Re: MFA-Children's nominees

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 14, 2006
      You may recall a recent review in Mythprint of the latest in Diane
      Duane's "So You Want to Be a Wizard" or "Young Wizards" series:
      _Wizards at War_. A few of the past volumes have been worthy MFA
      contenders and/or finalists (and at least one year we missed one that
      ought to have been a contender). From what Nick Smith said in 'print
      (and earlier, in _Once Upon a Time_, the Society apa devoted to
      Children's fantasy), I hope that it is nominated (I haven't read it,
      myself, and I may have a full list of books that I have read). Here
      are a few other titles to think about (deadline is now!) from me and
      Laura Krentz and my daughter, Cat:

      Several books which particularly impressed Laura:
      Gardner, Sally. I, Coriander
      Lanagan, Margo. Black Juice (dark fantasy stories, very unusual)
      Larbalestier, Justine. Magic or Madness (probably, although a sequel is
      coming out this year, so it may be a trilogy)
      Thal, Lilli. Mimus

      Books I haven't read that I think should be nominated:
      Gruber, Michael. Witch’s Boy
      (based upon outstanding reviews, I believe)

      Hale, Shannon. The Princess Academy
      (based upon her excellent previous work, including previous finalist,
      _The Goose Girl_ and its even better sequel)

      Oppel, Kenneth. Skybreaker (alone or with Airborn, its prequel)
      (Airborn was an amazing flight of fantasy back to the age of Buck
      Rogers, & serials of the 30s/40s, though less "fantasy" and more "SF"
      than we usually think of--still, it was a terrific read last year, and
      won several awards. It was also very finely written).

      Other good books Laura read that could be considered:
      Armstrong, Alan. Whittington
      Avi. The Book Without Words: A Fable of Medieval Magic
      Hussey, Charmian. The Valley of Secrets
      McCaughrean, Geraldine. Not the End of the World
      Meyer, Stephenie. Twilight
      Paver, Michelle. Wolf Brother (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #1)
      Pullman, Philip. The Scarecrow and his Servant
      Riordan, Rick. The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1)
      Westerfeld, Scott. Peeps
      Whitcomb, Laura. A Certain Slant of Light
      Zevin, Gabrielle. Elsewhere

      (These last two were both books about characters AFTER death, a new
      trend? (The Lovely Bones).

      Some other books by recent MFA winners & finalists:
      Cat and I read most of these: the Dunkles are outstanding, Jones's
      book is a new Chrestomanci, I understand, Pierce's is a sequel to her
      Magic Circle books, which were finalists a few years back, the
      Bartimaeus books should be on everyone's final list, except that the
      third volume is dated January 2006 (even though most of us were able to
      buy it in December)--we're all curious to know if Ellie will decide it
      qualifies as the trilogy seems destined to be a finalist (at least).
      These are truly thought-provoking and worthy books.
      Dunkle, Clare. By These Ten Bones (stand-alone)
      Dunkle, Clare B. In the Coils of the Snake (Hollow Kingdom #3)
      Jones, Diana Wynne. Conrad’s Fate
      Pierce, Tamora. The Will of the Empress
      Springer, Nancy. Rowan Hood Returns: The Final Chapter (whole series?)
      Stroud, Jonathan. Bartimaeus Trilogy (if it qualifies)
      Vande Velde, Vivian. The Book of Mordred
      Yolen, Jane (w/ Adam Stemple). Pay the Piper: A Rock ‘n’ Roll Fairy Tale

      Also consider:
      Calhoun, Dia. The Phoenix Dance (companion to Aria of the Sea--which
      won the MFA a couple of years back)
      Croggon, Alison. The Naming (Pellinor #1)
      Delaney, Joseph. Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice #1)
      Duane, Diane. Wizards at War (#8 in series) (the one that Nick Smith
      reviewed in _Mythprint_)
      Flanagan, John. The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger’s Apprentice #1)
      Funke, Cornelia. Inkspell (Inkheart #2) (two of her recent books have
      been finalists, I believe)
      Hanley, Victoria. The Light of the Oracle (book #3)
      Horowitz, Anthony. Raven’s Gate (Gatekeepers #1)
      Okorafor-Mbachu, Nnedi. Zahrah the Windseeker

      And don't forget recent Oz books by MythSoc members: Sherwood Smith's
      _The Emerald Wand of Oz_ and Edward Einhorn's _the Living House of Oz_
      (sequel to his interesting _Paradox_).

      On Feb 11, 2006, at 11:53 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

> [...]
      > belief system is somehow more privilaged than that of others'.
      >
      > I also like how Wag respected Wilson's gifts as a writer. I didn't
      > know Wilson was pressured into writing a book he wasn't really
      > inspired to write, and may have found spiritually troublesom to write
      > -- but, for me, that makes sense of the book that resulted.
      >

      > "I think that the book is also an example of a general problem with
      > much
      > critical writing about Lewis, the tendency of both his fans and his
      > detractors to
      > write as if the status of Christianity in the present-day world stood
      > or fell
      > solely on the quality of Lewis's writings.
      >
      > (This made me giggle, too true, silly us.)
      >

      > This causes Lewis's fans
      > overpraise his writings, to read their own views into them, and to
      > assume that
      > Lewis's body of work is a _Summa Theologica_ for the modern world with
      > statements about all essential aspects of Christianity. Something
      > similar happens
      > to detractors of Lewis. Wilson was losing his Christian faith at the
      > time he
      > was writing the biography. He often seems to be attacking Lewis not
      > for
      > Lewis's own virtues and faults but for Wilson's objections to
      > Christianity. I
      > think that this may explain Philip Pullman's "moral insanity" in his
      > wildly
      > overstated objections to _The Chronicles of Narnia_. It's as if he
      > thinks the
      > status of Christianity today depends solely on the popularity of the
      > Narnia
      > books.
      > "
      >
      > Cai

      > _
      > _
      >
      > Message: 5
      > Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 08:09:52 -0800 (PST)
      > From: Cai Cherie <eternityfindsitself@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: An, um, interesting opinion about Lewis
      >
      > Perhaps this shows my isolation from most of America (since I attend a
      > liberal church in a large northeastern city) but I have assumed that
      > this was a hoax and parody -- a funny parody too. I await with baited
      > breath the last chapter and the full addendum on Tolkien. I do think
      > this a joke site.
      >
      > I actually have hopes that the beauty and vitality of Narnia with
      > all its marvellous, mythical creatures will work to Christianize some
      > fundamentalists' awareness of the richness of other spiritual
      > traditions. When children grow up who have danced with fawns and
      > dryads in a living, God-centered world, wouldn't they recognize that
      > same life and God-centeredness in the astounding, glorious nature of
      > our world? If Jesus Christ is the Logos, then cannot the good of
      > others traditions be enjoyed and honored through Him?

      David Lenander
      d-lena@...
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113
      651-292-8887

    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 14, 2006
        How about this one:

        The Bake Shop Ghost

        by Jacqueline K. Ogburn, Marjorie A. Priceman (Illustrator) 2005 "Miss
        Cora Lee Merriweather ran the best bake shop in these parts-maybe even
        in the whole state..."

        This is a wonderful fantasy for children. Would love to nomiate, but I
        am not a fully committed member. <pun is in the eyes of the reader>
        Lezlie

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Eleanor Farrell <emfarrell@...> wrote:

        > Were there no good YA/children's fantasy books published in 2005? So
        > far I have received only one nomination for the 2006 award........ so
        > I guess the committee will have a very light load this year!!
        >
        > Deadline is February 15th for any Society member who would like to
        > nominate books (for any of the award categories), and this deadline
        > is firm so don't dilly-dally!!
        >
        > Ellie
        > --
        > ***********************************
        > Eleanor M. Farrell
        > Mythopoeic Awards Administrator
        > E-mail: emfarrell@...
        > P.O. Box 320486
        > San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
        > MythSoc web site: http://www.mythsoc.org
        >
        > ***********************************

      • Lezlie
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 14, 2006
          Interesting audio from NPR on the this very subject (takes a minute to
          load): http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5039319

          Talk of the Nation, December 5, 2005 · C.S. Lewis wrote that "once
          every hundred years some wiseacre gets up and tries to banish the
          fairy tale." Lewis also said the best fantasy worked for young and old
          alike. Authors of children's fantasy examine how that holds in today's
          literature.

          Guests:

          Neil Gaiman, author of The Sandman comic book series; author of the
          books The Wolves in the Walls, American Gods, Neverwhere and Good Omens

          Christopher Paolini, 22-year-old author of the Eragon series;
          published first book at 15

          Tamora Pierce, author of a series of fantasy books for teenagers,
          including the Circle of Magic Quartet; her latest book is Trickster's
          Queen

          Lezlie
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 14, 2006
            >From: David Lenander <d-lena@...>

            >And don't forget recent Oz books by MythSoc members: Sherwood Smith's
            >_The Emerald Wand of Oz_ and Edward Einhorn's _the Living House of Oz_
            >(sequel to his interesting _Paradox_).

            Even more importantly, don't forget that Ellie needs these nominations e-mailed directly to her. Discussing them on-list is fine, but it won't be nominated unless you contact Ellie directly at emfarrell@... and tell her you are nominating these particular books for this particular award (children's, adult fiction, Inkling scholarship, or general myth and fantasy studies).

            I believe the only other rules are that the nominator must be a current member of the Mythopoeic Society (but does not have to be on one of the committees) and you may nominate a maximum of five titles for each award.

            The deadline is tomorrow (Feb. 15) I believe.

            Berni