Re: [mythsoc] Joseph Pearce

  • Walter Padgett
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 4, 2006
      Yeah, I would definately go see him. He wrote =Tolkien: Man and Myth= which
      is a great book.

      On 3/4/06, Matt Williams <mrw1@...> wrote:

      > Joseph Pearce is speaking on Tolkien on Wed. at UNK. What does everyone
      > think of him? Worth seeing?
      >
      > Matt Williams

    • Jay Hershberger
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 5, 2006
        Matt,

        Joseph Pearce came to Fargo-Moorhead and spoke at North Dakota State
        University and at Shanley Catholic High School. He also met with the
        Fargo-Moorhead GK Chesterton Society for dinner and my wife and I had
        the pleasure of dining with him. He is currently a fellow in literature
        at Ave Maria University in Naples, FL, and is editor of the Saint Austin
        Review, which is a conservative Roman Catholic cultural and literary
        journal.

        Pearce refers to himself as a cultural apologist for the traditional
        idea of Christendom, which immediately places him at odds with a lot of
        scholars.

        As to his work on Tolkien, he probably doesn't have anything
        particularly new to say. He interprets Tolkien through the lens of
        conservative British Catholicism, as Tolkien himself practiced. He has
        also written about other British literary figures such as Chesterton,
        Lewis, and Hilaire Belloc. I believe he also wrote a biography on
        Solzhenitsyn. Pearce has a specific point of view: traditional
        Catholicism, and he is very open about it. On a personal level he is
        winsome and gentlemanly, and tolerated this Anglican's questions with
        patience and courtesy.

        He is a lively speaker. By all means, attend his lecture.

        Cheers,

        Jay Hershberger
        Moorhead, MN

        Yeah, I would definately go see him. He wrote =Tolkien: Man and Myth=
        which
        is a great book.

        On 3/4/06, Matt Williams <mrw1@...> wrote:

        > Joseph Pearce is speaking on Tolkien on Wed. at UNK. What does
        everyone
        > think of him? Worth seeing?
        >
        > Matt Williams

        Writing
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Wri
        ting+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fi
        ction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLycc
        icIbmLvw> book
        Writing
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=W
        riting+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+
        fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYx
        hLh9xKmaZA> a book
        Writing
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&
        w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Scie
        nce+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsy
        Q7cty1c0_Mdmcw> child book

        Book
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+bo
        ok&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=S
        cience+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXz
        OVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA> writing software
        Science
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writ
        ing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+softwar
        e&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig
        =XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ> fiction and fantasy
        Writing
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+bo
        ok&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=S
        cience+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7b
        RwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ> a book report

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "mythsoc
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc> " on the web.

        _____

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 5, 2006
          Matt,
          Jay's take on JP is pretty accurate. He is indeed a lively speaker. As
          a Tolkien scholar who's also a cradle Catholic, I've written and
          lectured on JRRT's faith a time or six.

          That being said, I find JP's Catholic take on JRRT too Procrustean, too
          constraining, and too conservative: almost every one of JRRT's works
          ends with a revolution. Certainly JRRT's work have that element
          subsumed, but too narrow a focus reminds one of Aesop's blind man, who
          was sure that an elephant was very much like a rope.

          I said as much in a review of his book for -Faith & Reason-.

          Ave Maria is indeed very conservative, a university built by pizza.
          Makes my old school Marquette look like Arizona State.

          That being said, go see him. He's certainly fun to listen to and fences
          well with questioners. After the event, if you can spirit him off to
          some place with wine and [best case] Stilton cheese & lots of it, he'll
          be good company.

          Mike

        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 6, 2006
            Definitely worth seeing; he's the chief advocate of the Tolkien-as-
            Catholic-writer subschool of Tolkien studies, bringing a spotlight on
            an aspect of Tolkien's thought that was rather skimped on before his
            collection TOLKIEN: A CELEBRATION and book TOLKIEN: MAN AND MYTH
            (which starts with a lively account of Tolkien winning that best book
            poll and the outcry that followed). He's also written on C. S. Lewis
            and G. K. Chesterton and Oscar Wilde, as well as less savory
            characters such as Roy Campbell; wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't
            do a book on Waugh someday. Be warned though that he doesn't let
            inconvenient facts get in the way of his arguments and his tolerance
            of contrary positions seems to be low.
            Which reminds me: haven't seen his new(ish) book LITERARY GIANTS,
            LITERARY CATHOLICS, which apparently covers not just Tolkien and
            Campbell but Lewis (not Catholic) and Owen Barfield (Christian but
            extremely heterodox), among others. Is it a sort of "greatest hits"
            collection like LITERARY CONVERTS (which included the actor Alex
            Guinness among the "Catholic Writers" he covered) or a new work with
            a new focus? Does he have anything interesting to say about Tolkien
            & the Inklings therein?
            At any rate, I'd definitely go if I were in the area. If you do
            make it, can you post a report of the event?
            --John R.