Query on Lewis book

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2006
      Query received as Corresponding Secretary--anyone know the answer?

      I'm trying to find out any news of the reason for the delayed release of
      vol. 3 of THE COLLECTED LETTERS OF C.S. LEWIS. More importantly, have you
      heard anything of WHEN this final volume will be released? Thanks so
      much.
      CARY STOCKETT

      Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...
      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)

    • Rebecca Gold
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2006
        Alas, no, for my part. If I still worked at a little independent bookstore, I
        would have the means to find out, but as I, at present, do not, I don't think
        Ingram would appreciate a pestering phone call from me. Anybody else have any
        ideas?

        ~Rebecca (a newbie)

        --- Edith.Crowe@... wrote:

        > Query received as Corresponding Secretary--anyone know the answer?
        >
        > I'm trying to find out any news of the reason for the delayed release of
        > vol. 3 of THE COLLECTED LETTERS OF C.S. LEWIS. More importantly, have you
        > heard anything of WHEN this final volume will be released? Thanks so
        > much.
        > CARY STOCKETT
        >
        > Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...
        > Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Adam Linton
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17, 2006
          I wrote HarperCollins and asked. I was informed that it will go on
          sale this coming October 24 (2006). I heard, as well, from another
          source, second-hand, that the delay is related to the fact that
          additional materials from Lewis' correspondance during this period
          were still being collected.

          Regards.

          Adam Linton

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Rebecca Gold <quicksilver_rose@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18, 2006
            For what it's worth, the earlier volumes of the Complete C.S. Lewis Letters also had their publication repeatedly delayed. The reason, surely, has been that preparing these editions has taken longer than was originally thought. At any rate I haven't been surprised at the fact that this one has also been repeatedly delayed.

            Be aware, anyone who uses these editions, that there are letters which were in earlier Lewis letters collections removed or redated in this one, and that if you check the original letters in the Wade Collection you'll find that the transcriptions are not always accurate, sometimes when previous transcriptions are more accurate.

            David Bratman
          • Matthew Winslow
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 18, 2006
              On 2/18/06, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
              > Be aware, anyone who uses these editions, that there are letters which were in earlier Lewis letters collections removed or redated in this one, and that if you check the original letters in the Wade Collection you'll find that the transcriptions are not always accurate, sometimes when previous transcriptions are more accurate.

              David,

              Has anyone written any article(s) on this problem yet? Or is it still
              at the point that scholars are aware of the problem, but no one has
              yet to write anything? (I ask because I'd like to have that
              information at hand when reading the volumes. Having some of John
              Rateliffe's comments on Jacobs' *The Narnian* has been very helpful
              when discussing the book with friends who aren't too familiar with
              Lewis, other than a passing familiarity with Narnia and perhaps Mere
              Christianity.)

              --
              Matthew Winslow
              mwinslow@...

              Currently Reading: An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears