Out of the Silent Planet described

  • Oberhelman, D
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2006
      I was looking around abebooks.com and dreaming, and came across this description of Out of the Silent Planet from Adrian Harrington's Books in London (they have an amazing selection of first edition Inklings and sci fi/fantasy up through original UK Harry Potter illustration artwork for sale--I want to live there!). I admit I love this description of Lewis's novel! :)

      Out of The Silent Planet.
      LEWIS, C. S.
      Bookseller: Adrian Harrington Rare Books, ABA ILAB
      (London, ., United Kingdom) Price: US$ 1155.69
      [Convert Currency] Shipping within United Kingdom:
      US$ 8.63
      [Rates & Speeds]
      Book Description: The Bodley Head, London. 1938, 1938. FIRST EDITION. 8vo. 264pp. + 4pp ads. A very good copy with a little spotting to edges, some slight scuffing to the extremities. Tight and clean. Lewis's milestone science fiction novel begins when our hillwalking hero comes across two evil academics trying to stuff a small boy into a cupboard, forced to abandon the 'co-ercing a child plan' they fall back on a Plan B of drugging our hero with whisky and soda, whereupon he wakes up on a spaceship of dubious technological reliability where he is coerced into spending a lot of time wandering around naked except for "a little metal girdle hung with enormous weights", when he complains of such treatment he is only told "You will get used to it." Next to this, crawling around other people's wardrobes and talking to beavers seems positively normal in comparison. Bookseller Inventory # 25890

      David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor
      Humanities-Social Sciences Division
      Oklahoma State University Library
      Stillwater, OK 74078
      Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
      Email: d.oberhelman@...