Re: [mythsoc] Hodgepodge

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
      From: "Cai Cherie" <eternityfindsitself@...>

      > Back in the late 70s, early 80s, I was occaisonly able to attend meetings
      > of the NY CS Lewis Society. I remember being told, in a very sotto voice
      > sort of way, that it was had --on good authority -- though what that
      > authority was, was never put to any test -- that Lewis was a virgin.

      I do remember this being put about at that time, can't be sure where I got
      it (never was at the NY CSL), but I think in something Hooper wrote. Later
      he wrote a retraction wh I remember reading.

      I personally didn't believe it, even at the time (having read FOUR LOVES and
      A GRIEF OBSERVED), but would like to add this:

      =I= know people, including some men, who I think are probably virgins. And
      so what? If we are Christian (as some of us, by no means all, in the
      MythSoc are), are we letting modern society around us - what the Bible calls
      "the world" - set our standards for us? Does CSL have to have sexual
      experience as a "badge of honor"? I think not.

      I close with what he himself wrote in THE PROBLEM OF PAIN:

      "I have been warned not even to raise the question of animal immortality,
      lest I find myself 'in company with all the old maids.' I have no objection
      to the company. I do not think either virginity or old age contemptible, and
      some of the shrewdest minds I have met inhabited the bodies of old maids."

      I really like the opening of that third sentence. Very forcefully Lewisian.

      Diamond Proudbrook
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
        In a message dated 2/2/2006 4:10:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        Stolzi@... writes:

        I do remember this being put about at that time, can't be sure where I got
        it (never was at the NY CSL), but I think in something Hooper wrote. Later
        he wrote a retraction wh I remember reading.

        My memory is that Hooper did claim that Lewis was a virgin his whole life.
        Later he decided this was wrong and quit making that claim. I don't think he
        retracted his previous view. He just acted like he had never made the
        claim. In any case, there are places in both Lewis's and Davidman's writings
        where they clearly say that their marriage was consummated.