Proceedings

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2006
      Just wondered if anyone had a copy of the Tolkien Centenary proceedings
      he/she might like to sell. I got an email from someone quite distressed to
      find it out of print, who's tried OP booksellers without success. I'd be
      happy to pass on any advice to my correspondent.

      Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...
      Art & Humanities Librarian & Coordinator of Graduate Instruction
      San Jose State University Library (http://www.sjlibrary.org)

      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2006
        On Feb 13, 2006, at 12:36 PM, Edith.Crowe@... wrote:
        > Just wondered if anyone had a copy of the Tolkien Centenary
        > proceedings
        > he/she might like to sell. I got an email from someone quite
        > distressed to
        > find it out of print, who's tried OP booksellers without success.
        > I'd be
        > happy to pass on any advice to my correspondent.
        >
        > Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...
        > Art & Humanities Librarian & Coordinator of Graduate Instruction
        > San Jose State University Library (http://www.sjlibrary.org)
        >
        > Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://
        > www.mythsoc.org)

        There's a copy for sell at www.adcbooks.co.uk, but the price is stiff
        (sixty-five pounds). This bookseller has quite a lot of unusual
        Tolkien items for those with deep pockets, from a UK edition of a TK
        Graphics pamphlet to a copy of SONGS FOR THE PHILOLOGISTS.

        Speaking of interesting Tolkien-related books, has anyone heard
        anything about THE RING OF WORDS, the forthcoming book about Tolkien
        and the OED? The Tolkien Society has a brief piece on it on their
        website, and it seems that the US edition is coming out in May. A
        great topic; just hope the book can live up to it.

        --JDR

      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 16, 2006
          John wrote:

          >Speaking of interesting Tolkien-related books, has anyone heard
          >anything about THE RING OF WORDS, the forthcoming book about Tolkien
          >and the OED? The Tolkien Society has a brief piece on it on their
          >website, and it seems that the US edition is coming out in May. A
          >great topic; just hope the book can live up to it.

          It's a very good book, one of the most valuable on Tolkien to come along. I
          read it for OUP, both in draft and in final text, and was much impressed.
          The authors, three editors at the OED, will be speaking at the Tolkien
          conference at Exeter College, Oxford this coming August.

          Wayne Hammond