5 children & It

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2006
      Actually, I think I commented upon it in this forum in the last couple
      of months. I recalled it being titled "The Sand Fairy," but I bought
      it around Christmas, and it doesn't seem to be, so I may have mistaken
      this, or perhaps the WonderWorks broadcast in the U.S. on PBS was
      titled that. I think it's a pretty nice treatment, done by another,
      contemporary Children's Fantasy writer, Helen Cresswell. There are
      some things changed, but overall, it's pretty faithful to the original,
      as far as I can remember. (Ending is changed, but in a way that's
      quite appropriate). A new sequel, _The Return of It_, which is NOT
      about the original 5 children, but concerns a new set of children, and
      the same Psammead ( or at least the same puppet) is also included in my
      box set of the DVDs. Says it is dramatized by Helen Cresswell, also,
      but I've only watched the very beginning. Clearly, it's NOT based upon
      Nesbit, except insofar as it's apparently inspired by the original
      story, with new magical adventures and featuring the same psammead
      puppet and voice from the first series.

      Approach the recent big-budget motion picture _Five Children and It_ ,
      also recently available on DVD, with great caution. May be of
      interest, but the radical changes to Nesbit's story, and the liberal
      borrowing from C.S. Lewis's LWW upset my daughter greatly. On the
      other hand, there's some spectacular big-budget special effects and
      hammy acting by fine actors. I'd rent it before buying it.

      On Feb 4, 2006, at 2:43 PM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 19:53:00 -0600
      > From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>
      > Subject: FIVE CHILDREN AND IT
      >
      > Just noted the availability at www.BBCAmerica.com of a DVD set of a
      > miniseries based on E. Nesbit's FIVE CHILDREN AND IT. For those who
      > like
      > this kind of thing (count me as one) and who may remember Nesbit's
      > influence
      > upon CS Lewis. "About 5 hours on 2 DVDs."
      >
      > "When five children unearth and befriend an ancient-and irritable-sand
      > fairy
      > known as 'It,' they discover the wish-granting business is tougher
      > than it
      > looks."
      >
      > I don't know how good the BBC version is; I don't remember ever seeing
      > it.
      >
      > http://www.bbcamericashop.com/default.asp?
      > cpa=searchcatalog&mdm=&ctl=&cc=&stl=&ssc=&filtermode=
      > or
      > http://tinyurl.com/8f2a4
      >

      > Diamond Proudbrook

      David Lenander