Discussion Groups in So. Cal (and elsewhere)

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
      I was discussion group secretary for about 10 years, before Matt
      Winslow in Seattle (who just stepped down, recently). he might know
      more--I understand that Marion Van Loo is adding this portfolio to
      Membership, so she's the contact person for DGs, now. But my
      recollection is that both Cair Paravel and Desolation were both
      long-dormant or dead by the time I took over in the mid-80s. There was
      a different San Diego group for a time, and I think that the main
      contact person for that group (a more latter-day "Lothlorien," but not
      the one that had been active in LA, and the original MythSoc group) is
      still listed somewhere in the Society records as potentially interested
      in a San Diego revival (she and her group put on the San Diego Mythcon
      back in the 80s or early 90s). I think there had been several
      inquiries in the 80s and 90s from San Diego, too. I don't know
      anything about Desolation, but of course there's a perfectly fine group
      in the LA area, Mydgard, which has met pretty much continuously, as far
      as I know, since the Society started, back in '67 or so. Also,
      recently, some of the old members of ??Lothlorien, version 1, or some
      of the other LA groups have also met in some form of reunions, with
      talk of more regular meetings--I have that report indirectly from a
      member of the Society special interest group, Once Upon a Time, an apa,
      where one of those ancient LA group members still contributes every
      other month or so, and he mentioned the reunion meetings that he's been
      unable to attend because of conflicts. LA is so big that there's
      certainly room for more than one group--and there are probably more
      former discussion group members around than anywhere else (so someone
      or three might be lured back to a convenient or amenable group).

      For a time, Glen GoodKnight also ran a group, though I'd guess that's
      been defunct for many years, now. (I mean in later years, 1980s or
      90s, long after he ran multiple groups simultaneously, back in the
      60s). But he gafiated from the Society, and I'm not sure what he's up
      to, now. I think he also organized a few annual or semi-annual
      regional get-togethers, on the order of the Spring Picnics or
      whatever....

      Bonnie Callahan often contributes here, she might be a person who could
      make suggestions for contacting people in the Society or former Society
      members who might be lured to a discussion, if you'd like to try to
      start up another. Certainly you could announce things here, and I'm
      sure that Ellie would list proposed or prospective groups in
      _Mythprint_. You could also look in _Mything Persons_ for local
      members, though unfortunately the current organization is more
      difficult to use for that purpose. (Perhaps Marion could print out or
      email you a list sorted by your nearby area or zip codes. That's the
      kind of thing I used to do--when I had access to the database, back in
      the days when Lynne Maudlin was Membership secretary. Lynne's another
      person in the LA area who might have some ideas about people in your
      area, if you're in southern CA). Good luck.

      Oh, I have some ancient pages on the web devoted to discussion group
      organizing, which I haven't updated in many years:
      http://www.tc.umn.edu/~d-lena/Hermits'Pool.html

      I think you can find some of the things I used to send out to people,
      there.

      On Mar 3, 2006, at 2:25 PM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 06:55:07 -0700
      > From: "J. Kriss White" <jkrissw@...>
      > Subject: someone from the past
      >
      > I've just rejoined, after drifting away from Mythopoeic in the
      > mid-'80s,
      > when my involvement in the SCA started getting very time-intensive for
      > quite a while. I'm hoping to go to Mythcon 37 in Okalahoma. (I
      > attended
      > the Mythcons in '82 and '84 in southern California.)
      >
      > Can anyone tell me what happened to the southern California discussion
      > groups Cair Paravel (San Diego) and The Desolation of Smaug (L.A.)? I
      > didn't see them listed on the web site.
      David Lenander
      d-lena@... or david_lenander@...
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113
      651-292-8887 or 651-697-1807
    • J. Kriss White
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
        Thanks for the info. I'm not in southern California anymore. I'm teaching
        middle school Social Studies in Crownpoint, NM, on the eastern edge of the
        Big (Navajo) Rez. I somehow doubt there'd be much interest out here. :-)

        At 05:07 PM 3/3/2006, you wrote:

        >... if you'd like to try to
        >start up another.

        J. Kriss White
        505-786-5546
      • Bonnie Callahan
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2006
          Hi David:

          I'm working thu a backlog that piled up during an
          incommunicado spell my computer suffered. I sent
          a short E-mail to J. Kriss as soon as I got back
          online, shared my bit of data, same as yours
          essentially.

          For all of you who don't know, Glen has a WEBSITE!
          It's called "Inklings Focus" and his first completed
          section is all about foreign language translations of
          Narnia. Drop in, drop him a line.

          http://www.inklingsfocus.com/

          Bonnie