Re: [mythsoc] Query on Lewis book

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18, 2006
      For what it's worth, the earlier volumes of the Complete C.S. Lewis Letters also had their publication repeatedly delayed. The reason, surely, has been that preparing these editions has taken longer than was originally thought. At any rate I haven't been surprised at the fact that this one has also been repeatedly delayed.

      Be aware, anyone who uses these editions, that there are letters which were in earlier Lewis letters collections removed or redated in this one, and that if you check the original letters in the Wade Collection you'll find that the transcriptions are not always accurate, sometimes when previous transcriptions are more accurate.

      David Bratman
    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2006
        On 2/18/06, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
        > Be aware, anyone who uses these editions, that there are letters which were in earlier Lewis letters collections removed or redated in this one, and that if you check the original letters in the Wade Collection you'll find that the transcriptions are not always accurate, sometimes when previous transcriptions are more accurate.

        David,

        Has anyone written any article(s) on this problem yet? Or is it still
        at the point that scholars are aware of the problem, but no one has
        yet to write anything? (I ask because I'd like to have that
        information at hand when reading the volumes. Having some of John
        Rateliffe's comments on Jacobs' *The Narnian* has been very helpful
        when discussing the book with friends who aren't too familiar with
        Lewis, other than a passing familiarity with Narnia and perhaps Mere
        Christianity.)

        --
        Matthew Winslow
        mwinslow@...

        Currently Reading: An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears