Re: [mythsoc] Joseph Pearce

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 6 1:47 PM
      Definitely worth seeing; he's the chief advocate of the Tolkien-as-
      Catholic-writer subschool of Tolkien studies, bringing a spotlight on
      an aspect of Tolkien's thought that was rather skimped on before his
      collection TOLKIEN: A CELEBRATION and book TOLKIEN: MAN AND MYTH
      (which starts with a lively account of Tolkien winning that best book
      poll and the outcry that followed). He's also written on C. S. Lewis
      and G. K. Chesterton and Oscar Wilde, as well as less savory
      characters such as Roy Campbell; wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't
      do a book on Waugh someday. Be warned though that he doesn't let
      inconvenient facts get in the way of his arguments and his tolerance
      of contrary positions seems to be low.
      Which reminds me: haven't seen his new(ish) book LITERARY GIANTS,
      LITERARY CATHOLICS, which apparently covers not just Tolkien and
      Campbell but Lewis (not Catholic) and Owen Barfield (Christian but
      extremely heterodox), among others. Is it a sort of "greatest hits"
      collection like LITERARY CONVERTS (which included the actor Alex
      Guinness among the "Catholic Writers" he covered) or a new work with
      a new focus? Does he have anything interesting to say about Tolkien
      & the Inklings therein?
      At any rate, I'd definitely go if I were in the area. If you do
      make it, can you post a report of the event?
      --John R.