Re: [mythsoc] Query on Lewis book

  • Rebecca Gold
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2006
      Alas, no, for my part. If I still worked at a little independent bookstore, I
      would have the means to find out, but as I, at present, do not, I don't think
      Ingram would appreciate a pestering phone call from me. Anybody else have any
      ideas?

      ~Rebecca (a newbie)

      --- Edith.Crowe@... wrote:

      > Query received as Corresponding Secretary--anyone know the answer?
      >
      > I'm trying to find out any news of the reason for the delayed release of
      > vol. 3 of THE COLLECTED LETTERS OF C.S. LEWIS. More importantly, have you
      > heard anything of WHEN this final volume will be released? Thanks so
      > much.
      > CARY STOCKETT
      >
      > Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...
      > Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Adam Linton
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2006
        I wrote HarperCollins and asked. I was informed that it will go on
        sale this coming October 24 (2006). I heard, as well, from another
        source, second-hand, that the delay is related to the fact that
        additional materials from Lewis' correspondance during this period
        were still being collected.

        Regards.

        Adam Linton

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Rebecca Gold <quicksilver_rose@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2006
          For what it's worth, the earlier volumes of the Complete C.S. Lewis Letters also had their publication repeatedly delayed. The reason, surely, has been that preparing these editions has taken longer than was originally thought. At any rate I haven't been surprised at the fact that this one has also been repeatedly delayed.

          Be aware, anyone who uses these editions, that there are letters which were in earlier Lewis letters collections removed or redated in this one, and that if you check the original letters in the Wade Collection you'll find that the transcriptions are not always accurate, sometimes when previous transcriptions are more accurate.

          David Bratman
        • Matthew Winslow
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18, 2006
            On 2/18/06, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
            > Be aware, anyone who uses these editions, that there are letters which were in earlier Lewis letters collections removed or redated in this one, and that if you check the original letters in the Wade Collection you'll find that the transcriptions are not always accurate, sometimes when previous transcriptions are more accurate.

            David,

            Has anyone written any article(s) on this problem yet? Or is it still
            at the point that scholars are aware of the problem, but no one has
            yet to write anything? (I ask because I'd like to have that
            information at hand when reading the volumes. Having some of John
            Rateliffe's comments on Jacobs' *The Narnian* has been very helpful
            when discussing the book with friends who aren't too familiar with
            Lewis, other than a passing familiarity with Narnia and perhaps Mere
            Christianity.)

            --
            Matthew Winslow
            mwinslow@...

            Currently Reading: An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears