Re: More on Elwins, was: [mythsoc] Inklings quasi-sighting in UK politics

  • Lezlie
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006

      > And, one more: Isn't "wen" (old) Welsh for "maid"? As in Branwen or
      > Olwen the Whitefooted? Believe I learned that when taking Welsh
      > lessons back in the '70's as a part of a Celtic myth & folklore course
      > at Harvard---
      >

      > No, it's the feminine form of the word "white" (the masculine form
      is _(g)wyn_), which is often a part of personal names (it means
      "blessed" or "fortunate" as well as "white"). You're thinking of
      _morwen_ "maid".
      > Alexei

      Ah--yes... it's -- ever so slowly -- coming back to me. Curious: How
      does Guinevere become "white shadow"? Thanks, Lezlie
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
        > No, it's the feminine form of the word "white" (the masculine form
        is _(g)wyn_), which is often a part of personal names (it means
        "blessed" or "fortunate" as well as "white"). You're thinking of
        _morwen_ "maid".
        > Alexei

        Ah--yes... it's -- ever so slowly -- coming back to me. Curious: How
        does Guinevere become "white shadow"? Thanks, Lezlie

        <<
        "Guinevere" is _Gwenhwyfar_: _gwen_ "white" (feminine, with original 'g' unlenited) + _hwyfar_ an otherwise unattested word that is nevertheless obviously s cognate of Irish _siabhra_ "apparition, phantom, fairy being".
        I had a typo in my earlier post: "maiden" is _morwyn_ (from an earlier *_morigna_). _Morwen_ is actually a personal name, meaning "sea-white".
        Alexei

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Lezlie
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, alexeik@... wrote:

          > Ah--yes... it's -- ever so slowly -- coming back to me. Curious: How
          > does Guinevere become "white shadow"? Thanks, Lezlie
          >
          > <<
          > "Guinevere" is _Gwenhwyfar_: _gwen_ "white" (feminine, with original
          'g' unlenited) + _hwyfar_ an otherwise unattested word that is
          nevertheless obviously s cognate of Irish _siabhra_ "apparition,
          phantom, fairy being".
          > I had a typo in my earlier post: "maiden" is _morwyn_ (from an
          earlier *_morigna_). _Morwen_ is actually a personal name, meaning
          "sea-white".
          > Alexei

          Thanks-- very useful. Lezlie