Re: Documenting Tolkien university classes

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 16, 2006
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Winslow" <bluewoad@...> wrote:

      > Michael,
      >
      > The University of Washington, Seattle, just recently (within the past
      > two months) approved a new course on Tolkien, to be offered by the
      > history department.
      >
      > http://www.washington.edu/students/crscat/modeuro.html#hsteu370

      Thanks.

      I can see I'm going to have to redesign my links list sooner than I
      hoped. I've found several institutions where all they have are little
      blurbs like that one. Jane Chance pointed out to me that this list
      will be useful to people who need to project potential sales to
      students for books on Tolkien. A supplemental list of class listings
      without the reference material would probably be helpful.

      --
      Michael Martinez
      Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 16, 2006
        Michael,

        You should keep in mind that a number of colleges and universities use programs such as Blackboard now, that while use a web interface are not available via the web. My course for example From Homer to Neo in which over 1/3 is devoted to LoTR is entirely on blackboard. While I'm sure that you would never list my course, I know that I can not be alone in this.

        You might take a look too if you haven't already at the Univ. of Chicago. I applied for a faculty job there recently and the person whose position I assume is the one being replaced taught several Tolkien courses over the last few years. You may already have these though.

        Larry Swain

        > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Winslow" <bluewoad@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Michael,
        > >
        > > The University of Washington, Seattle, just recently (within the past
        > > two months) approved a new course on Tolkien, to be offered by the
        > > history department.
        > >
        > > http://www.washington.edu/students/crscat/modeuro.html#hsteu370
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > I can see I'm going to have to redesign my links list sooner than I
        > hoped. I've found several institutions where all they have are little
        > blurbs like that one. Jane Chance pointed out to me that this list
        > will be useful to people who need to project potential sales to
        > students for books on Tolkien. A supplemental list of class listings
        > without the reference material would probably be helpful.
        >
        > --
        > Michael Martinez
        > Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
        > Middle-earth
        > http://www.michael-martinez.com/
        > "Cuando Maria canta, ella canta para mí"

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Powered by Outblaze
      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 16, 2006
          Mike wrote: Jane Chance pointed out to me that this list will be useful
          to people who need to project potential sales to students for books on
          Tolkien.

          Good point! I've passed your original request on to two people I know
          of who teach Tolkien-centered classes here on campus. There's another
          one on folklore that includes a lot of Tolkien but isn't centered on
          Tolkien, and I don't know if that would be of any interest to you.

          Janet Brennan Croft
          Head of Access Services
          University of Oklahoma Libraries
          Bizzell 104NW
          Norman OK 73019
          405-325-1918
          Fax 405-325-7618
          jbcroft@...
          http://libraries.ou.edu/
        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16, 2006
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

            > Michael,
            >
            > You should keep in mind that a number of colleges and universities
            > use programs such as Blackboard now, that while use a web interface
            > are not available via the web. My course for example From Homer to
            > Neo in which over 1/3 is devoted to LoTR is entirely on
            > blackboard. While I'm sure that you would never list my course, I
            > know that I can not be alone in this.

            The purpose of the listing is to collate in one place a list of
            online reference materials such as course syllabi and outlines for
            people who want to study Tolkien. The required reading lists will be
            the most useful portions of these sites.

            No one's class will be excluded provided there is a publicly
            accessible page which describes the course and its study materials.

            As I've already encountered a number of course listings that don't
            offer the details I'm looking for, I see I'll have to provide a
            secondary list of schools that offer classes relating to Tolkien.

            I have a list of several hundred URLs I am going through. It will
            take time. I decided to make this request in several places to speed
            up the process. Anyone who can point me to a URL like this one

            http://cc.purdue.edu/~corax/clcs337.html

            will be helping me. All suggestions are welcome. It doesn't matter
            if I already have the URLs. I'm just trying to compile a list as
            quickly as possible.

            No ratings, recommendations, referrals, endorsements, or
            blacklistings are involved. If an institution has added a class to
            its curriculum and has published information about the class (even if
            it's only a page under the instructor's account on the school
            server), I want to see the URL.

            Based on the feedback I've already received, I know this project will
            evolve pretty fast.

            --
            Michael Martinez
            "Cuando Maria canta, canta para mí"
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 16, 2006

              > Mike wrote: Jane Chance pointed out to me that this list will be
              useful
              > to people who need to project potential sales to students for books on
              > Tolkien.
              >
              > Good point! I've passed your original request on to two people I know
              > of who teach Tolkien-centered classes here on campus. There's another
              > one on folklore that includes a lot of Tolkien but isn't centered on
              > Tolkien, and I don't know if that would be of any interest to you.

              Well, I was hoping to get the site into better shape before posting the
              URL here, because it still needs a lot of work. The disclaimer is
              probably something that should be reworded into a less colorful
              statement, for example.

              But the new site is called Tolkien Studies on the Web. The domain is:

              http://www.tolkien-studies.com/

              The goal of this site is to provide resources for people who are
              studying the works of Tolkien. It's not directed at the academic
              community. It's directed at the online community. But I have long
              been aware of many academic Web sites that offer considerable
              information on Tolkien studies. I felt it would be appropriate to
              include the listing of schools that provide information on their
              Tolkien-related courses.

              The class listing is located at:

              http://www.tolkien-studies.com/tolkien-classes/

              The list right now is not very well organized. As I mentioned in my
              previous reply to Larry, I have compiled several hundred URLs that I
              have to go through. I am pretty sure I will be dropping the lengthy
              descriptions and excerpts that I've included so far. More than likely,
              the page will be broken up into sub-pages by discipline or by region.
              Eventually, I'll organize the listings alphabetically by school.

              But you can get an idea of what types of URLs I am seeking from the
              ones already published.

              I am not vetting these classes beyond the criteria I have already
              disclosed. If an institution has added a class with substantial
              Tolkien material or interest to its curriculum, that's good enough for
              me. I've sat on a university curriculum committee and I have an idea
              of what's involved in getting a class approved.

              This is not a political list in any sense. Other portions of the
              project apply some standards to selecting Web sites that may ruffle a
              few feathers, but no one in the academic community needs to be
              concerned about being excluded from this list on the basis of who they
              are, what books they have published, or whether they and I ever agree
              on anything.

              Thanks again to everyone for their help.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 17, 2006

                > No one's class will be excluded provided there is a publicly
                > accessible page which describes the course and its study materials.

                The point of my last email was to point out that by restricting your list to only materials accessible via the web, you'll be leaving out a whole lot of Tolkien courses being taught out there, because of programs like Blackboard. You could make wider appeals for syllabi and information and place those on your own server. Just a suggestion.

                ANd again, a worthy project, so nice job!

                Larry Swain

                Powered by Outblaze
              • Michael Martinez
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 17, 2006
                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

                  > > No one's class will be excluded provided there is a publicly
                  > > accessible page which describes the course and its study
                  materials.

                  > The point of my last email was to point out that by restricting
                  > your list to only materials accessible via the web, you'll be
                  > leaving out a whole lot of Tolkien courses being taught out there,
                  > because of programs like Blackboard. You could make wider appeals
                  > for syllabi and information and place those on your own server.
                  > Just a suggestion.

                  I appreciate the suggestion, Larry. My partner does sysadmin work
                  for a university, so I've heard of Blackboard and understood what
                  you were saying.

                  For now, the purpose of the Web site is to direct people interested
                  in studying Middle-earth through Internet resources to a broad
                  selection of reference sites. The academic pages with course
                  information and syllabi are a secondary tier of resources.

                  However, now that several professors have mentioned the value they
                  could derive from an extensive listing of university courses, I
                  appreciate the need and will do my best to address it. I've already
                  redesigned the page and will probably add a second list just of
                  schools which offer courses but don't make any information publicly
                  available.

                  I may also, should I keep my energy level on this project going,
                  create a directory of professors/instructors who have published
                  books and articles about Tolkien. But then again, I may not. That
                  is far more ambitious than I originally planned.

                  > ANd again, a worthy project, so nice job!

                  Thank you. My goal is to produce a large resource at the site by
                  the end of the year. This is by no means a 1-week project.

                  For example, I've come across several university Web sites that
                  discuss Tolkien Studies institutes, journals, and special programs
                  I've never heard of before. Again, that's outside the scope
                  of "Tolkien Studies on the Web", but I hate to just leave that
                  information buried amid a huge list of URLs I have to sift through.

                  So, assuming I don't run out of steam before I reach that point, I
                  may compile another directory of these types of special academic
                  resources.

                  I thought I knew what I was getting into, but it's turning out to be
                  a pretty big iceberg.