RE: [mythsoc] Another new arrival: _The Lord of the Rings 1954-2004: Scholarship in Honor of Richard E. Blackwelder_

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 16, 2006
      Yippee! Just placed my order! I've been looking forward to this one.

      I just got Verlyn Flieger's edition of _Smith of Wootton Major_ and gave
      it a quick read-through last night. Lots of good stuff I've never seen
      before!

      Janet
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 16, 2006
        It's always nice to see one's work cited, but I am rather puzzled by
        this assessment by John Rateliff in his paper, "'And All the Days of
        Her Life Are Forgotten': _The Lord of the Rings_ as Mythic
        Prehistory", in the Marquette proceedings volume:

        "Hostetter and Smith in their essay 'A Mythology for England' [in the
        1992 Oxford conference proceedings] ... have assumed that Tolkien
        meant his myth would have to incorporate elements from now-lost
        English legends. While this was certainly an important part of
        Tolkien's schema, I think his words are more literal than they credit."

        John then goes on to discuss, seemingly by way of contrast, the well-
        known fact that in its earliest form the setting of Tolkien's
        mythology _was_ England.

        But Arden and I made precisely this same point in "A Mythology for
        English". For example in discussing precisely that schema, quoting
        the same passage from Tolkien's long letter to Milton Waldman that
        John does, we write:

        "The distinction that Tolkien draws between things British and things
        English is important. While there is a considerable body of legend
        concerning Britain, the Land of the Britons, there is virtually
        nothing of the proper quality that expresses the genius of England,
        Englalond of the Anglo-Saxons, "the Land of the people of the Angle".
        There is no English epic associated with both the soil _and_ the
        tongue of England, no Anglo-Saxon Mabinogion, no Iliad or Táin or
        Aeneid, no Nibelungenlied or Edda or Kalevala."

        And we go on to note that:

        "By his own criteria, Tolkien could create a mythology for England
        only by setting it on English soil, writing it in Old English, and
        featuring figures from English or at least Germanic mythology".

        It's true that we then go on to say: "or at any rate by encompassing
        elements of English geography, language, and mythology within his
        own" (the fact of which we go on to demonstrate with a few chosen
        examples); but that relaxation of the strictures for the sake of
        discussion does not obviate the literal import of Tolkien's precisely
        formed criteria, which we state explicitly.

        What's more, we also provide a precis of the geographical situation
        in our discussion of Aelfwine, noting, for example, that:

        "In the earliest version of what would become the story of Aelfwine,
        the mortal mariner who comes to Tol Eressëa, the Lonely Isle of the
        Elves in the middle of the Great Sea, is named Ottor Wæ!fre 'Otter
        the Restless'. Ottor, whom the Gnomes name Eriol 'One who dreams
        alone', is the compiler of the Parma Kuluinen, the 'Golden Book',
        whose tales he records in the Eressëan village of Tavrobel, the
        'Great Haywood', after hearing them recited by the Gnomes in Mar
        Vanwa Tyaliéva, the 'Cottage of Lost Play' in Kortirion, the chief
        town of Alalminórë, the 'Land of Elms'. The most remarkable fact of
        this stage of the mythology is that Tol Eressëa is Britain; that is,
        Tol Eressëa is drawn east by the Vala Ulmo and the great whale Uin
        into the geographical position of England, and Ireland is formed when
        the god Ossë attempts to thwart Ulmo's efforts and breaks off the
        western half of the island. Thus Kortirion is not simply modeled on
        Tolkien's beloved Warwick, it is Warwick, both geographically and
        etymologically; and Tavrobel is the village of Great Haywood in
        Staffordshire."

        So it seems to me that we took Tolkien's own stated criteria
        _precisely_ at face value, and I'm at a loss to see how we could
        credit what Tolkien said any _more_ literally.

        ------------

        I'd also like to take this opportunity to note, apropos of John's
        extended notes regarding _ond_ 'stone', that Pat Wynne and I
        identified the source of Tolkien's knowledge of this (supposed) pre-
        Celtic element as John Rhys's _Celtic Britain_, in our paper "Stone
        Towers" that was published in Mythlore 74 (1993).
      • Oberhelman, D
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 16, 2006
          I just received mine yesterday, and was able to start it today on an airplane trip. I was at the Marquette conference in 2004, so it has been wonderful getting to relive those papers again.

          **************************************
          David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
          Associate Professor
          Humanities-Social Sciences Division
          Oklahoma State University Library
          Stillwater, OK 74078
          Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
          Email: d.oberhelman@...

          ________________________________

          Yippee! Just placed my order! I've been looking forward to this one.

          I just got Verlyn Flieger's edition of _Smith of Wootton Major_ and gave
          it a quick read-through last night. Lots of good stuff I've never seen
          before!

          Janet

          Writing book <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLyccicIbmLvw> Writing a book <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYxhLh9xKmaZA> Writing child book <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsyQ7cty1c0_Mdmcw>
          Book writing software <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXzOVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA> Science fiction and fantasy <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ> Writing a book report <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7bRwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ>

        • saraciborski
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 17, 2006

            > I just got Verlyn Flieger's edition of _Smith of Wootton Major_ and
            gave
            > it a quick read-through last night. Lots of good stuff I've never
            seen
            > before!
            > Janet

            Janet, your post reminds me of a question I've meant to ask group
            members who are academics. I read Flieger's edition of Smith of
            Wootton Major some months ago with great enjoyment, on account of the
            transcriptions of manuscrips by Tolkien that she includes. Especially
            wonderful, for those like me who love and hang on every word that
            Tolkien ever wrote, is his essay "Smith of Wooten Major," about the
            nature of Faery. It's some 18 pages long and a real treasure. Where,
            I wondered, did she find this? (This is not my main question yet.)
            It's not easy to discover, but in fact
            she says, in a note for one of the other pieces, that these
            manuscripts (which? all?) are in the Bodleian collection. Then
            remembering that she discusses Smith at some length in A Question of
            Time--indeed she discusses and quotes from this very essay--I checked
            and there this essay is clearly cited as a Bodleian manuscript.
            So, here's my question, arising from this wonder and delight at
            reading not-yet-encountered words of Tolkien. What else is in this
            Bodleian collection? How many unpublished papers, letters,
            manuscripts, drafts? I thought everything came to light in The
            History of Middle-earth, but obviously this is not the case (or is
            only the case for Middle-earth). There are also the collections at
            Marquette and Wheaton. Do any of you know the extent of these? Can we
            expect more wonders from the people who do research at these places?
            Sara Ciborski
          • Beth Russell
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 17, 2006
              >What else is in this
              >Bodleian collection? How many unpublished papers, letters,
              >manuscripts, drafts? I thought everything came to light in The
              >History of Middle-earth, but obviously this is not the case (or is
              >only the case for Middle-earth). There are also the collections at
              >Marquette and Wheaton. Do any of you know the extent of these? Can we
              >expect more wonders from the people who do research at these places?
              >Sara Ciborski

              Hammond and Scull quote many times from previously unpublished writings
              in their new "Reader's Companion." There is an unpublished time scheme
              for LOTR that has many nuggets of information. For instance, that it
              Gimli, Aragorn, and Legolas did indeed see Saruman at the edge of
              Fangorn Forest. The book adds to the wonderful depth and
              interconnectedness of LOTR.

              Beth Russell

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • saraciborski
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 18, 2006
                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Beth Russell" <russells@...> wrote:
                > Hammond and Scull quote many times from previously unpublished
                writings in their new "Reader's Companion."

                > Beth Russell
                >
                > Yes, the Companion with its many quotes from previously unpublished
                writings is wonderful. But it raised the same question for me about the
                scope and contents of the various collections. I did get an answer off-
                list.

                Sara Ciborski

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Lezlie
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "saraciborski" <saraciborski@...> wrote:

                  > > before!
                  > > Janet
                  > >
                  > Janet, your post reminds me of a question I've meant to ask group
                  > members who are academics. I read Flieger's edition of Smith of
                  > Wootton Major some months ago with great enjoyment, on account of the
                  > transcriptions of manuscrips by Tolkien that she includes. Especially
                  > wonderful, for those like me who love and hang on every word that
                  > Tolkien ever wrote, is his essay "Smith of Wooten Major,"

                  This is a different essay than "On Faery Stories" in the tolkien
                  Reader? Lezlie
                • Croft, Janet B.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                    Yes, it's an essay just on Smith. I read through it very quickly and
                    will do it more justice later, but this is new, never-before-published
                    material. David Bratman has a review in the latest Mythprint.

                    Janet

                    Especially
                    > wonderful, for those like me who love and hang on every word that
                    > Tolkien ever wrote, is his essay "Smith of Wooten Major,"

                    This is a different essay than "On Faery Stories" in the tolkien Reader?
                    Lezlie

                    Links
                  • John D Rateliff
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                      Yes, Verlyn's edition includes not just the entire text of SMITH with
                      the Baynes illustrations but also a lot of previously unpublished
                      material relating to the story:

                      Tolkien's unfinished introduction to MacDonald's The Golden Key.
                      A chronology and a list of characters, not all of whom appeared in
                      the published tale.
                      A facsimile of the composite manuscript/typescript of the first
                      draft ("The Great Cake"), with transcription on facing pages, and the
                      Plot Notes for the conclusion.
                      ibid for the short interpolated "Lake of Tears" scene.
                      a short note from Tolkien to Clyde Kilby describing the origin of
                      the story, written in 1967 when he was negotiating with Wheaton over
                      selling them the Smith papers (a deal which fell through).
                      an essay Tolkien wrote about the story, speculating on various
                      elements in it and adding a lot of detail about the characters,
                      background, and setting.

                      In short, absolutely essential reading for anyone interested in the
                      story or in Tolkien's final thoughts on the interrelations between
                      the human world and Faerie. Fortunately, amazon.co.uk ships to the US.

                      --JDR

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                        To my mind, Tolkien's essay on "Smith" is a fascinating piece that reveals
                        as clearly as anything why Tolkien is a great writer.

                        The one thing that got left out of the edition was the introduction that
                        Tolkien used when he read Smith aloud once, before the story was published.

                        At least as of the time I got it, you could buy this book through US Amazon
                        as well as UK Amazon. (As there is no US edition, the UK edition is for
                        sale in the US.) This might take longer than ordering it directly from the
                        UK, but it might also be less expensive. Check how it is now and see.

                        David Bratman
                      • Mike Foster
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                          Just a quick holler to properly kudo [can it be a verb?] David's two
                          reviews in the MYTHPRINT that the owl brought today. Nicely done, DB.

                          Mike

                          David Bratman wrote:

                          >To my mind, Tolkien's essay on "Smith" is a fascinating piece that reveals
                          >as clearly as anything why Tolkien is a great writer.
                          >
                          >The one thing that got left out of the edition was the introduction that
                          >Tolkien used when he read Smith aloud once, before the story was published.
                          >
                          >At least as of the time I got it, you could buy this book through US Amazon
                          >as well as UK Amazon. (As there is no US edition, the UK edition is for
                          >sale in the US.) This might take longer than ordering it directly from the
                          >UK, but it might also be less expensive. Check how it is now and see.
                          >
                          >David Bratman

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Croft, Janet B.
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                            The only lack I felt in reading the book was a bibliography of criticism
                            on "Smith," both what Flieger mentioned and other works, but that's just
                            me, perhaps. A project for someone to tackle sometime... I got mine from
                            Amazon US.

                            Janet

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                              I also feel this is a blemish on an otherwise excellent read: Fleiger could easily have provided such a bibliography, or even a short list of the best commentaries on "Smith" including her own in A Question of Time and Shippey's in Author of the Century.
                              Sara Ciborski

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                                Let's not assume that the lack of a such a bibliography is due to the
                                author, as opposed to constraints imposed by the publisher on length
                                and/or "scholarliness"....

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 21, 2006
                                  At 06:58 PM 3/21/2006 -0500, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
                                  >Let's not assume that the lack of a such a bibliography is due to the
                                  >author, as opposed to constraints imposed by the publisher on length
                                  >and/or "scholarliness"....

                                  I don't know what's behind this particular case, but Carl's claim is by no
                                  means as ridiculous as it may sound. Even university presses publishing
                                  tenure-gathering books by actual professors are after their authors not to
                                  put too much scholarly apparatus in their manuscripts. I'm currently
                                  witnessing such a train wreck going on with a friend's book.

                                  David Bratman
                                • Croft, Janet B.
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                                    That is extemely disheartening. I take pride in creating extensive,
                                    carefully-edited bibliographies and indexes for my books, and I find
                                    "scholarly" books without them frustrating and far less useful than they
                                    could be. I haven't run across this problem with a publisher -- yet --
                                    and I hope I won't.

                                    Janet Brennan Croft

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                                      Indeed-- I hope this trend is nipped in the bud. -- and, quickly! Lezlie

                                      > That is extemely disheartening. I take pride in creating extensive,
                                      > carefully-edited bibliographies and indexes for my books, and I find
                                      > "scholarly" books without them frustrating and far less useful than they
                                      > could be. I haven't run across this problem with a publisher -- yet --
                                      > and I hope I won't.
                                      >

                                      > Janet Brennan Croft

                                    • John D Rateliff
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                                        There are also line standards to consider. The nearest parallel to
                                        Verlyn's SWM is Wayne & Christina's FGH from 1999, where they print
                                        the final text, the earliest draft, and what supplementary material
                                        exists (the fragmentary sequel) but don't feel called upon to list
                                        the various essays focusing on FGH (and all such secondary materials
                                        are of course absent from their earlier edition of ROVERANDOM).
                                        Similarly, Christopher's editions of the LotR papers (HME VI-IX &
                                        XII) don't include critical bibliographies of secondary material. The
                                        focus is all these works is on the primary material by Tolkien, not
                                        the secondary works about them, although outside pieces are cited on
                                        specific points as relevant. I certainly don't have the space to
                                        include a bibliography of everything worthwhile that's been written
                                        about The Hobbit, which would be a book-length project in itself,
                                        although Doug has made a good start with his bibliography (part IV:
                                        Selected Criticism) in The Annotated Hobbit.
                                        So, while I'd like to see bibliographies focusing on the shorter
                                        works (almost all of which would start with Kocher), their absence
                                        doesn't diminish these editions for me.
                                        -JDR

                                        On Mar 21, 2006, at 4:52 PM, David Bratman wrote:
                                        > At 06:58 PM 3/21/2006 -0500, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
                                        >> Let's not assume that the lack of a such a bibliography is due to the
                                        >> author, as opposed to constraints imposed by the publisher on length
                                        >> and/or "scholarliness"....
                                        >
                                        > I don't know what's behind this particular case, but Carl's claim
                                        > is by no
                                        > means as ridiculous as it may sound. Even university presses
                                        > publishing
                                        > tenure-gathering books by actual professors are after their authors
                                        > not to
                                        > put too much scholarly apparatus in their manuscripts. I'm currently
                                        > witnessing such a train wreck going on with a friend's book.
                                        >
                                        > David Bratman

                                      • Carl F. Hostetter
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                                          The thing is, HarperCollins (at any rate, the division responsible
                                          for Tolkien) don't consider themselves to be scholarly publishers. So
                                          I don't guess they'd be inclined to see a scholarly apparatus as at
                                          all important or desirable.

                                          On Mar 22, 2006, at 9:33 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

                                          > That is extemely disheartening. I take pride in creating extensive,
                                          > carefully-edited bibliographies and indexes for my books, and I find
                                          > "scholarly" books without them frustrating and far less useful than
                                          > they
                                          > could be. I haven't run across this problem with a publisher --
                                          > yet --
                                          > and I hope I won't.

                                        • John D Rateliff
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                                            Just got my copy of the Blackwelder festschrift today, and well worth
                                            the wait. A quick skim confirms my memory that there were a lot of
                                            top-notch papers in here; looking forward to the chance to read them.
                                            pity Klamut and Van Caster's presentation on teaching Tolkien isn't
                                            here, since I missed their session, but still it's a remarkably
                                            complete record of a very good set of papers. Wayne & Christina did
                                            an exceptional job to get it out less than a year and a half after
                                            the conference. It goes on my shelf next to the Flieger-Hostetter
                                            edited LEGENDARIUM.
                                            Thought I'd mention here, since it came up a few days ago, that
                                            the brief memoir by Chuck Elston gives a good overview of the
                                            Blackwelder bequest now at Marquette, and Wayne's closing piece
                                            specifically surveys the various archival collections the Tolkienist
                                            will want to consult, and why.

                                            --JDR

                                            current reading: THE MIND OF RAVENS by Bernd Heinrich.
                                          • Mike Foster
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 22, 2006
                                              I add my lauds & matins to the superb editing job by Wayne and
                                              Christina. I'm savoring these papers like Belgian chocolates: one a
                                              day. Chuck Elston's piece on Dick Blackwelder was very moving and
                                              soulful. A long-expected publication about a long-expected party.

                                              Sadly, today's mail also brought the news that Balin/ Greg of the One
                                              Ring Netwwork, first met at that Marquette conference, has died of
                                              cancer, a fellow fan and scholar of remarkable generosity and, even in
                                              Pasadena in January, wheel-chair bound, a cheery companion.

                                              RIP.

                                              Mike