Re: [mythsoc] Documenting Tolkien university classes

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 16, 2006
      Michael,

      The University of Washington, Seattle, just recently (within the past
      two months) approved a new course on Tolkien, to be offered by the
      history department.

      http://www.washington.edu/students/crscat/modeuro.html#hsteu370

      --
      Matthew Winslow
      mwinslow@...

      Currently Reading: An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears
    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 16, 2006
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Winslow" <bluewoad@...> wrote:

        > Michael,
        >
        > The University of Washington, Seattle, just recently (within the past
        > two months) approved a new course on Tolkien, to be offered by the
        > history department.
        >
        > http://www.washington.edu/students/crscat/modeuro.html#hsteu370

        Thanks.

        I can see I'm going to have to redesign my links list sooner than I
        hoped. I've found several institutions where all they have are little
        blurbs like that one. Jane Chance pointed out to me that this list
        will be useful to people who need to project potential sales to
        students for books on Tolkien. A supplemental list of class listings
        without the reference material would probably be helpful.

        --
        Michael Martinez
        Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 16, 2006
          Michael,

          You should keep in mind that a number of colleges and universities use programs such as Blackboard now, that while use a web interface are not available via the web. My course for example From Homer to Neo in which over 1/3 is devoted to LoTR is entirely on blackboard. While I'm sure that you would never list my course, I know that I can not be alone in this.

          You might take a look too if you haven't already at the Univ. of Chicago. I applied for a faculty job there recently and the person whose position I assume is the one being replaced taught several Tolkien courses over the last few years. You may already have these though.

          Larry Swain

          > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Winslow" <bluewoad@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Michael,
          > >
          > > The University of Washington, Seattle, just recently (within the past
          > > two months) approved a new course on Tolkien, to be offered by the
          > > history department.
          > >
          > > http://www.washington.edu/students/crscat/modeuro.html#hsteu370
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > I can see I'm going to have to redesign my links list sooner than I
          > hoped. I've found several institutions where all they have are little
          > blurbs like that one. Jane Chance pointed out to me that this list
          > will be useful to people who need to project potential sales to
          > students for books on Tolkien. A supplemental list of class listings
          > without the reference material would probably be helpful.
          >
          > --
          > Michael Martinez
          > Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
          > Middle-earth
          > http://www.michael-martinez.com/
          > "Cuando Maria canta, ella canta para mí"

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Powered by Outblaze
        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16, 2006
            Mike wrote: Jane Chance pointed out to me that this list will be useful
            to people who need to project potential sales to students for books on
            Tolkien.

            Good point! I've passed your original request on to two people I know
            of who teach Tolkien-centered classes here on campus. There's another
            one on folklore that includes a lot of Tolkien but isn't centered on
            Tolkien, and I don't know if that would be of any interest to you.

            Janet Brennan Croft
            Head of Access Services
            University of Oklahoma Libraries
            Bizzell 104NW
            Norman OK 73019
            405-325-1918
            Fax 405-325-7618
            jbcroft@...
            http://libraries.ou.edu/
          • Michael Martinez
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 16, 2006
              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

              > Michael,
              >
              > You should keep in mind that a number of colleges and universities
              > use programs such as Blackboard now, that while use a web interface
              > are not available via the web. My course for example From Homer to
              > Neo in which over 1/3 is devoted to LoTR is entirely on
              > blackboard. While I'm sure that you would never list my course, I
              > know that I can not be alone in this.

              The purpose of the listing is to collate in one place a list of
              online reference materials such as course syllabi and outlines for
              people who want to study Tolkien. The required reading lists will be
              the most useful portions of these sites.

              No one's class will be excluded provided there is a publicly
              accessible page which describes the course and its study materials.

              As I've already encountered a number of course listings that don't
              offer the details I'm looking for, I see I'll have to provide a
              secondary list of schools that offer classes relating to Tolkien.

              I have a list of several hundred URLs I am going through. It will
              take time. I decided to make this request in several places to speed
              up the process. Anyone who can point me to a URL like this one

              http://cc.purdue.edu/~corax/clcs337.html

              will be helping me. All suggestions are welcome. It doesn't matter
              if I already have the URLs. I'm just trying to compile a list as
              quickly as possible.

              No ratings, recommendations, referrals, endorsements, or
              blacklistings are involved. If an institution has added a class to
              its curriculum and has published information about the class (even if
              it's only a page under the instructor's account on the school
              server), I want to see the URL.

              Based on the feedback I've already received, I know this project will
              evolve pretty fast.

              --
              Michael Martinez
              "Cuando Maria canta, canta para mí"
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 16, 2006

                > Mike wrote: Jane Chance pointed out to me that this list will be
                useful
                > to people who need to project potential sales to students for books on
                > Tolkien.
                >
                > Good point! I've passed your original request on to two people I know
                > of who teach Tolkien-centered classes here on campus. There's another
                > one on folklore that includes a lot of Tolkien but isn't centered on
                > Tolkien, and I don't know if that would be of any interest to you.

                Well, I was hoping to get the site into better shape before posting the
                URL here, because it still needs a lot of work. The disclaimer is
                probably something that should be reworded into a less colorful
                statement, for example.

                But the new site is called Tolkien Studies on the Web. The domain is:

                http://www.tolkien-studies.com/

                The goal of this site is to provide resources for people who are
                studying the works of Tolkien. It's not directed at the academic
                community. It's directed at the online community. But I have long
                been aware of many academic Web sites that offer considerable
                information on Tolkien studies. I felt it would be appropriate to
                include the listing of schools that provide information on their
                Tolkien-related courses.

                The class listing is located at:

                http://www.tolkien-studies.com/tolkien-classes/

                The list right now is not very well organized. As I mentioned in my
                previous reply to Larry, I have compiled several hundred URLs that I
                have to go through. I am pretty sure I will be dropping the lengthy
                descriptions and excerpts that I've included so far. More than likely,
                the page will be broken up into sub-pages by discipline or by region.
                Eventually, I'll organize the listings alphabetically by school.

                But you can get an idea of what types of URLs I am seeking from the
                ones already published.

                I am not vetting these classes beyond the criteria I have already
                disclosed. If an institution has added a class with substantial
                Tolkien material or interest to its curriculum, that's good enough for
                me. I've sat on a university curriculum committee and I have an idea
                of what's involved in getting a class approved.

                This is not a political list in any sense. Other portions of the
                project apply some standards to selecting Web sites that may ruffle a
                few feathers, but no one in the academic community needs to be
                concerned about being excluded from this list on the basis of who they
                are, what books they have published, or whether they and I ever agree
                on anything.

                Thanks again to everyone for their help.

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 17, 2006

                  > No one's class will be excluded provided there is a publicly
                  > accessible page which describes the course and its study materials.

                  The point of my last email was to point out that by restricting your list to only materials accessible via the web, you'll be leaving out a whole lot of Tolkien courses being taught out there, because of programs like Blackboard. You could make wider appeals for syllabi and information and place those on your own server. Just a suggestion.

                  ANd again, a worthy project, so nice job!

                  Larry Swain

                  Powered by Outblaze
                • Michael Martinez
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 17, 2006
                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

                    > > No one's class will be excluded provided there is a publicly
                    > > accessible page which describes the course and its study
                    materials.

                    > The point of my last email was to point out that by restricting
                    > your list to only materials accessible via the web, you'll be
                    > leaving out a whole lot of Tolkien courses being taught out there,
                    > because of programs like Blackboard. You could make wider appeals
                    > for syllabi and information and place those on your own server.
                    > Just a suggestion.

                    I appreciate the suggestion, Larry. My partner does sysadmin work
                    for a university, so I've heard of Blackboard and understood what
                    you were saying.

                    For now, the purpose of the Web site is to direct people interested
                    in studying Middle-earth through Internet resources to a broad
                    selection of reference sites. The academic pages with course
                    information and syllabi are a secondary tier of resources.

                    However, now that several professors have mentioned the value they
                    could derive from an extensive listing of university courses, I
                    appreciate the need and will do my best to address it. I've already
                    redesigned the page and will probably add a second list just of
                    schools which offer courses but don't make any information publicly
                    available.

                    I may also, should I keep my energy level on this project going,
                    create a directory of professors/instructors who have published
                    books and articles about Tolkien. But then again, I may not. That
                    is far more ambitious than I originally planned.

                    > ANd again, a worthy project, so nice job!

                    Thank you. My goal is to produce a large resource at the site by
                    the end of the year. This is by no means a 1-week project.

                    For example, I've come across several university Web sites that
                    discuss Tolkien Studies institutes, journals, and special programs
                    I've never heard of before. Again, that's outside the scope
                    of "Tolkien Studies on the Web", but I hate to just leave that
                    information buried amid a huge list of URLs I have to sift through.

                    So, assuming I don't run out of steam before I reach that point, I
                    may compile another directory of these types of special academic
                    resources.

                    I thought I knew what I was getting into, but it's turning out to be
                    a pretty big iceberg.