Re: More on Elwins, was: [mythsoc] Inklings quasi-sighting in UK politics

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 11:15 AM
      From: Lezlie <lezlie1@...>
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:06:52 -0000
      Subject: Re: More on Elwins, was: [mythsoc] Inklings quasi-sighting in UK politics

      > No, it's the feminine form of the word "white" (the masculine form
      is _(g)wyn_), which is often a part of personal names (it means
      "blessed" or "fortunate" as well as "white"). You're thinking of
      _morwen_ "maid".
      > Alexei

      Ah--yes... it's -- ever so slowly -- coming back to me. Curious: How
      does Guinevere become "white shadow"? Thanks, Lezlie

      <<
      "Guinevere" is _Gwenhwyfar_: _gwen_ "white" (feminine, with original 'g' unlenited) + _hwyfar_ an otherwise unattested word that is nevertheless obviously s cognate of Irish _siabhra_ "apparition, phantom, fairy being".
      I had a typo in my earlier post: "maiden" is _morwyn_ (from an earlier *_morigna_). _Morwen_ is actually a personal name, meaning "sea-white".
      Alexei

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3 8:02 AM
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, alexeik@... wrote:

        > Ah--yes... it's -- ever so slowly -- coming back to me. Curious: How
        > does Guinevere become "white shadow"? Thanks, Lezlie
        >
        > <<
        > "Guinevere" is _Gwenhwyfar_: _gwen_ "white" (feminine, with original
        'g' unlenited) + _hwyfar_ an otherwise unattested word that is
        nevertheless obviously s cognate of Irish _siabhra_ "apparition,
        phantom, fairy being".
        > I had a typo in my earlier post: "maiden" is _morwyn_ (from an
        earlier *_morigna_). _Morwen_ is actually a personal name, meaning
        "sea-white".
        > Alexei

        Thanks-- very useful. Lezlie