Re: More on Elwins, was: [mythsoc] Inklings quasi-sighting in UK politics

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2006
      From: Lezlie <lezlie1@...>
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:38:31 -0000
      Subject: Re: More on Elwins, was: [mythsoc] Inklings quasi-sighting in UK politics

      -

      > "Companion of St. Breaca from Ireland to Cornwall, England, also called
      > Elvis
      > or Allen."
      >
      > =Elvis!=
      >
      > Diamond Proudbrook

      And, one more: Isn't "wen" (old) Welsh for "maid"? As in Branwen or
      Olwen the Whitefooted? Believe I learned that when taking Welsh
      lessons back in the '70's as a part of a Celtic myth & folklore course
      at Harvard---

      No, it's the feminine form of the word "white" (the masculine form is _(g)wyn_), which is often a part of personal names (it means "blessed" or "fortunate" as well as "white"). You're thinking of _morwen_ "maid".
      Alexei

    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006

        > And, one more: Isn't "wen" (old) Welsh for "maid"? As in Branwen or
        > Olwen the Whitefooted? Believe I learned that when taking Welsh
        > lessons back in the '70's as a part of a Celtic myth & folklore course
        > at Harvard---
        >

        > No, it's the feminine form of the word "white" (the masculine form
        is _(g)wyn_), which is often a part of personal names (it means
        "blessed" or "fortunate" as well as "white"). You're thinking of
        _morwen_ "maid".
        > Alexei

        Ah--yes... it's -- ever so slowly -- coming back to me. Curious: How
        does Guinevere become "white shadow"? Thanks, Lezlie
      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
          > No, it's the feminine form of the word "white" (the masculine form
          is _(g)wyn_), which is often a part of personal names (it means
          "blessed" or "fortunate" as well as "white"). You're thinking of
          _morwen_ "maid".
          > Alexei

          Ah--yes... it's -- ever so slowly -- coming back to me. Curious: How
          does Guinevere become "white shadow"? Thanks, Lezlie

          <<
          "Guinevere" is _Gwenhwyfar_: _gwen_ "white" (feminine, with original 'g' unlenited) + _hwyfar_ an otherwise unattested word that is nevertheless obviously s cognate of Irish _siabhra_ "apparition, phantom, fairy being".
          I had a typo in my earlier post: "maiden" is _morwyn_ (from an earlier *_morigna_). _Morwen_ is actually a personal name, meaning "sea-white".
          Alexei

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Lezlie
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, alexeik@... wrote:

            > Ah--yes... it's -- ever so slowly -- coming back to me. Curious: How
            > does Guinevere become "white shadow"? Thanks, Lezlie
            >
            > <<
            > "Guinevere" is _Gwenhwyfar_: _gwen_ "white" (feminine, with original
            'g' unlenited) + _hwyfar_ an otherwise unattested word that is
            nevertheless obviously s cognate of Irish _siabhra_ "apparition,
            phantom, fairy being".
            > I had a typo in my earlier post: "maiden" is _morwyn_ (from an
            earlier *_morigna_). _Morwen_ is actually a personal name, meaning
            "sea-white".
            > Alexei

            Thanks-- very useful. Lezlie