Joseph Pearce

  • Matt Williams
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 4, 2006
      Howdy:

      We recently moved to Kearney, NE where I am library director and discovered that there are 2 other Mythopoeic Society members here. Anyway, Joseph Pearce is speaking on Tolkien on Wed. at UNK. What does everyone think of him? Worth seeing?

      Matt Williams

    • Walter Padgett
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 4, 2006
        Yeah, I would definately go see him. He wrote =Tolkien: Man and Myth= which
        is a great book.

        On 3/4/06, Matt Williams <mrw1@...> wrote:

        > Joseph Pearce is speaking on Tolkien on Wed. at UNK. What does everyone
        > think of him? Worth seeing?
        >
        > Matt Williams

      • Jay Hershberger
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 5, 2006
          Matt,

          Joseph Pearce came to Fargo-Moorhead and spoke at North Dakota State
          University and at Shanley Catholic High School. He also met with the
          Fargo-Moorhead GK Chesterton Society for dinner and my wife and I had
          the pleasure of dining with him. He is currently a fellow in literature
          at Ave Maria University in Naples, FL, and is editor of the Saint Austin
          Review, which is a conservative Roman Catholic cultural and literary
          journal.

          Pearce refers to himself as a cultural apologist for the traditional
          idea of Christendom, which immediately places him at odds with a lot of
          scholars.

          As to his work on Tolkien, he probably doesn't have anything
          particularly new to say. He interprets Tolkien through the lens of
          conservative British Catholicism, as Tolkien himself practiced. He has
          also written about other British literary figures such as Chesterton,
          Lewis, and Hilaire Belloc. I believe he also wrote a biography on
          Solzhenitsyn. Pearce has a specific point of view: traditional
          Catholicism, and he is very open about it. On a personal level he is
          winsome and gentlemanly, and tolerated this Anglican's questions with
          patience and courtesy.

          He is a lively speaker. By all means, attend his lecture.

          Cheers,

          Jay Hershberger
          Moorhead, MN

          Yeah, I would definately go see him. He wrote =Tolkien: Man and Myth=
          which
          is a great book.

          On 3/4/06, Matt Williams <mrw1@...> wrote:

          > Joseph Pearce is speaking on Tolkien on Wed. at UNK. What does
          everyone
          > think of him? Worth seeing?
          >
          > Matt Williams

          Writing
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Wri
          ting+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fi
          ction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLycc
          icIbmLvw> book
          Writing
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=W
          riting+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+
          fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYx
          hLh9xKmaZA> a book
          Writing
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&
          w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Scie
          nce+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsy
          Q7cty1c0_Mdmcw> child book

          Book
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+bo
          ok&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=S
          cience+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXz
          OVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA> writing software
          Science
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writ
          ing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+softwar
          e&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig
          =XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ> fiction and fantasy
          Writing
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+bo
          ok&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=S
          cience+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7b
          RwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ> a book report

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "mythsoc
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc> " on the web.

          _____

        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 5, 2006
            Matt,
            Jay's take on JP is pretty accurate. He is indeed a lively speaker. As
            a Tolkien scholar who's also a cradle Catholic, I've written and
            lectured on JRRT's faith a time or six.

            That being said, I find JP's Catholic take on JRRT too Procrustean, too
            constraining, and too conservative: almost every one of JRRT's works
            ends with a revolution. Certainly JRRT's work have that element
            subsumed, but too narrow a focus reminds one of Aesop's blind man, who
            was sure that an elephant was very much like a rope.

            I said as much in a review of his book for -Faith & Reason-.

            Ave Maria is indeed very conservative, a university built by pizza.
            Makes my old school Marquette look like Arizona State.

            That being said, go see him. He's certainly fun to listen to and fences
            well with questioners. After the event, if you can spirit him off to
            some place with wine and [best case] Stilton cheese & lots of it, he'll
            be good company.

            Mike

          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 6, 2006
              Definitely worth seeing; he's the chief advocate of the Tolkien-as-
              Catholic-writer subschool of Tolkien studies, bringing a spotlight on
              an aspect of Tolkien's thought that was rather skimped on before his
              collection TOLKIEN: A CELEBRATION and book TOLKIEN: MAN AND MYTH
              (which starts with a lively account of Tolkien winning that best book
              poll and the outcry that followed). He's also written on C. S. Lewis
              and G. K. Chesterton and Oscar Wilde, as well as less savory
              characters such as Roy Campbell; wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't
              do a book on Waugh someday. Be warned though that he doesn't let
              inconvenient facts get in the way of his arguments and his tolerance
              of contrary positions seems to be low.
              Which reminds me: haven't seen his new(ish) book LITERARY GIANTS,
              LITERARY CATHOLICS, which apparently covers not just Tolkien and
              Campbell but Lewis (not Catholic) and Owen Barfield (Christian but
              extremely heterodox), among others. Is it a sort of "greatest hits"
              collection like LITERARY CONVERTS (which included the actor Alex
              Guinness among the "Catholic Writers" he covered) or a new work with
              a new focus? Does he have anything interesting to say about Tolkien
              & the Inklings therein?
              At any rate, I'd definitely go if I were in the area. If you do
              make it, can you post a report of the event?
              --John R.