Re: Query on Lewis book

  • Adam Linton
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2006
      I wrote HarperCollins and asked. I was informed that it will go on
      sale this coming October 24 (2006). I heard, as well, from another
      source, second-hand, that the delay is related to the fact that
      additional materials from Lewis' correspondance during this period
      were still being collected.

      Regards.

      Adam Linton

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Rebecca Gold <quicksilver_rose@...>
      wrote:

      > Alas, no, for my part. If I still worked at a little independent
      bookstore, I
      > would have the means to find out, but as I, at present, do not, I
      don't think
      > Ingram would appreciate a pestering phone call from me. Anybody
      else have any
      > ideas?
      >
      > ~Rebecca (a newbie)
      >

      > --- Edith.Crowe@... wrote:
      >
      > > Query received as Corresponding Secretary--anyone know the
      answer?

      > > I'm trying to find out any news of the reason for the delayed
      release of
      > > vol. 3 of THE COLLECTED LETTERS OF C.S. LEWIS. More
      importantly, have you
      > > heard anything of WHEN this final volume will be released?
      Thanks so

      (http://www.mythsoc.org)

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2006
        For what it's worth, the earlier volumes of the Complete C.S. Lewis Letters also had their publication repeatedly delayed. The reason, surely, has been that preparing these editions has taken longer than was originally thought. At any rate I haven't been surprised at the fact that this one has also been repeatedly delayed.

        Be aware, anyone who uses these editions, that there are letters which were in earlier Lewis letters collections removed or redated in this one, and that if you check the original letters in the Wade Collection you'll find that the transcriptions are not always accurate, sometimes when previous transcriptions are more accurate.

        David Bratman
      • Matthew Winslow
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2006
          On 2/18/06, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
          > Be aware, anyone who uses these editions, that there are letters which were in earlier Lewis letters collections removed or redated in this one, and that if you check the original letters in the Wade Collection you'll find that the transcriptions are not always accurate, sometimes when previous transcriptions are more accurate.

          David,

          Has anyone written any article(s) on this problem yet? Or is it still
          at the point that scholars are aware of the problem, but no one has
          yet to write anything? (I ask because I'd like to have that
          information at hand when reading the volumes. Having some of John
          Rateliffe's comments on Jacobs' *The Narnian* has been very helpful
          when discussing the book with friends who aren't too familiar with
          Lewis, other than a passing familiarity with Narnia and perhaps Mere
          Christianity.)

          --
          Matthew Winslow
          mwinslow@...

          Currently Reading: An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears