel this is a blemish on an otherwise excellent read: Fleiger could easily have provided such a bibliography, or even a short list of the best commentaries on "Smith" including her own in A Question of Time and Shippey's in Author of the Century.
                          Sara Ciborski

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                            Let's not assume that the lack of a such a bibliography is due to the
                            author, as opposed to constraints imposed by the publisher on length
                            and/or "scholarliness"....

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                              At 06:58 PM 3/21/2006 -0500, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
                              >Let's not assume that the lack of a such a bibliography is due to the
                              >author, as opposed to constraints imposed by the publisher on length
                              >and/or "scholarliness"....

                              I don't know what's behind this particular case, but Carl's claim is by no
                              means as ridiculous as it may sound. Even university presses publishing
                              tenure-gathering books by actual professors are after their authors not to
                              put too much scholarly apparatus in their manuscripts. I'm currently
                              witnessing such a train wreck going on with a friend's book.

                              David Bratman
                            • Croft, Janet B.
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                                That is extemely disheartening. I take pride in creating extensive,
                                carefully-edited bibliographies and indexes for my books, and I find
                                "scholarly" books without them frustrating and far less useful than they
                                could be. I haven't run across this problem with a publisher -- yet --
                                and I hope I won't.

                                Janet Brennan Croft

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                                  Indeed-- I hope this trend is nipped in the bud. -- and, quickly! Lezlie

                                  > That is extemely disheartening. I take pride in creating extensive,
                                  > carefully-edited bibliographies and indexes for my books, and I find
                                  > "scholarly" books without them frustrating and far less useful than they
                                  > could be. I haven't run across this problem with a publisher -- yet --
                                  > and I hope I won't.
                                  >

                                  > Janet Brennan Croft

                                • John D Rateliff
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                                    There are also line standards to consider. The nearest parallel to
                                    Verlyn's SWM is Wayne & Christina's FGH from 1999, where they print
                                    the final text, the earliest draft, and what supplementary material
                                    exists (the fragmentary sequel) but don't feel called upon to list
                                    the various essays focusing on FGH (and all such secondary materials
                                    are of course absent from their earlier edition of ROVERANDOM).
                                    Similarly, Christopher's editions of the LotR papers (HME VI-IX &
                                    XII) don't include critical bibliographies of secondary material. The
                                    focus is all these works is on the primary material by Tolkien, not
                                    the secondary works about them, although outside pieces are cited on
                                    specific points as relevant. I certainly don't have the space to
                                    include a bibliography of everything worthwhile that's been written
                                    about The Hobbit, which would be a book-length project in itself,
                                    although Doug has made a good start with his bibliography (part IV:
                                    Selected Criticism) in The Annotated Hobbit.
                                    So, while I'd like to see bibliographies focusing on the shorter
                                    works (almost all of which would start with Kocher), their absence
                                    doesn't diminish these editions for me.
                                    -JDR

                                    On Mar 21, 2006, at 4:52 PM, David Bratman wrote:
                                    > At 06:58 PM 3/21/2006 -0500, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
                                    >> Let's not assume that the lack of a such a bibliography is due to the
                                    >> author, as opposed to constraints imposed by the publisher on length
                                    >> and/or "scholarliness"....
                                    >
                                    > I don't know what's behind this particular case, but Carl's claim
                                    > is by no
                                    > means as ridiculous as it may sound. Even university presses
                                    > publishing
                                    > tenure-gathering books by actual professors are after their authors
                                    > not to
                                    > put too much scholarly apparatus in their manuscripts. I'm currently
                                    > witnessing such a train wreck going on with a friend's book.
                                    >
                                    > David Bratman

                                  • Carl F. Hostetter
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                                      The thing is, HarperCollins (at any rate, the division responsible
                                      for Tolkien) don't consider themselves to be scholarly publishers. So
                                      I don't guess they'd be inclined to see a scholarly apparatus as at
                                      all important or desirable.

                                      On Mar 22, 2006, at 9:33 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

                                      > That is extemely disheartening. I take pride in creating extensive,
                                      > carefully-edited bibliographies and indexes for my books, and I find
                                      > "scholarly" books without them frustrating and far less useful than
                                      > they
                                      > could be. I haven't run across this problem with a publisher --
                                      > yet --
                                      > and I hope I won't.

                                    • John D Rateliff
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                                        Just got my copy of the Blackwelder festschrift today, and well worth
                                        the wait. A quick skim confirms my memory that there were a lot of
                                        top-notch papers in here; looking forward to the chance to read them.
                                        pity Klamut and Van Caster's presentation on teaching Tolkien isn't
                                        here, since I missed their session, but still it's a remarkably
                                        complete record of a very good set of papers. Wayne & Christina did
                                        an exceptional job to get it out less than a year and a half after
                                        the conference. It goes on my shelf next to the Flieger-Hostetter
                                        edited LEGENDARIUM.
                                        Thought I'd mention here, since it came up a few days ago, that
                                        the brief memoir by Chuck Elston gives a good overview of the
                                        Blackwelder bequest now at Marquette, and Wayne's closing piece
                                        specifically surveys the various archival collections the Tolkienist
                                        will want to consult, and why.

                                        --JDR

                                        current reading: THE MIND OF RAVENS by Bernd Heinrich.
                                      • Mike Foster
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                                          I add my lauds & matins to the superb editing job by Wayne and
                                          Christina. I'm savoring these papers like Belgian chocolates: one a
                                          day. Chuck Elston's piece on Dick Blackwelder was very moving and
                                          soulful. A long-expected publication about a long-expected party.

                                          Sadly, today's mail also brought the news that Balin/ Greg of the One
                                          Ring Netwwork, first met at that Marquette conference, has died of
                                          cancer, a fellow fan and scholar of remarkable generosity and, even in
                                          Pasadena in January, wheel-chair bound, a cheery companion.

                                          RIP.

                                          Mike