someone from the past

  • J. Kriss White
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
      I've just rejoined, after drifting away from Mythopoeic in the mid-'80s,
      when my involvement in the SCA started getting very time-intensive for
      quite a while. I'm hoping to go to Mythcon 37 in Okalahoma. (I attended
      the Mythcons in '82 and '84 in southern California.)

      Can anyone tell me what happened to the southern California discussion
      groups Cair Paravel (San Diego) and The Desolation of Smaug (L.A.)? I
      didn't see them listed on the web site.

      Also - there was a lady... I'm guessing she'd be 40s-ish now - I'm not even
      sure I'm recalling her name correctly - Margaret Purdy or something like
      that, who was head of a discussion group back east (New
      Jersey? Philadelphia?). She used to come to the Mythcons in California,
      and we corresponded for a while. I know this was awfully vague
      information, but does anyone recall who I'm speaking of and know if she's
      still in Mythsoc?

      >----------
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
        "J. Kriss White" wrote:

        > Also - there was a lady... I'm guessing she'd be 40s-ish now - I'm not
        > even sure I'm recalling her name correctly - Margaret Purdy or something
        > like that, who was head of a discussion group back east (New Jersey?
        > Philadelphia?). She used to come to the Mythcons in California,
        > and we corresponded for a while. I know this was awfully vague
        > information, but does anyone recall who I'm speaking of and know if
        > she's still in Mythsoc?

        Yes, I'm still here. :) I don't run Romenna anymore (the New
        York City/New Jersey area discussion group), mainly because I
        married, changed my name to Dean, and moved to Maryland. (Also
        because the group had made it once through The Silmarillion, The
        Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings, and I don't think we felt up
        to tackling the History of Middle-earth at that point.)

        I'm still living in Maryland, in the little old town of Port
        Deposit near the mouth of the Susquehanna, with husband Rob and
        two sons, Norman and William. Norman just turned sixteen, and
        William is twelve. And yeah, I'll be hitting the big five-O in
        August of this year.

        Good to hear from you! I'm afraid I remember you only vaguely,
        mostly the name. Were you getting Romenna reports for a while?

        Anyway, yes, I'm still a member (I think? I may need to renew my
        actual membership, though I know I'm subscribed to Mythlore) and
        a listmember here. Welcome back!

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • J. Kriss White
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
          Wow! Hi Margaret! I'll email you off-list later. I'm on my all-too-brief
          lunch break now, from teaching Social Studies to Navajo 6th & 7th graders
          at Crownpoint Middle School in New Mexico. Yes, that's quite a career
          change from when we knew each other back then. I'll fill you in more later.

          At 08:50 AM 3/3/2006, you wrote:
          >Yes, I'm still here. :) I don't run Romenna anymore
        • Bonnie Callahan
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
            Hi J.Kriss:

            I used to be Mrs. GoodKnight. I'm glad you're joining
            in again. Hope we can meet in Norman.

            the Cair Paravel & Smaug groups attritted
            away,(leaving individual members still in touch)
            but we still have the Mydgard bunch (small) who
            meet in Pasadena/Alhambra, Ca. every month. I'm
            presently doing casual liasioning between local
            Mythsoc folk and neo fans in 'Tolkien Forever'. We
            have some delightful activities. The latter are
            developing quite an interest in SCA/Renfair
            activities.

            if you'ld like to reply, feel free.

            best, Bonnie Callahan