Re: [mythsoc] Re: English People

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
      Ben:
      I should specify that the name "N.I.C.E." does not occur in
      Barfield's work. I meant rather that Barfield has a similar
      organization in his novel that I believe directly inspired Lewis's
      Nat'l Institute some fifteen years later. The group in Barfield's
      book is much more shadowy and behind the scenes, less overt (as such
      a group would have been in the 1920s, as opposed to the mid-40s). The
      only specific parallel I can recall is the rescue of an animal from
      their vivisectionist near the climax of the book.
      --JDR

      One anecdote about the book: I told Barfield, after I'd read it,
      that I was pleased to have discovered the source of the title in
      Meredith's MODERN LOVE (the same work that provided him with the
      title for THIS EVER-DIVERSE PAIR), only to be told that this wasn't
      the case; the completely apt context in Meredith, which would have
      shed considerable insight into what was going on in the novel, had no
      intended application within the story at all. Which just goes to show
      that the best theories run aground on cold, hard fact; a valuable
      lesson I've never forgotten.

      On Feb 2, 2006, at 6:49 AM, menelvagor1939 wrote:
      > Dear John,
      >
      > Thanks for this additional information on Barfield's novels, and for
      > correcting my impression that ENGLISH PEOPLE was unfinished. I approve
      > your suggestion about trying to get them into print.
      >
      > That's very interesting about N.I.C.E. I thought that was an obvious
      > pun that Lewis invented. Now that makes me wonder if he DID indeed
      > write the "beauty of the female" quote.
      >
      > Ben

    • menelvagor1939
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
        John:

        Thanks for these addtional fascinating details. As for what Barfield
        told you, the key phrase is "no intended application". That doesn't
        mean there wasn't one. As you know, an author's conscious intention in
        writing ( if he has one) is often far less powerful than the
        unconscious forces of his imagination where he will have stored all
        his experience including his reading. The "huge and mighty forms"
        abiding there will often cause the work in process to take on a life
        of its own far beyond the author's conscious intention. Beyond that,
        his readers will interpret what he writes in the light of their own
        experience, real or imagined. It seems to me, then, that real facts
        are those which come into being as the reader's imagination meets and
        greets that of the author's.

        Ben

        In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

        > Ben:
        > I should specify that the name "N.I.C.E." does not occur in
        > Barfield's work. I meant rather that Barfield has a similar
        > organization in his novel that I believe directly inspired Lewis's
        > Nat'l Institute some fifteen years later. The group in Barfield's
        > book is much more shadowy and behind the scenes, less overt (as such
        > a group would have been in the 1920s, as opposed to the mid-40s). The
        > only specific parallel I can recall is the rescue of an animal from
        > their vivisectionist near the climax of the book.
        > --JDR
        >
        > One anecdote about the book: I told Barfield, after I'd read it,
        > that I was pleased to have discovered the source of the title in
        > Meredith's MODERN LOVE (the same work that provided him with the
        > title for THIS EVER-DIVERSE PAIR), only to be told that this wasn't
        > the case; the completely apt context in Meredith, which would have
        > shed considerable insight into what was going on in the novel, had no
        > intended application within the story at all. Which just goes to show
        > that the best theories run aground on cold, hard fact; a valuable
        > lesson I've never forgotten.
        >

        > On Feb 2, 2006, at 6:49 AM, menelvagor1939 wrote:
        > > Dear John,
        > >
        > > Thanks for this additional information on Barfield's novels, and for
        > > correcting my impression that ENGLISH PEOPLE was unfinished. I approve
        > > your suggestion about trying to get them into print.
        > >
        > > That's very interesting about N.I.C.E. I thought that was an obvious
        > > pun that Lewis invented. Now that makes me wonder if he DID indeed
        > > write the "beauty of the female" quote.
        > >
        > > Ben

      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
          News of interest from www.scifi.com:

          Musical Rings Takes The Stage

          The curtain rises Feb. 4 on the multimillion-dollar stage musical
          version of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings in Toronto, the
          Reuters news service reported.

          The production will align theater and a range of musical traditions,
          including work by Finnish group Varttina and Indian composer A.R.
          Rahman, to deliver a retelling of Tolkien's fantasy classic, producer
          Kevin Wallace told Reuters.

          Previews begin on Saturday at Toronto's Princess of Wales Theater,
          ahead of a March 23 world premiere. The show boasts a 55-strong cast
          and three acts and will run more than three hours.

          It is hoped the show will go to London next and then, if the musical
          proves to be a hit, to Broadway.

          Here's the original link:
          http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=34486

          Ah, to be in Toronto in the coming weeks.

          --JDR