Another new arrival: _The Lord of the Rings 1 954–2004: Scholarship in Honor of Richard E. Blackwelder_

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16 2:18 PM
      I just received my copy of _The Lord of the Rings 1954–2004:
      Scholarship in Honor of Richard E. Blackwelder_, i.e., the
      proceedings of the conference of the same name that was held at
      Marquette in Oct. 2004:

      <http://www.marquette.edu/library/information/news/2006/
      jrrt_proceedings.html>

      I've only read one of the essays in the book -- my own, so I'll leave
      others to speak for _that_ -- though I heard most of the papers in
      their presented form at the conference, so I can say, apropos the
      present discussion, that it is for the most part mercifully free of
      the sort of "theory" on exhibit today, and moreover chock full of
      some truly fine critical scholarship, as the list of contributors at
      the link given above will have led you to expect, and thus recommend
      the volume wholeheartedly.

      For now, I'll just say that the book looks _gorgeous_, thanks to the
      editing, typesetting, and production skills of Wayne Hammond and
      Christina Scull, to whom I extend my personal thanks for the great
      job they did on the book and my own contribution.