Gathering of the Fellowship 2006

  • Anthony and Jessica
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
      Greetings :

      It is our hope that this finds you well. As you may know Mike Foster,
      Carl Hostetter, Verlyn Flieger, Jef Murray, Mike Drout, Arden Smith,
      Ted Nasmith--to name a few are all guests of honor at July's Gathering
      of the Fellowship event in Toronto, who are well honored amongst the
      GOTF staff. We also would like to bring to your attention the latest
      programming and guest announcements, which focuses on Tolkien, Lewis
      and the subsequent academia, music, art, and films inspired by their work.
      The programming and guests can be found here:
      http://www.gatheringofthefellowship.com/convention/programming/index.html

      We also would like to inform you of the various discounts and group
      rates we have available for Myth/Soc Tolkien Society members.
      Found here:
      http://www.gatheringofthefellowship.com/convention/registration.html

      It is our hope you can all join us for this momentous occasion,

      Best to all
      Anthony and Jessica
      North East Tolkien Society Chairs
      VP Gathering Programming Directors
    • J. Kriss White
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
        I've just rejoined, after drifting away from Mythopoeic in the mid-'80s,
        when my involvement in the SCA started getting very time-intensive for
        quite a while. I'm hoping to go to Mythcon 37 in Okalahoma. (I attended
        the Mythcons in '82 and '84 in southern California.)

        Can anyone tell me what happened to the southern California discussion
        groups Cair Paravel (San Diego) and The Desolation of Smaug (L.A.)? I
        didn't see them listed on the web site.

        Also - there was a lady... I'm guessing she'd be 40s-ish now - I'm not even
        sure I'm recalling her name correctly - Margaret Purdy or something like
        that, who was head of a discussion group back east (New
        Jersey? Philadelphia?). She used to come to the Mythcons in California,
        and we corresponded for a while. I know this was awfully vague
        information, but does anyone recall who I'm speaking of and know if she's
        still in Mythsoc?

        >----------
      • Margaret Dean
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
          "J. Kriss White" wrote:

          > Also - there was a lady... I'm guessing she'd be 40s-ish now - I'm not
          > even sure I'm recalling her name correctly - Margaret Purdy or something
          > like that, who was head of a discussion group back east (New Jersey?
          > Philadelphia?). She used to come to the Mythcons in California,
          > and we corresponded for a while. I know this was awfully vague
          > information, but does anyone recall who I'm speaking of and know if
          > she's still in Mythsoc?

          Yes, I'm still here. :) I don't run Romenna anymore (the New
          York City/New Jersey area discussion group), mainly because I
          married, changed my name to Dean, and moved to Maryland. (Also
          because the group had made it once through The Silmarillion, The
          Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings, and I don't think we felt up
          to tackling the History of Middle-earth at that point.)

          I'm still living in Maryland, in the little old town of Port
          Deposit near the mouth of the Susquehanna, with husband Rob and
          two sons, Norman and William. Norman just turned sixteen, and
          William is twelve. And yeah, I'll be hitting the big five-O in
          August of this year.

          Good to hear from you! I'm afraid I remember you only vaguely,
          mostly the name. Were you getting Romenna reports for a while?

          Anyway, yes, I'm still a member (I think? I may need to renew my
          actual membership, though I know I'm subscribed to Mythlore) and
          a listmember here. Welcome back!

          --Margaret Dean
          <margdean@...>
        • J. Kriss White
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
            Wow! Hi Margaret! I'll email you off-list later. I'm on my all-too-brief
            lunch break now, from teaching Social Studies to Navajo 6th & 7th graders
            at Crownpoint Middle School in New Mexico. Yes, that's quite a career
            change from when we knew each other back then. I'll fill you in more later.

            At 08:50 AM 3/3/2006, you wrote:
            >Yes, I'm still here. :) I don't run Romenna anymore
          • Bonnie Callahan
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
              Hi J.Kriss:

              I used to be Mrs. GoodKnight. I'm glad you're joining
              in again. Hope we can meet in Norman.

              the Cair Paravel & Smaug groups attritted
              away,(leaving individual members still in touch)
              but we still have the Mydgard bunch (small) who
              meet in Pasadena/Alhambra, Ca. every month. I'm
              presently doing casual liasioning between local
              Mythsoc folk and neo fans in 'Tolkien Forever'. We
              have some delightful activities. The latter are
              developing quite an interest in SCA/Renfair
              activities.

              if you'ld like to reply, feel free.

              best, Bonnie Callahan